PDA

View Full Version : Some advice....

gilatrout
03-15-2007, 01:17 PM
My wife wants me to donate my time at a benefit auction to help a kid build an launch a rocket. My problem is how to go about this in a meaningful way. The kid can be anywhere from K-6th grade.

My question to you all is what in your opinion is the best kit. Obviously Level 1's are the way to go, but I'd like to avoid the prebuilt launch systems and let the kids get creative and dirty. Conversely the build should not take more than 1 day. Build and launch would probrably be on separate days, though this is not 100% certain.

How far should I go to enable what will become an addiction to rockets? Should I give them a launcher and pad? Or let them use mine or the local club's for the day and let them work out the rest?

What would you want to see if someone were to offer up a day of model rocketry?

Thanks for your time.

ghrocketman
03-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Although the kit is boring, for your purpose you cannot beat the Alpha III starter set from Estes.
One can finish the kit (no painting), build the Porta-Pad and Electron Beam controller in a few hours, then launch the same day.
If you have a Michael's store in your area, you could use a 40% off coupon & get the Kit for under $20.00.
I would bring a few completed rockets from your fleet to launch as well at the end of the day.

CPMcGraw
03-15-2007, 01:48 PM
My wife wants me to donate my time at a benefit auction to help a kid build an launch a rocket. My problem is how to go about this in a meaningful way. The kid can be anywhere from K-6th grade.

My question to you all is what in your opinion is the best kit. Obviously Level 1's are the way to go, but I'd like to avoid the prebuilt launch systems and let the kids get creative and dirty. Conversely the build should not take more than 1 day. Build and launch would probrably be on separate days, though this is not 100% certain.

Some suggestions on the rocket:

Estes Alpha -- Build a clone of the original design with the balsa nose cone.

SEMROC Astro-1 or Astro Jr -- You probably know of the quality of these kits already. Balsa nose cones and laser-cut fins make these even easier to work up than the Alpha.

BARCLONE Eaglet -- Smaller model than the others, but still large enough to see visually in flight. Takes a 13mm motor, making it easier to keep the flight inside a small field (like schoolyards). Balsa nose cone and fins.

How far should I go to enable what will become an addiction to rockets? Should I give them a launcher and pad? Or let them use mine or the local club's for the day and let them work out the rest?

Depending on how many students are involved, you might just want to pick up a couple of #1406 starter sets for the pads and controllers, then let the students concentrate on building and flying. Watch for Hobby Lobby 40% off coupons, and pick a couple of these up during that week to save a little money.

What would you want to see if someone were to offer up a day of model rocketry?

Thanks for your time.

DON'T try to do it alone. Find an experienced helper or two to manage the event with you. If you're doing this as a demo for the students, try to get together with the science and math teachers to make it both enjoyable as entertainment and to help focus the students on real-world applications of what they're learning in class.

Perhaps enlist the help of (older) students recommended by their teachers as your "field crew", doing simple tasks like spotting and recovery.

If this is a "project day" or "class project workshop", then let the students concentrate on the models and not on the equipment. They're going to be excited enough as it is waiting for their bird to fly to have to deal with setting up the pad and controller. Also, you mentioned getting their hands dirty, so they need the building experience that a traditional kit offers. They won't get that with any current starter set. Most won't have anything to begin with, anyway; unless the parents are already into rocketry, they aren't likely to invest in a set just for one event. Let them spend their money on a better kit, and you provide the launch equipment.

Daniel Runyon
03-15-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm surprised more people don't recommend Berthas for first rockets! What a simple yet AWESOME rocket! I would think the size (assuming you went with a Big Bertha instead of Baby Bertha, either of which would ROCK) would be impressive to the youngsters too!

If you DO decide to buy a pad / controller you can get the starter kits at Wal Mart for less than $20... get one of those AND a builder rocket so the kid can have it all with the launch equipment, a rocket to build with you and a Ready To Fly to boot!

I would teach them to really take their time and become one with their rocket while glue dries and during fin sanding.

CPMcGraw
03-15-2007, 06:42 PM
I'm surprised more people don't recommend Berthas for first rockets! What a simple yet AWESOME rocket! I would think the size (assuming you went with a Big Bertha instead of Baby Bertha, either of which would ROCK) would be impressive to the youngsters too!

If you DO decide to buy a pad / controller you can get the starter kits at Wal Mart for less than $20... get one of those AND a builder rocket so the kid can have it all with the launch equipment, a rocket to build with you and a Ready To Fly to boot!

I would teach them to really take their time and become one with their rocket while glue dries and during fin sanding.

Big Bertha is a great first rocket, no question. It's just a force of habit to call out the Alpha, as that was what it was intended to be -- a first rocket. Remember that Estes used to post a plan sheet in the center sections of their early catalogs for this one after it was released.

