PDA

View Full Version : I need some instant gratification!

six-o-one
11-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Now, hold on a second. Those responses which are going through your minds right now are totally inappropriate. Anyway, it would be so nice to actually be able to go to a store and see, touch, examine, and then buy what you want. My other hobby requires that almost everything come through the mail. Stinks, but that is the way it is. But, it would be really nice to be able to go to Hobby Lobby, a hobby shop, or wherever, for Pete's sake and buy a rocket I actually want. Untold numbers of Hobby Lobbys, Michaels and hobby shops around here and not one with a Navaho AGM (to replace the one which went,uh, astray, shall we say). Just get tired of waiting on everything through the mail. Sorry, thought I would give the wife a break and complain to someone else.

jflis
11-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Your best bet in that case is to approach the hobby shop owner or the person responsible for rocketry and provide them with some information. If you have a particular company that you would like them to carry give them a sheet that provides all the contact information along with information about their product (don't assume that they will take the contact info and go pouring over their web site - it won't happen :) )

If at all possible, bring in a sealed kit as well as a built kit. This will help show the quality to the owner. Quality packaging is critical today as product vie for hobby shop shelf space. If it doesn't look good, it don't go on the shelf.

Also be sure to provide your (the customer) reasons for wanting them to carry this product. Assure the owner that his investment will not be wasted and that the products he orders would sell. If you have specific kits that YOU are interested in, be sure to point those out.

In many cases, hobby shops (especially independantly owned ones) are always on the lookout for new products, especially if a particular line is getting stale on their shelves.

Chain stores (like Hobby Lobby) are not so easy to work with as they have to report back to corporate and do not have a lot of latitude...

hope this helps!
jim

raw9jr
11-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Countdown in CT is the answer to your complaint. I have the same issues in my hometown, but since I have inlaws in Danbury, I get to make an annual pilgramage to a place where I can touch what I buy. It's wonderful.