PDA

View Full Version : Updated DATA Files

Tau Zero
01-18-2009, 09:21 PM
We defin[it]ely need to get all the DATA files in a neat thread along with the component parts, tips and tricks, etc...Craig and "all y'all,"

Please post your updated DATA files on this thread once they're ready for public consumption. :cool:

Thanks and cheers,

CPMcGraw
01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Craig and "all y'all,"

Please post your updated DATA files on this thread once they're ready for public consumption. :cool:

Thanks and cheers,

What's that well-worn phrase again?

I'm workin' on it... :D

CPMcGraw
01-18-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm going to post these files in their last-known condition, meaning the data is the same as on the Studio thread from their last respective posts. In a few weeks, I am going to go through them again and finalize some descriptions that are not displaying as I'd like. The parts data, however, appears to be usable as-is.

For those who understand that CSV files are nothing more than "Comma Separated Values" spreadsheets, then you have the option of looking through your existing database files and culling out all of the old SEMROC data using Excel, Quattro, or Calc. If you don't want to go through all of that, then MOVE all of the CSV files already in your 'data' folder to some other folder, and place these files into the 'dataimport' folder.

I am going to save them here with their final filenames, meaning you only need to save them in the 'dataimport' folder, then run RockSim.

Mark II
01-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Craig,

Will these files work with RS 8, or are they RS 9-only? (I don't know if there is any difference in the file formats.)

Mark \\.

CPMcGraw
01-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Craig,

Will these files work with RS 8, or are they RS 9-only? (I don't know if there is any difference in the file formats.)

Mark \\.

I think these go back as far as V7, but I know they're the same as V8.

rkt2k1
01-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Craig, I didn't see the Semroc body tube master file that we worked on in your list so I've attached it to this post.

I followed your lead and uploaded file with final filename so it could just be saved in the Rocksim 'dataimport' folder.

Again, this is the same as the latest body tube file posted in the Studio thread. I imported each of the 8 parts files posted and have been using them in my latest builds. So far they seem ok.

... Bill

CPMcGraw
01-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Craig, I didn't see the Semroc body tube master file that we worked on in your list so I've attached it to this post.

I followed your lead and uploaded file with final filename so it could just be saved in the Rocksim 'dataimport' folder.

Again, this is the same as the latest body tube file posted in the Studio thread. I imported each of the 8 parts files posted and have been using them in my latest builds. So far they seem ok.

... Bill

Thanks, Bill. I totally missed that one. I thought they were all together in that list... :o

Everyone, go ahead and start using these files. Whenever new components are released, they'll have to be updated anyway.

rkt2k1
01-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Here are the Rocksim part files for Semroc parachutes and streamers. It includes every parachute and streamer I could find listed on the Semroc web site. If you see anything missing let me know and I'll get it added in.

Since this is first time these parts files are being posted, they should get the once over before importing. They are fairly small files due to the limited number of parts in these categories.

I think we are now down to just the mass objects parts to complete the Semroc master set. :)

... Bill

CPMcGraw
01-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Here are the Rocksim part files for Semroc parachutes and streamers. It includes every parachute and streamer I could find listed on the Semroc web site. If you see anything missing let me know and I'll get it added in.

Since this is first time these parts files are being posted, they should get the once over before importing. They are fairly small files due to the limited number of parts in these categories.

I think we are now down to just the mass objects parts to complete the Semroc master set. :)

... Bill

I would like to see some additional items in the MODATA file, if we can locate the weights. It would be nice to have some accurate data on snap swivels, Kevlar threads, and elastic chords. Either as individual parts, or as pre-assembled combos (ie - 24" of Kevlar thread, plus 24" of 1/8" elastic, plus a #10 or #12 snap swivel). Anyone know where we can get such data?

Thanks, Bill, for working up streamers and parachutes!

rosko_racer
01-21-2009, 11:55 PM
R these files to be used to replace the existing data files in Rocksim? Or are these to be "merged, imported, added" into the already data files?

I copied the original ones on a separate folder as a backup. Downloaded the new ones and placed them on a "new data" folder. Ran RS v8 and "imported" the new files into the data folder. All I can select now on parts are from SEMROC. Did I do this right? What about all the old data in the older data files?

CPMcGraw
01-22-2009, 12:08 AM
R these files to be used to replace the existing data files in Rocksim? Or are these to be "merged, imported, added" into the already data files?

I copied the original ones on a separate folder as a backup. Downloaded the new ones and placed them on a "new data" folder. Ran RS v8 and "imported" the new files into the data folder. All I can select now on parts are from SEMROC. Did I do this right? What about all the old data in the older data files?

