PDA

View Full Version : Arapahoe

Brain
12-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Love this one.
Anyody know anything about this rocket? Was it a kit? Do any plans exist?
I'd love to clone it...

Feyd
12-22-2010, 05:55 AM
A quick check on EMR reveals this page:

Thrustline Aerospace (http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/oop_ta_arapahoe.shtml)

Looks like a great kit.

InFlight
12-22-2010, 07:09 AM
This kit only made it to beta, John never released it as a production kit.

InFlight
12-22-2010, 07:12 AM
Talk to Sandman if you want to clone this.

YORF Thread (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6902&highlight=Arapahoe)

sandman
12-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Just go to my web site,

http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/

On the home page scroll down about 1/4 the way down and click on "add to cart".

Feyd
12-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Just ordered the decals and fin patterns from Gordy. Going to have to look at my tube stocks to see if I have any BT-60. I know I don't have the nose or tail cones. Looks like another order going Semroc's way soon!

sandman
12-22-2010, 09:05 AM
I'll try to get your decals and planset shipped out today.

You will also need to order from SEMROC ;

BNC-60VD nose cone (drilled out so you can add nose weight.

and a BTC--60VZ tail cone.

The original design called for a 17" BT-60 'cause John was getting 34" length of BT-60 and cutting them in half but an 18" length will work.

Feyd
12-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Gordy. No rush on the decal and pattern set.

What thickness balsa for the fins? I need to go buy some more.

Yep, got all the parts ready to go on the Semroc site. I got the 18" BT-60, the tailcone, the nosecone you recommended in a TRF thread, and a baffle. This is a cool-looking rocket - should be fun to build. Of course with everything else I have in my queue, it might have to wait a while. I've got a lot of really cool kits waiting...

sandman
12-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Gordy. No rush on the decal and pattern set.

What thickness balsa for the fins? I need to go buy some more.

Yep, got all the parts ready to go on the Semroc site. I got the 18" BT-60, the tailcone, the nosecone you recommended in a TRF thread, and a baffle. This is a cool-looking rocket - should be fun to build. Of course with everything else I have in my queue, it might have to wait a while. I've got a lot of really cool kits waiting...

The decals will ship at noon when I make my trip to the post office.

The fins and the strakes are 1/8" balsa. The strakes add a really nice touch to the model.

If I were you I would move this kit to the front of the line.

It's a really cool looking model! ;)

Brain
12-22-2010, 01:45 PM
You people are just awesome!
Thanks for everything!

Feyd
12-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Gordy had a parts list in another forum. Here's what I ordered from Semroc:

BT-60 (18") body tube
BC-1650 (5") nosecone
BTC-16V2 tailcone

Along with a baffle and a few other items.

sandman
12-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Gordy had a parts list in another forum. Here's what I ordered from Semroc:

BT-60 (18") body tube
BC-1650 (5") nosecone
BTC-16V2 tailcone

Along with a baffle and a few other items.

The original had a shorter nose cone (3.75" I think) the longer 5" looks much better...sleeker. ;)

Mine was an original and I made a longer nose cone for it.

PaulK
12-23-2010, 10:31 PM
The original photo you posted was, I believe, an 'F' upscale of the original Thrustline Arapahoe-E. If I recall the story correctly, the Arapahoe-E was designed by John as a tribute to an Arapahoe friend of his, and a nod to one of his favorite classics, the Cherokee-D. It flies very nicely on D12 and E9 motors, but does need nose weight for an E9.

brianc
12-23-2010, 11:30 PM
does need nose weight for an E9.
Huh?!?! My stock Arapahoe flies great on AeroTech E30's (43 grams vs. 36 for the E9).

Now, my ArapaGoon-E... That needs nose weight!

tbzep
12-23-2010, 11:44 PM
I've wondered ever since I first saw the Thrustline kit. How do you pronounce "Arapahoe"?

Brain
12-24-2010, 12:34 AM
The original photo you posted was, I believe, an 'F' upscale of the original Thrustline Arapahoe-E. If I recall the story correctly, the Arapahoe-E was designed by John as a tribute to an Arapahoe friend of his, and a nod to one of his favorite classics, the Cherokee-D. It flies very nicely on D12 and E9 motors, but does need nose weight for an E9.
I've been looking over this plethora of info from you folks (thank you again!) and it's interesting that John was entranced by the Cherokee-D way back in the day, because that's pretty much my story. When my Dad took my brother and I out for our first launch days back in the early 70's, there was one guy there who had a Cherokee-D, and I lusted after it (my first rocket was an Alpha with the plastic fin can and NC, which I promptly lost on its first flight, deep into the palmetto scrub). I never got a Cherokee (the only other rockets I remember having was an X-Ray and an Honest John - my Dad had to have a Big Bertha!), and then rocketry went away for a long time.

Now that this BAR thing is going on, I'm designing rockets, too. And this Arapahoe defines my ideal of pushing the envelope of basic rocket design into high gear. Great rocket, I want one, and it in turn will inspire me.

Brain
12-24-2010, 12:36 AM
I've wondered ever since I first saw the Thrustline kit. How do you pronounce "Arapahoe"?
Uh-RAP-uh-hoe.

Gus
12-24-2010, 09:01 AM
The original had a shorter nose cone (3.75" I think) the longer 5" looks much better...sleeker. ;)

Mine was an original and I made a longer nose cone for it.

The Arapahoe is a classically beautiful design.

Feyd
12-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Oh Goodie!!!

My decals from Sandman arrived today... so did the parts from Semroc! Looks like I have a build coming up. Too bad I can't take it all with me on my business trip next week.

Bob H
12-27-2010, 10:54 PM
John, from Thrustline, posted over on TRF this afternoon. He mentioned that he hadn't been on any of the forums for a long time.

He also said he has Black Shadow and Pumpkin Head kits ready to ship.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=155505#post155505

Bravo52
12-28-2010, 07:55 AM
John, from Thrustline, posted over on TRF this afternoon. He mentioned that he hadn't been on any of the forums for a long time.

He also said he has Black Shadow and Pumpkin Head kits ready to ship.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=155505#post155505

I wouldn't jump too quickly on the Black Shadow or Pumpkin... I think the statement was part of his previous tag line and it hasn't been updated...

Bob H
12-28-2010, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't jump too quickly on the Black Shadow or Pumpkin... I think the statement was part of his previous tag line and it hasn't been updated...Good point. It was late and I wasn't paying attention. :o