PDA

View Full Version : After the fire... comes the flood

Tau Zero
06-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Lance "Tweener" Ladd had the bedroom fire last month, and I had a flood in my basement yesterday. :eek:

I came home for lunch (which I usually don't have time to do) about 1:30 p.m. We'd had an automatic sprinkler system installed in both the front and back yards. Yesterday the "groovy" concrete guys came by to lay some curvy shapes in the back yard, and hooked up their water hose to the faucet protruding from the house in back... the one that leaks inside the basement, which we'd told them *not* to use! :mad:

I found about 4 inches of water at the bottom of the steps, which the Servicemaster folks took care of. The fans ran all night, and then two strapping young Servicemaster guys came by this morning and cut the carpet up into little yard-(meter?-)square pieces to dry. I took the day off from work to drag dripping cardboard boxes up the concrete steps.

The GOOD news? 99% of my rocketry stuff didn't get wet :) :D (because I keep it up high), except for the bottom inch of a box with some old photos and a few Moldin' Oldies nose cones (along with the Centuri originals).

Only about 2% percent of my irreplaceable stuff (in general) was damaged, and thankfully all of my books were well out of the floodwaters. So aside from the sand underfoot that the water washed out of the carpet ("Dude! I've got my own private beach!"), things are pretty much looking up.

(No, I didn't attempt any underwater launches. I simply wasn't in the mood.) ;)

Less soggy than I was,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2005, 06:10 PM
So, are the concrete guys liable for damage?
What kind of photos were damaged?

Tweener
06-22-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm glad you didn't lose much. :D In my situation, the stuff closest to the floor was what was least damaged. I had a Snitch that was on the floor and didn't disfigure a bit, but the firemen broke all the antenna / spring mounting tabs off while gathering up what was smoldering and throwing it out the window.

Tau Zero
06-22-2005, 07:23 PM
So, are the concrete guys liable for damage?They're subcontractors, but the guy who's the landscaping contractor actually has a conscience (plus I've known his wife for over 20 years). I've lost count of the times he's said he's sorry, and this morning he told me he wanted to make things right.

What kind of photos were damaged?Only the ones with rockets. :rolleyes: Actually, just slightly soggy, not really damaged. Some of those go back to the 70's, others are in the last 3 or 4 years.

Cheers,

--Jay

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Only the ones with rockets. :rolleyes: Actually, just slightly soggy, not really damaged. Some of those go back to the 70's, others are in the last 3 or 4 years.

Cheers,

--Jay

Got a scanner? If not, send them to me and I'll scan them. Maybe we can "talk" someone into Photoshopping them back into shape. :eek:

Tau Zero
06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Got a scanner? If not, send them to me and I'll scan them. Maybe we can "talk" someone into Photoshopping them back into shape. :eek:How about this first one, which had the glossy inside of the envelope stick itself to the photo?

Number two (which my mom told me looked like a lizard) could provide a cleanup challenge.

I thought I'd toss in numbers 3 and 4 just for fun. (IIRC, my mom had new prints made of the original B&W shots.)

The caption for number 4? "*Dude.*"

The last one's a bit more recent. :D ;) My daughter Emma is 7 and Colette is 8 1/2.

Cheers,

--Jay

CPMcGraw
06-22-2005, 10:00 PM
How about this first one, which had the glossy inside of the envelope stick itself to the photo?

Other than being an engine mount with the shock chord attached to it...

...But then, you said these were from the 70's, right? That was before Quest introduced the Kevlar thread style...

...For that matter, that was before Quest...

Wonder if some FotoFlo on a Q-tip might remove that paper without removing the image?

CPMcGraw
06-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Dunno. If I can track it down, I may have to use it on my 1970's Centuri Javelin photo.

Any good camera shop, or photo shop that caters to DIY photography, should have it in stock. Kodak product, IIRC...

If the shop is good, the owner might also have a couple of suggestions...

...And for shame, Jay, hanging around in bars at such an early age... :eek:

Wonder why SciFi Channel hasen't grabbed hold of that one yet? I thought it was a fairly good series...

So did I... back in the 70's.

But then I saw part of an episode as an adult. (Where's that barfing emoticon I asked about a couple of months ago?)

Season One was more rough and gritty compared to Season Two. When they brought in the female metamorph with the comic-Vulcan eyebrows, that really started the downhill trend. :(

Craig...

A Fish Named Wallyum
06-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Cute pics, Jay.
How's this one? My brother Dave and I circa 1971. Would you toss kids that looked like this some spare change? (And we were considered well off. :eek:)

Carl@Semroc
06-23-2005, 09:42 PM
The caption for number 4? "*Dude.*"

Cheers,

--Jay
I could not do much for the other ones, but I was able to reconstruct the rocket that was somehow removed from number 4.

Tau Zero
06-25-2005, 09:31 AM
...And for shame, Jay, hanging around in bars at such an early age... :eek: For the record, Craig, that's behind bars. ;) :D :eek:

Cheers,

--Jay

Tau Zero
06-25-2005, 09:38 AM
I could not do much for the other ones, but I was able to reconstruct the rocket that was somehow removed from number 4.LOL! So what size is that particular Semroc Hydra VII? Peanut scale? :D :p

And this was from 1963. So, does this mean there was some kind of Time Travel Paradox happening here... or is that rocket just a prototype? (Gee... I was a beta-tester for Carl *before* I started building and flying Centuri rockets? I have no recollection of that... but it explains my modern-day obsession with Semroc!) :D :cool:

That's a fun picture, Carl! Thanks so much!

Cheers,

--Jay