As long as you have saved the old files in another folder, the data is still available. It's just not being accessed by RockSim. Make yet another copy of the old files, and put them somewhere else (another folder) as a backup. If you are comfortable working with spreadsheet CSV files, open each CSV and edit out (delete) any SEMROC data lines that came with it from Apogee. Save this file in the "new data" folder (RS8) or "dataimport" folder (RS9), using the base filename (ie - BTDATA.CSV), making sure the file format does not change. Some programs, like OpenOffice Calc, like to surround each cell with quotation marks as a default for CSV data, so make sure your spreadsheet does not. When you finish doing this for all of the affected CSV files, run RockSim and let it import the remaining original data back into its "working copy" of the database.

Some of us do prefer to use just the SEMROC data, since we only build LPR designs, so all of the other data is not required. We might also keep the BMS data on hand, since we like Bill's balsa work (and other goodies) as well.

If you're not comfortable working with database spreadsheets, then you can still just re-import the old files and deal with the many duplications of SEMROC components you'll wind up with.

CPMcGraw
01-22-2009, 12:17 AM
We need to work up some BMS component files as well, since Bill has some additional goodies we can always use. I ordered some of his plywood rings once, and really liked them. They were lightweight, but felt better than similar pressed-paper rings.

CPMcGraw
01-25-2009, 11:57 PM
It looks like the TRDATA file that was posted here was an early copy, and not the one that should have been. The attached file has a TON more parts included.

CPMcGraw
02-12-2009, 11:07 PM
I should have returned to this thread sooner. AFAIK, this represents the last complete list of the RockSim database files using SEMROC components. One or two of these files had some errors at one point, and I am not saying these contain the corrections. Since a new build (9.0.2 F72) has just been released, take this time to reload your database files from this post, and start using the components. If you spot an error, shout.

rkt2k1
02-28-2009, 01:06 AM
We have quietly released all the MRI/MPC balsa cones. We do not have tubes yet. They are
BC-T2032 MRI #620A (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=bc-t2032)
BC-T2014 MRI #620B (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=bc-t2014)
BC-T2032C MRI #620C (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=bc-t2032C)
BC-T2534 MRI #625A (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=bc-t2534)
BC-T3033 MRI #630A (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=bc-t3033)

I believe the BC-T2534 is the one for the Zenith II. The tube is 25mm (.984"). The ID is .945". It is CLOSE to a BT-50, but not exactly.

I found this note from Carl on another thread regarding some new cones he has added to the Semroc lineup. I worked up a Rocksim parts file for 4 of the 5 listed cones. It does not include T2032C. While Rocksim will work up a conical cone, the picture on the Semroc web-site indicates this is a rounded-tip cone.

You'll need to rename the attached file to NCDATA.CSV and place in the \Rocksim\DataImport directory to import new cones.

... Bill

CPMcGraw
02-28-2009, 07:40 AM
I found this note from Carl on another thread regarding some new cones he has added to the Semroc lineup. I worked up a Rocksim parts file for 4 of the 5 listed cones. It does not include T2032C. While Rocksim will work up a conical cone, the picture on the Semroc web-site indicates this is a rounded-tip cone.

You'll need to rename the attached file to NCDATA.CSV and place in the \Rocksim\DataImport directory to import new cones.

... Bill

The file imports fine. Thanks, Bill!

Pem Tech
02-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for posting these, we are grateful for the information.

rkt2k1
04-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I finally released the correct nose cones:

BC-1338B (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=bc-1338b) 57% downscale of Centuri BC-225B (BC-22567) and
BR-1013B (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=br-1013b) 57% downscale of Centuri BR-175-225 for the Hustler un-SLS.

BC-1038B (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=bc-1038b) 57% downscale of Centuri BC-157B (BC-17567) for the Aero-Dart un-SLS

BC-731B (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=bc-731b) 57% downscale of Centuri BC-125B (BC-12555) for the Scorpion un-SLS

I built them up to see what they looked like. Smaller than I thought. They are in the same scale as the Sky Hook and Javelin before they were SLS-ed. I have the laser-cut fins if anyone needs them. I would post pics, but they look the same, only smaller. :D

I found this note from Carl on another recent thread regarding some new cones and a new transition he has added to the Semroc lineup. I worked up the new parts in Rocksim. I also added 2 cones from the Semroc website which I didn't find in the master file.

You'll need to rename the attached files to NCDATA.CSV and TRDATA.CSV respectively and place them in the \Rocksim\DataImport directory to import the new parts.

