Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Wanted: Dead or Alive! (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   WTB Estes Rigel-3 kit (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18811)

ghrocketman 09-06-2020 05:13 PM

WTB Estes Rigel-3 kit

As the title says, I'm looking to buy an Estes Rigel-3 kit.
Can be opened as am looking to build one.
Before someone suggests I just use a modern cone and clone it, I am NOT interested in the least in doing that. Has to be a kit.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-06-2020 06:52 PM

Too much actual work to clone one? Pretty nice clone build and a cool flyer.

ghrocketman 09-06-2020 07:10 PM

No longer have time nor patience to round up parts for cloning.
Same reason why I waited to find a K-21 Gemini Titan kit to build.
Yeah, it can be cloned; I barely have time to ever build/fly.

tbzep 09-06-2020 09:05 PM

Why don't you clone it? :D :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :D

John Brohm 09-07-2020 09:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
... Before someone suggests I just use a modern cone and clone it, I am NOT interested in the least in doing that. Has to be a kit.

I hope the search for the kit turns out well for you. It really is a nice model once finished.

Not wishing to hijack your thread, but I offer a word of caution about the kit - when I built mine a few years ago, I found there were some fit problems with the die-crushed pieces that make up the fins. I wrote about the problem in a YORF thread at the time, but for convenience, I've reposted the article here (slightly edited).

I also found that the dowel stock that was to be used for those cool looking struts was a bit warped; I remedied this problem by substituting carbon fiber tubes. Worked great.

And then the (by now) ~ 40 year old decals: for the most part they were ok (a few struggled to get off the sheet due to some aged, overly aggressive decal adhesive), but I had a few back ups from Gordon, just in case.

So apart from these issues, the kit was great. Depending on your building goals, even with the kit you may find yourself at least doing a bit of scratch-building, if not cloning.

Good luck, and hope you find a good condition kit.

ghrocketman 09-09-2020 11:34 AM

Anyone ?

ghrocketman 09-24-2020 12:30 AM

Anybody have a Rigel-3 kit they are willing to part with ?
Opened but complete is fine as I plan to build it.

tbzep 09-24-2020 07:21 AM

Must......not......tell............GH....it......c an................easily.....................be... ...cloned...using...an....Astron......Explorer.... ..NC!

:D

ghrocketman 09-24-2020 09:20 AM

Tbzep-
Thanks. I did not realize that cone is still in production.

tbzep 09-24-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:
Tbzep-
Thanks. I did not realize that cone is still in production.

IIRC, the cone for the Astron Explorer (and Dark Energy) is from a new mold with some minor changes compared to the Odyssey and Rigel-3. Not enough changes to prevent a nice clone model, though. I've never had my hands on the vintage cone so I couldn't say what the changes are.

Edit: Here is John's explanation of the nose cone.
https://oldrocketforum.com/showpost...735&postcount=3

ghrocketman 09-24-2020 10:35 AM

I have an old beat-up Rigel-3 that I can "pirate" the original cone from.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-24-2020 10:45 AM

Yeah, but you don't have the time or patience to gather parts for cloning. :rolleyes:

ghrocketman 09-24-2020 11:25 AM

For this one, I might clone it.
Looks like nobody has one to sell.

jetlag 09-24-2020 01:20 PM

Well, the few I've seen have gone for ridiculous prices.
Now that the nose cone is being made again, I would clone it.
Papa tango for decals. Pricey, for sure, unless you can print your own.
Good luck, GH!

Allen

jeffyjeep 09-24-2020 03:41 PM

I don’t have a kit, but I DO have a new cone that you can have if you can wait until I return from my job in Kingsland, GA on 10-2.

Earl 09-24-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I don’t have a kit, but I DO have a new cone that you can have if you can wait until I return from my job in Kingsland, GA on 10-2.

You down at the sub base there in Kingsland? As GH will probably tell ya, he’s doing the ‘drink in the hand, toes in the sand’ vacation thing right now, so I would suspect waiting will not be a problem for him! ;)

Earl

tbzep 09-24-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
You down at the sub base there in Kingsland? As GH will probably tell ya, he’s doing the ‘drink in the hand, toes in the sand’ vacation thing right now, so I would suspect waiting will not be a problem for him! ;)
Earl

Time to pull out the Van Halen II album. Beautiful Girls...

jeffyjeep 09-24-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Earl

Yes, my crew and I are installing a machine at the sub base. Today, for the first time in my life, I saw a female submariner.

