Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What to do? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11306)

mycrofte 07-10-2012 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would post another picture now that it's painted. Far from finished since I'm making up the paint scheme as I go. Tried two different fin colors but like the yellow best.
_______________________________________________

mycrofte 07-10-2012 04:13 PM

Almost forgot.

Since this is a mid power rocket, should I double up the shock cord or buy bigger than 3/16"?
___________

tbzep 07-10-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
Almost forgot.

Since this is a mid power rocket, should I double up the shock cord or buy bigger than 3/16"?
___________

I have no idea what it weighs, but I'd use at least 1/4" or 3/8".

1/2" won't hurt as long as there's room for it. Too small is catastrophic. Too big is just a minor weight penalty.

mycrofte 07-10-2012 06:22 PM

Well, it is a 2.6" tube about 18" long. So, even with the baffle in it, there is a lot of room.
_____________________________

tbzep 07-10-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
Well, it is a 2.6" tube about 18" long. So, even with the baffle in it, there is a lot of room.
_____________________________


I'd go with 1/4". The 3/16" that Estes kits uses is pretty flimsy and I generally replace it, but if it's good heavy duty stuff it will be ok.

mycrofte 07-14-2012 04:14 PM

So, I went with the 3/8" elastic from Wal Mart. I also made the paper mount twice as big as my regular Estes type rockets.

The elastic came in a 6 foot piece. Should I go double the rocket (4') or use it all?
_____________________________________

tbzep 07-14-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
So, I went with the 3/8" elastic from Wal Mart. I also made the paper mount twice as big as my regular Estes type rockets.

The elastic came in a 6 foot piece. Should I go double the rocket (4') or use it all?
_____________________________________


More is always better. ;)

chadrog 07-14-2012 06:15 PM

As long as you have the room, use it all - 6' is by no means too long.

mycrofte 07-16-2012 09:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, it is as finished as it is going to get. Looks like crap up close though. I wanted to put a coat of clear gloss over it and it came out beaded for some reason.

I had to sand about half of it down and redo some of the paint job. I was a bit ticked about it and did a half-a$$ job to get it done. I was temped to sand the whole thing and start over!
________________________________

mycrofte 07-22-2012 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would put up one last picture of it with decals. Just a pack of peel & stick letters from Hobby Lobby.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.