... Bill

CPMcGraw
04-11-2009, 12:28 AM
I found this note from Carl on another recent thread regarding some new cones and a new transition he has added to the Semroc lineup. I worked up the new parts in Rocksim. I also added 2 cones from the Semroc website which I didn't find in the master file.

You'll need to rename the attached files to NCDATA.CSV and TRDATA.CSV respectively and place them in the \Rocksim\DataImport directory to import the new parts.

... Bill

...And we can download these from...where, exactly? :rolleyes: :D

rkt2k1
04-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Opps! Sorry about that! :o

They are attached to my previous post now.

Not sure what happened last time.

Let me know how they look.

Thanks,

... Bill

rkt2k1
04-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Carl added a couple of new cored transitions to the lineup.

TA-5055D (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=ta-5055d)
TA5055LD (http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodView.asp?sku=ta-5055ld)

I worked them up in Rocksim and imported them into my parts database. The core diameter (.75") is identified properly in both the import part file and the master after it is imported. However, when I check the part in Rocksim, the part has a core diameter of 0".

Not sure what is going on with this one. Can someone check out the parts file and let me know if you get same results or can spot problem in file?

I really like Rocksim, but the more I work under the hood with the parts files and parts management aspects of the software, it is the one area that really needs improvement! Improving parts management and correcting known issues should be development priorities.

I'm also seeing some inconsistencies with how Rocksim calculates CG for a transitions. It does not appear to be taking the inserts into account for calculation. Anyone else witness this problem.

... Bill

CPMcGraw
04-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Carl added a couple of new cored transitions to the lineup.

I worked them up in Rocksim and imported them into my parts database. The core diameter (.75") is identified properly in both the import part file and the master after it is imported. However, when I check the part in Rocksim, the part has a core diameter of 0".

Not sure what is going on with this one. Can someone check out the parts file and let me know if you get same results or can spot problem in file?

I really like Rocksim, but the more I work under the hood with the parts files and parts management aspects of the software, it is the one area that really needs improvement! Improving parts management and correcting known issues should be development priorities.

I'm also seeing some inconsistencies with how Rocksim calculates CG for a transitions. It does not appear to be taking the inserts into account for calculation. Anyone else witness this problem.

... Bill

It is a bug. The core diameter is clearly inserted into the database (CSV file), but the program is not picking the data up correctly. Apogee needs to hear from us on this one. Have you sent in a bug report yet?

rkt2k1
04-13-2009, 06:11 PM
It is a bug. The core diameter is clearly inserted into the database (CSV file), but the program is not picking the data up correctly. Apogee needs to hear from us on this one. Have you sent in a bug report yet?

Craig - that was my conclusion as well. Does Apogee have an official bug-tracking mechanism or is it just an email to Tim?

Thanks,

... Bill

CPMcGraw
05-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Folks,

Attached below is a cleaned-up version of the TRDATA.CSV file. There is an irritating bug in the data concerning our reversed nose cones. RockSim sees these nose cones as transitions, and as such, requires the smaller end to be greater than 0.0000". When RockSim sees a zero value, it chokes (gracefully, at least -- it tells you it's having a problem and allows you to correct it).

The correction to this file changed all of those values to 0.0001", which is fully acceptable to RockSim. The program now happily moves along without complaining.

ADDENDUM: This file only contains SEMROC components, but includes those which are duplicates of Estes components. It does not contain the entire database of components offered by Apogee in their RockSim distribution. Just be aware of this ommission, and if you need the other companies' component catalogs, you can still add them back with a little spreadsheet editing.

CPMcGraw
05-25-2009, 05:18 PM
I'd like to call out to our RockSim users who are familiar with the format of the CSV files, and ask for help again in updating the database with components (primarily SEMROC, Estes, and BMS) that have been introduced since the last makeover. The files are not difficult to update, since they are only spreadsheet files.

Perhaps we can get together in this thread and plan out who wants to tackle which files. That way we don't overlap anyone else's efforts. We should be able to finish this quickly, if we get three or four people on the job.

Who wants to help?

Thanks in advance.

rkt2k1
05-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Craig,

Count me in! Just let me know what parts and manufacturer you'd like me to work on.

As a side note / question: Do you think there would be any interest in a Rocksim Parts Manager type application? I've been kicking around the idea to dust off some of my .NET development skills and put together an application we could use to ease the task of managing Rocksim parts.

I've come to the conclusion, that accurate parts, are critical to a design, just as a solid foundation is to a building.

... Bill

CPMcGraw
05-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Craig,

Count me in! Just let me know what parts and manufacturer you'd like me to work on.