Earl 09-24-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Yes, my crew and I are installing a machine at the sub base. Today, for the first time in my life, I saw a female submariner.

Was she female in the strict biological sense, or was it more obvious than that?

Earl

ghrocketman 09-24-2020 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm DEFINITELY doing the "Drink in the hand, toes in the sand" deal right now.
Actually spending more time poolside than in the ocean.
Consuming plenty of Glenmorangie, Macallan, and Glenfiddich in addition to Don Julio Anejo.
Lots of delicious seafood, Steaks, and Lamb Chops.
Pure paradise !

It's rough, but somebody has to support the tourist economy here....

Earl 09-24-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:
Consuming plenty of Glenmorangie, Macallan, and Glenfiddich in addition to Don Julio Anejo.
Pure paradise !

Ok, well, I just snacked on some Cheez-Its! Ha! Take that!!

Wait a minute...on second thought that doesn’t really stack up too well, does it? :o

Earl

jeffyjeep 09-24-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:
Was she female in the strict biological sense, or was it more obvious than that?

Earl

I didn’t ask, but I surmise “female at birth and female at present time”.

ghrocketman 09-24-2020 08:58 PM

The pic is my better half, Joanna.
She does our travel planning and always does a great job at it. :)

LeeR 09-24-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I hope the search for the kit turns out well for you. It really is a nice model once finished.

Not wishing to hijack your thread, but I offer a word of caution about the kit - when I built mine a few years ago, I found there were some fit problems with the die-crushed pieces that make up the fins. I wrote about the problem in a YORF thread at the time, but for convenience, I've reposted the article here (slightly edited).

I also found that the dowel stock that was to be used for those cool looking struts was a bit warped; I remedied this problem by substituting carbon fiber tubes. Worked great.

And then the (by now) ~ 40 year old decals: for the most part they were ok (a few struggled to get off the sheet due to some aged, overly aggressive decal adhesive), but I had a few back ups from Gordon, just in case.

So apart from these issues, the kit was great. Depending on your building goals, even with the kit you may find yourself at least doing a bit of scratch-building, if not cloning.

Good luck, and hope you find a good condition kit.

John, very nice document on your build! And beautiful execution. I was out of the hobby and we were starting a family in the early 80s, so I missed out on this one (plus a lot of other cool kits). Also, I didn’t realize it was a two-stage. Your staging picture is really cool.

LeeR 09-24-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
IIRC, the cone for the Astron Explorer (and Dark Energy) is from a new mold with some minor changes compared to the Odyssey and Rigel-3. Not enough changes to prevent a nice clone model, though. I've never had my hands on the vintage cone so I couldn't say what the changes are.

Edit: Here is John's explanation of the nose cone.
https://oldrocketforum.com/showpost...735&postcount=3

It looks like that nose cone is part of the Sci-Fi set. AC Supply sells it for $10.19.

https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/es...scifit_asst.htm

ghrocketman 09-24-2020 10:49 PM

Great staging pic, John !
I see you have it on a table appropriately next to the other Estes futuristic two-stager, the USS Pleiades. I have two of those kits.

Earl 10-09-2020 07:44 PM

GH-

In case you have not seen this listing, here ya go: Link- https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Es...AAOSw18BfgNs l

Earl

ghrocketman 10-10-2020 02:27 AM

Good Grief !
It's already up to $150.00 including shipping with 9 days left on the auction.
I want one but won't go INSANE-O on the price.
Over $150 for that thing is ridiculous.

Earl 10-10-2020 06:24 AM

It jumped up quickly apparently. It was $50-something when I posted the link....

Earl

Neal Miller 10-10-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:
Pure paradise !

GH, are you still in the states or have you gone to an Island?

ghrocketman 10-10-2020 03:47 PM

I was at Secrets Resort, Playa Mujeres Mexico (NE of Cancun), but I'm back now.
Got back just before the hurricanes got to the Cancun area.
Was there 10 days. Best trip everrrrrrr.