Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Saturn 1B Build Project (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3773)

foose4string 08-30-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Dang it, I was planning on starting the project during the three day weekend, but our USPS seems to have gotten crappy on Atlanta the past couple of months. My sky-of-gold certificates got here today properly mangled one or two days after everybody else seemed to get them (actually, they aren't in that bad a shape, though my mail carrier did nearly put a crease in one of them).

My mail carrier did a nice job of folding mine too. Could be worse....like wet, mangled, or lost. ;)

barone 08-30-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Carl:

I found a bunch of decent scale data for this specific mission. Way too much to post here as attachment. I'll try emailing it you to at Semroc, but we might want to see if someone here would be willing to temporarily host it (note--some of these are commercial grade photos and should probably not be freely distributed across the net). Example--I've got the John Pursley photos.

Chan,

You got my e-mail address....

chanstevens 08-30-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Chan,

You got my e-mail address....

The zip file is about 50 meg, and that's going to suck up a whole lotta bandwidth if I wind up emailing it around to everyone. Anybody want to pony up some online storage briefly?

I'd be willing to put it out on bit torrent, but I doubt most of the old farts around hear are familiar with that file sharing technique :p .

Royatl 08-30-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
The zip file is about 50 meg, and that's going to suck up a whole lotta bandwidth if I wind up emailing it around to everyone. Anybody want to pony up some online storage briefly?

I'd be willing to put it out on bit torrent, but I doubt most of the old farts around hear are familiar with that file sharing technique :p .

Sure, I can put it up, but it'll have to wait till tomorrow as I'm about to go out the door. I'll email you the particulars (ftp server and account) later tonight.

chanstevens 09-01-2008 11:21 AM

Gloss or flat?

What type of finish are we looking for here? Scale-like flat or show-off glossy?

I'm priming the tubes now, might be finish coating them in a couple days.

Carl@Semroc 09-01-2008 11:23 AM

I think the gloss is more durable.

Chas Russell 09-01-2008 12:56 PM

I did not receive the kit Saturday, so opened kit #21 and will start to fill spirals on the main tubes. Glossy finish, check.

Chas

Eagle3 09-01-2008 08:57 PM

I got mine Saturday and got the tube spirals filled yesterday. Has any one built this one similar to the 1/70 Estes Sat 1b and painted it in sub-assemblies? I'm just worried about seams or an ill fit with the scallop shroud.

dwmzmm 09-01-2008 09:25 PM

Carl, I know I'm very late getting here, but my internet service (DSL) had been out for the past 2 1/2 weeks and I just got it back on line this afternoon. If you have one more build of
the Saturn 1-B, I can do one. I still have my original Estes 1/70 kit ("in-the-box") I haven't
started on (yet). I do, however, have my original Centuri 1/100 Saturn 1-B (which is the
Apollo - 7 round) in my collection, so I can use it as a reference point .

Also, speaking of Richard Benevides, I've e-mailed him some time ago asking if he was going
to compete in a Regional meet at JSC (as he did back in the Fall 2005). From his response, I
gather that he was no longer interested in building & flying model rockets. I do, however,
see that he posts in the Space - Modelers Yahoo Group (mostly pertaining to plastic/static
models) often.

Carl@Semroc 09-01-2008 09:56 PM

Dave,

It will go out tomorrow. Thanks!

I did not realize the Centuri 1B was Apollo 7. Does anyone have the service model silver wrap?