Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Plans & Publications (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Centuri Sabre #5360 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=20291)

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-17-2022 05:22 PM

Centuri Sabre #5360

Every few years I'm reminded that this rocket allegedly existed in 1983, but I've yet to see anything other than the catalog shot of it. It thought it looked like an Estes Wizard with upside down fins, but I think the fins are a bit less steep. Opinions, anyone? Or even better, plans and scans?

Earl 02-17-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Every few years I'm reminded that this rocket allegedly existed in 1983, but I've yet to see anything other than the catalog shot of it. It thought it looked like an Estes Wizard with upside down fins, but I think the fins are a bit less steep. Opinions, anyone? Or even better, plans and scans?

Bill-

For the small, phenomenal fee of $0.00, I can give you the whole smash on this kit. Sorry that prices have gone up a fair amount, but inflation IS running rampant these days, ya know! ;)

Not at my ‘data vault’ right now, but I’ll post the files in this thread sometime later this eve.

Earl

Earl 02-17-2022 05:33 PM

Yep, that is it top right.

Earl

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-17-2022 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Bill-

For the small, phenomenal fee of $0.00, I can give you the whole smash on this kit. Sorry that prices have gone up a fair amount, but inflation IS running rampant these days, ya know! ;)

Not at my ‘data vault’ right now, but I’ll post the files in this thread sometime later this eve.

Earl

:D So, it did exist? I'm impressed that you've actually tracked down info. I'll be looking forward to seeing it. My weekend flying plans are looking a bit soggy at the moment, so this will give me something to distract myself.
Thanks. :cool:

Earl 02-17-2022 09:21 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I have only seen one Sabre ever and it appeared on eBay a few years ago and I grabbed it. I have never seen any other, though I am sure they exist. Having been issued in Centuri's last year, I suspect not too very many were made.

These are Estes parts at this point, but I do not know (have not looked it up) the exact Estes PNC this is for this kit. Body tube is 9.75" long. Streamer is the standard vinyl stuff used in kits of that era, 1.25" wide and 18" long.

Below are scans that basically make up all aspects of the kit.

Earl

Earl 02-17-2022 09:33 PM

Ok, directly from the instructions the nose cone is a PNC-20N. I did not look too closely there when I was composing the message above.

Earl

Tau Zero 02-17-2022 11:54 PM

Quote:
Ok, directly from the instructions the nose cone is a PNC-20N. I did not look too closely there when I was composing the message above.
Earl,

I'm guessing the balsa is 1/16" thick? (or "Wizard-thin," as Bill E and I might say.)

"Jes? Noh?" ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-18-2022 05:19 AM

Quote:
I have only seen one Sabre ever and it appeared on eBay a few years ago and I grabbed it. I have never seen any other, though I am sure they exist. Having been issued in Centuri's last year, I suspect not too very many were made.

These are Estes parts at this point, but I do not know (have not looked it up) the exact Estes PNC this is for this kit. Body tube is 9.75" long. Streamer is the standard vinyl stuff used in kits of that era, 1.25" wide and 18" long.

Below are scans that basically make up all aspects of the kit.

Earl

Thanks, Earl! You've given a sense of order to my weekend. :cool:
Friday - gather Sabre parts, complete Sabre construction.
Saturday - Prime, paint and decal Sabre.
Sunday - Fly Centuri Sabre at Muckboot-Palooza. B6-4 Field is in AWFUL shape.

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-18-2022 05:21 AM

Quote:

Earl

I don't remember ever seeing a PNC 20N that looked like this one. All of mine have been the two piece Estes cones. This one appears to be one piece.

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-18-2022 08:24 AM

Scott, could you put Earl's info into it's own thread in the plans section? :cool: