Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ranger is online now (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10379)

Carl@Semroc 12-13-2011 10:42 AM

The Ranger is online. The WAC Corporal is in the final stages and the Bandit is, hopefully, before the end of the week.

Initiator001 12-13-2011 10:47 AM

Cool!

Looking forward to the new kits. :)

BEC 12-13-2011 04:05 PM

And is in my saved cart (along with a backup Trident), awaiting further developments.

I also see the Christmas offer is live. Thanks!!!

BoosterDude 12-13-2011 06:37 PM

Now we're talking!

jharding58 12-13-2011 09:36 PM

Wait a minute; NAR+SAM+CHRISTMAS? No field length limit to shake us up?

Right, no sense being greedy. I'll go with Christmas...

Scott6060842 12-14-2011 01:52 PM

Wow, what a deal.
My Christmas order is IN :)
Semroc = Santa's elves making rockets? How else could they do it?

chanstevens 12-14-2011 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The Ranger is online. The WAC Corporal is in the final stages and the Bandit is, hopefully, before the end of the week.

The Ranger looks great, though I remember what a pain it was on my clone project to mask that paint job, and I wound up printing out a checkerboard decal for the top stripe. Any chance you'd consider reworking the decals in the future to include at least the checkerboard, if not the vertical black stripes too? That's got to knock at least half an hour out of the finishing time.

Doug Sams 12-14-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
The Ranger looks great, though I remember what a pain it was on my clone project to mask that paint job, and I wound up printing out a checkerboard decal for the top stripe. Any chance you'd consider reworking the decals in the future to include at least the checkerboard, if not the vertical black stripes too? That's got to knock at least half an hour out of the finishing time.
The black and white in the fin can areas should be sprayed (but it's possible to do trim monokote instead). The rest if it can be done with trimkote. Just paint the forward section white, then cut some trimkote strips out and apply them. That's what I did for my 2x version. That's a lot easier and less tedious than painting :) Doug .

Carl@Semroc 12-15-2011 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens

I did consider a decal for the payload section, but it would have added $6.00 to the cost, based on the size. Only one would fit on a sheet. It is also difficult to get a decal to cover that area without wrinkles. Tape and monocote are easier for me to get straight lines than the thin decal material. I had thought of printing it on the vinyl stock that we use for tape discs, but it is even harder to apply without wrinkles. Decisions, decisions....

chanstevens 12-15-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
I did consider a decal for the payload section, but it would have added $6.00 to the cost, based on the size. Only one would fit on a sheet. It is also difficult to get a decal to cover that area without wrinkles. Tape and monocote are easier for me to get straight lines than the thin decal material. I had thought of printing it on the vinyl stock that we use for tape discs, but it is even harder to apply without wrinkles. Decisions, decisions....

Yeah, a single decal for the payload would be expensive overkill, especially since it would be mostly clear, gobbling up a lot of decal stock real estate. I was thinking more along the lines of just the checkerboard as one small decal, and a few black rectangles tightly nested . Then again, that's simple enough I suspect I could whip one off myself in less time than I'd spend masking. I've just never been a big fan of monokote or tape on smaller models--they tend to look way too "thick" for my taste.