The general idea was for the kids to "get their hands dirty", and from that I took him to mean "balsa and paper", not "plastic and paper". The current Alpha and Big Bertha kits use plastic nose cones. Gilatrout sounded like he wants something more "craftsman" in nature, which really leans toward the Semroc Astro-1, Astro Jr, or my Eaglet design. I think he wants to teach these hopeful beginners the traditional art of model rocket building, and not simply "shake the box" and "peel-n-stick".

Daniel Runyon
03-15-2007, 06:50 PM
I took him to mean "balsa and paper", not "plastic and paper". Gilatrout sounded like he wants something more "craftsman" in nature. I think he wants to teach these hopeful beginners the traditional art of model rocket building, and not simply "shake the box" and "peel-n-stick".

Ah yes... then perhaps a SEMROC Vega would be in order... call me obsessed, but anything Bertha or even Bertha derived is cool by me! Well, except for the Quest knock off... it's missing a fin!

Really, I would think that ANY of the SEMROCs that could be built within the timeframe necessary would be AWESOME! I'm really looking forward to trying some of their kits after hearing so magnitudinously many praises of their stuff... it's really comforting to look through their site and see Precision Turned Balsa and Laser Cut Balsa... plastic is fine for cones, but balsa really makes you feel "the hobby" in your soul!

dtomko
03-15-2007, 07:29 PM
I can highly recommend the Fliskits Triskelion for this. I did a workshop for 3rd through 5th graders last year and it worked great. We had an hour each day spread over a few weeks; the Triskelion can easily be built in a day, though. It has a great fin alignment system with finlets holding the main fins sraight for alignment. It's also cool looking and a decent size, bigger than an Alpha, and all balsa. The kids I did it with loved it.

Drew

jflis
03-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Thank you Drew :)

I too will highly recommend the Triskelion as a great first rocket. It's biggest features are the laser cut fins, neat fin jig to aid in assembly, all balsa/paper construction (quality) and probably one of the coolest looks for a Skill Level 1 kit out there. YOu can find details on the Triskelion by clicking this link. (http://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/triskelion.htm)

Another highly recommended kit (our best selling edu kit) is the Thing-a-ma-Jig. As with the Triskelion, all balsa/paper construction with laser cut fins and a very unusual look all her own. The BIG feature? FlisKits Jig-Tech technology. The laser cut fins are designed with tabs and slots such that they go together like a jig-saw puzzle (incredibly easy) and the WILL NOT fall off while the glue dries (white glue). Further, the assembly makes it virtually impossible to put the fins on crooked, so all the kids get a great flying rocket every time. You can get details on the Thing-a-ma-Jig by clicking this link. (http://fliskits.com/products/rocketkits/kit_detail/thingamajig.htm)

We offer a 20% discount on all education orders (except for turned balsa parts) and can also offer you educational bulk pack pricing if you purchase 10 or more of any kit. More details about our Edu Bulk Pack program and other educational goodies can be found on our Educational Web Site. (http://fliskits.com/services/education/index.htm)

I hope this helps!
jim

bikegod
03-16-2007, 09:30 PM
I was going to recommend Jim's Thing a ma Jig as well (especially for the younger kids). Though older kids (7th and 8th grade) might want/need a little bit more challenge (like marking fin location and gluing them straight).

From my experience with HannahMonster (now all of 8 going on 18) gluing fins straight has been our biggest challenge. The ThingamaJig would have been perfect (and still might be) for her.

Her first rockets were E2X rockets from Estes. Very fast builds, and almost straight to the launch. You could just about build most of them at the field and send them up. Honestly though, boring build, though the WOW of flight was right there. Because she was only 7 she hadn't the attention span to spend a full hour focused on the task (unlike the rest of us who may lose a whole evening just getting prepped for an exciting build).

She definately liked the Swift 220 (size and cute factor) and Carl's Javelin kit (which came free with my toys) was a big hit as well. I think the smaller sized rockets appealed to her more (cuddly?) though she loves the launches of our larger rockets.

I guess from my point of view, keeping their attention long enough to get to the launch would be the biggest challenge. After that, cool factor will carry it.

Oh, I also vote on anything with a parachute. If they can race to catch it, they'll probably race back to relaunch. Then you know they are hooked.

On the launch system, there are RTF kits at Wally-World running for $14 here in VA. Depending on how much you want to donate, you could include it, or just point it out to the parents if their kid really takes a liking to it.

Launch Pad = $20
Rocket Kit = $15
Engines = $7
Donated Lesson in rocketry leading to a successful launch and the inevitable "KEWWWL!" = Priceless