As a side note / question: Do you think there would be any interest in a Rocksim Parts Manager type application? I've been kicking around the idea to dust off some of my .NET development skills and put together an application we could use to ease the task of managing Rocksim parts.

I've come to the conclusion, that accurate parts, are critical to a design, just as a solid foundation is to a building.

... Bill

Sounds good to me. You're welcome to toss ideas around in the BARCLONE Software area for feedback.

As for manufacturers in the current update cycle, I'm sticking with SEMROC as the primary source of data. However I'd like to include BMS components as well. Bill does good balsa components and deserves to be represented in the database.

CPMcGraw
05-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Just a quick note, I haven't forgotten about this database update. Some other things had to get done first which are not rocketry-related... :)

Since Carl has already mentioned it in another thread, this update will include the new ST-2, ST-4, ST-27, and BT-19 components in the BTDATA.CSV file...

CPMcGraw
06-04-2009, 09:33 PM
OK, I guess it's time to get this show started...

I'm going to tackle the TRDATA file first, as there are some nagging issues I've been meaning to correct since the last post.

I will also start pulling in the component data for the BMS catalog in this update.

It should be noted that all of these CSV files are backward-compatable with at least RS8. No promise about earlier versions, however. Since the release of the RS9 demo, everyone needs to start migrating to the new version. Virtually all of the latest BARCLONE designs are incorporating the PODS feature, which is not backward-compatable with any previous version.

Eagle3
02-27-2011, 09:15 PM
I should have returned to this thread sooner. AFAIK, this represents the last complete list of the RockSim database files using SEMROC components. One or two of these files had some errors at one point, and I am not saying these contain the corrections. Since a new build (9.0.2 F72) has just been released, take this time to reload your database files from this post, and start using the components. If you spot an error, shout.

I've been able to import all of these except the NCDATA and PCDATA. They always report "no changes". The other data files import fine. Anyone else see this problem? I'm running RS9.0.9f87

CPMcGraw
02-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I've been able to import all of these except the NCDATA and PCDATA. They always report "no changes". The other data files import fine. Anyone else see this problem? I'm running RS9.0.9f87

Which "DataImport" folder are you placing these in? The one in the application directory, or the one found at "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ApogeeComponents\Rocksim_Version" ?

There was a change in the import procedure and target folders with the last update. I had to look it up.

Eagle3
02-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Weird.... it worked when I went the appdata route. If I use the user\RockSim 9\DataImport route they all work except those two.... meh, whatever. They're loaded now. Thanks!

CPMcGraw
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Attached is a new, up-to-date, body tube list for everything Carl shows on the website. Yes, there's a bunch of tubes added.

Remember: This is ONLY the tubes in the SEMROC catalog. If you're only going to use these tubes, delete (or rename) the existing BTDATA.CSV in your DATA folder. Otherwise, you'll need to edit out the SEMROC collection from your working BTDATA.CSV file (easiest with a spreadsheet), save it back in the DATA folder, then save this new file into the DATAIMPORT folder, before running RockSim again.

It's a lot of work to do this, but I prefer removing the old entries from the working file before adding new stuff. Eliminates a lot of duplications.

Also, if you chose to edit the working file in a spreadsheet, the file settings for CSV need to be explicitly set for "comma separated fields" (no other delimiters allowed!), and use NO quotes (double or single) for text fields. Make sure the columns for "OD", "ID", "Length", and "Mass" are formatted to at least 3 decimals.

Share and Enjoy!

snaquin
10-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the update Craig!

I need to update my RockSim with this new data. I just moved everything over to a new PC so it's time to restore all my design files to their new home

:)

CPMcGraw
10-20-2011, 11:32 PM
You're welcome, Steve!

We've been needing an update for some time, but getting around to it was the issue. I'm hoping to get started on NCDATA next.

K.M.Knox
10-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Is it possible to have the capsule style nose cones in Rocksim? I have yet to find a custom nose cone tab like the custom fins you can do, I am guessing that is not an option in it. Yet?

CPMcGraw
10-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Is it possible to have the capsule style nose cones in Rocksim? I have yet to find a custom nose cone tab like the custom fins you can do, I am guessing that is not an option in it. Yet?

It can be done, with patience, by using sections that can be modeled and attached together. It may also require a bit of "CGI" with the PODS feature, adjusting the location until the appearance is what you want.

Most "capsules" can be modeled using a basic conical transition, or (in the case of a Soyuz) an elliptical or ogive section. Example - A workable complete Soyuz is a composite of three sections, a PPB (ping-pong ball), an elliptical/ogive, and a cylinder. The rest is just goo-gahs and fidly bits.

You can create a library of your own capsules, in a manner similar to the way I created engine mounts and posted them (somewhere) here last year. You can either create them as PODS (easiest), or as SUBASSEMBLIES (more difficult). Using PODS, you just create one master file and keep each capsule as a POD. The advantage of the SUBASSEMBLY is you can save it separately as a complete file.

I know this is not an exhaustive description of how it's done, but it's basically what we do to get any compound shape. RockSim has some restrictive limitations right now, but with practice we've managed to work around most of them.

Tau Zero
11-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Which "DataImport" folder are you placing these in? The one in the application directory, or the one found at "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ApogeeComponents\Rocksim_Version" ?

There was a change in the import procedure and target folders with the last update. I had to look it up.Any idead what it's supposed to be for Windows 7, which now has a "Documents" Library? :eek: :mad: :o

Please advise. TIA.

Cheers,

CPMcGraw
11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Any idead what it's supposed to be for Windows 7, which now has a "Documents" Library? :eek: :mad: :o

Please advise. TIA.

Cheers,

Jay, I believe it should be still under the \Users\Username subfolder. It's been nearly a year since I looked at a Win7 screen, so I've forgotten a bunch of the structure. At what point do you see the \Documents subfolder? Before or after the \Users\Username?

Tau Zero
11-27-2011, 04:52 PM

There was a change in the import procedure and target folders with the last update. I had to look it up.Okay, I managed to find the directory in question and post my "personalized" files there, and they've been added to the database. :)

Now where the heck do I find the newly modified files so I can swap my personalized parts up to the top of the file? :confused: :eek:

Still fumbling,

CPMcGraw
11-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Okay, I managed to find the directory in question and post my "personalized" files there, and they've been added to the database. :)

Now where the heck do I find the newly modified files so I can swap my personalized parts up to the top of the file? :confused: :eek:

Still fumbling,

Same path, but look in DATA instead of DATAIMPORT. All of the "master files" are kept there, both components and ENG files.

You'll need to use a spreadsheet to do any sorting work on the CSV files...

PaulK
10-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Hi Craig, just wanted to say thanks for this great resource. I just started using RockSim, and wanted to simulate my Centuri T-Bird clone, built with Semroc parts. These files contained all the parts I needed, even unusual ones like the HTC-7B. While I have a lot to learn about RockSim, these parts gave me a great jump-start, and my sim is now working. Thanks!

-Paul

rosko_racer
10-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Hi everyone!

Seems that this thread has not been updated since 2015!!!

I have Rocsim 9 v 9.6.2f210 Build 10 and have been looking around for a file with the HoJo NC... can't seem to find it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

r_r

Tau Zero
10-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Hi everyone!

Seems that this thread has not been updated since 2015!!!

I have Rocsim 9 v 9.6.2f210 Build 10 and have been looking around for a file with the HoJo NC... can't seem to find it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

r_rRaul,

Silly question: Which version of the HoJo? (Since we have *so many* to choose from!) :)

I think I ended up with a balsa cone from one of the small early Estes versions, come to think of it. It needed a cardstock transition to complete the shape of the base.

You could approximate a HoJo nose cone like I did with my Semroc Tau Zero BC-760 nose cone, which was basically an ogive nose cone (without a base) mated with a transition minus the "forward" section that usually slides into the larger body tube.

Granted, both pieces were balsa, so you might have to add a mass object to approximate the correct weight, but there you go!

Hope this helps.

rosko_racer
10-24-2017, 06:40 PM
Raul,

Silly question: Which version of the HoJo? (Since we have *so many* to choose from!) :)

I think I ended up with a balsa cone from one of the small early Estes versions, come to think of it. It needed a cardstock transition to complete the shape of the base.

You could approximate a HoJo nose cone like I did with my Semroc Tau Zero BC-760 nose cone, which was basically an ogive nose cone (without a base) mated with a transition minus the "forward" section that usually slides into the larger body tube.

Granted, both pieces were balsa, so you might have to add a mass object to approximate the correct weight, but there you go!

Hope this helps.

TZ:

True, a few versions of that NC exists... got me on that one. I have been building a series of EAC Firecats on different scales based and so far I have a BT-20 (1:.56), a BT-50 (1:1), and a BT-55 (sim and built) but did not find a SIM with a similar NC. I could not figure out how to the NC on the sims. I came to this thread to see if the NCDATA file had it but I do have the latest file from Apogee. Your idea sounds about right and will give it a shot. Thanks.

- R_R