PDA

View Full Version : Old Toys

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
There was a thread on OldRockets about some old space related toys. I read the article that listed websites that sell old toys. I'm checking them out and am coming across stuff I used to have. Any of you ever have any of these items growing up?

http://www.timewarptoys.com/tipnrok.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/sbblack.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/wheelo1.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/sirenring.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/jartsold1.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/creeplep.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/aero1.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/kkar1.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/vertibird.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/kmotor1.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/handsdown.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/bash1.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/trouble.jpg

http://www.timewarptoys.com/vrroom.jpg

Boy, seeing those old toys sure brings back good memories!

CPMcGraw
01-29-2007, 03:24 PM
There was a thread on OldRockets about some old space related toys. I read the article that listed websites that sell old toys. I'm checking them out and am coming across stuff I used to have. Any of you ever have any of these items growing up?

I had a couple of Wheel-Os back in the 60s. The ones I received came in a box, not in a bag.

Modern reference -- Has anyone watched the movie "Robots"?

I also had the "Verti-Bird". A Mattel toy, it came with an astronaut figure that was just way too heavy for the 'copter to lift on anything but a fresh set of batteries (and not always then, either); and a hollow plastic Mercury capsule.

The Kenner motorized movie projector had a sibling, IIRC, that was hand-cranked. I had one or the other, but I don't recall now which I had. It may have been this one...

One toy I had contained a folded paper sheet with outlines for roads and locations for a spring-loaded launch pad, and a command center. The command center had a small phonograph with 3" records that played a sequence of "countdowns" -- one with a successful launch of the rocket, one with an abort. The rocket was an Atlas, and I remember it always hit the ceiling and left a mark. The command center had a set of "headphones" with a rubber tube connecting them; this is how you heard the phonograph. To change the program, you simply lifted the top of the center and lowered it again. The programs were on separate tracks; the needle would set itself on the tracks at random, so you never knew which one would come up.

ghrocketman
01-29-2007, 03:36 PM
I had Trouble, Hands-Down, and the old "jarts".
I think I may still have the Jarts with the box.
Amazing that we managed to survive back in those days of Jarts, Good ol' Leaded Gasoline, no child safety seats (or laws that butt into parent's business), and no seat belts/air bags/anti-lock brakes....life was MUCH simpler then.
I love new technology and what it has given the average consumer, but we could do with far less gov't intrusion into business and individual freedom.

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 03:57 PM
The Kenner motorized movie projector had a sibling, IIRC, that was hand-cranked. I had one or the other, but I don't recall now which I had. It may have been this one...
Yes, they also had a hand-crank version of this projector.

I remember I used to sit in my closet and close the door to watch the movies during the day.

tbzep
01-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I had the Verti-bird. We either had better batteries or thicker air, cause mine flew quite well with the astronaut and capsule too (not at the same time, though).

I also had a bi-plane called the DarePlane or something like that. I got both of them the same year for Christmas, one of the best Christmases I ever had.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes, they also had a hand-crank version of this projector.

I remember I used to sit in my closet and close the door to watch the movies during the day.

Aw, man. I'm not going to touch this one. :rolleyes: :D

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Aw, man. I'm not going to touch this one. :rolleyes: :D
Hahahaha. I guess I should've worded that differently!

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 05:05 PM
I had the Verti-bird. We either had better batteries or thicker air, cause mine flew quite well with the astronaut and capsule too (not at the same time, though).

I also had a bi-plane called the DarePlane or something like that. I got both of them the same year for Christmas, one of the best Christmases I ever had.
Here's the Dareplane:

http://www.yoy.org/dareplane/

It would appear from this page that someone cloned the Vertibird. It was for sale at Target, at least back in 2000.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 05:08 PM
I was a Major Matt Mason, Johnny West, GI Joe brat, but I had Verti-Bird and several Wheel-O's. Another biggy was SSP cars. My buddy's mom worked for Kenner and we must have destroyed 30 or 40 of those over the years. We'd cannibalize them for parts and jump them over curbs. Our best trick was accidentally melting a Laker Special with a smoke bomb, (who knew those were hot?) and we rolled another one into the path of a bus. :cool:

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I was a Major Matt Mason, Johnny West, GI Joe brat, but I had Verti-Bird and several Wheel-O's. Another biggy was SSP cars. My buddy's mom worked for Kenner and we must have destroyed 30 or 40 of those over the years. We'd cannibalize them for parts and jump them over curbs. Our best trick was accidentally melting a Laker Special with a smoke bomb, (who knew those were hot?) and we rolled another one into the path of a bus. :cool:
SSP's! Yes, I had one of those. I used to like running it in our gym at school during recess. Was the Laker Special the orange one that looked like something you'd see on the Bonneville Salt Flats? If so, that's what I had.

The gyro effect from that heavy wheel spinning was neat too.

tbzep
01-29-2007, 06:52 PM
SSP....is that where you pull a T-handle to spin up a central drive wheel? I had a red rail dragster like that.

I also had the Evel Kinevel stunt cycle that used hand crank to spin up the drive wheel.

I also had the old Sizzlers slotless track cars...pretty cool until the little batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

Throw in a few Hot Wheels, the full size GI Goe, a Mat Masterson, and a little imagination and I had a pretty good life as a kid. ;)

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 06:53 PM
SSP....is that where you pull a T-handle to spin up a central drive wheel? I had a red rail dragster like that. I also had the Evel Kinevel stunt cycle that used hand crank to spin up the drive wheel.
Yup, that's the one.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 06:54 PM
SSP's! Yes, I had one of those. I used to like running it in our gym at school during recess. Was the Laker Special the orange one that looked like something you'd see on the Bonneville Salt Flats? If so, that's what I had.

The gyro effect from that heavy wheel spinning was neat too.

I always thought it looked like a submarine and it was the one you wanted if you were racing someone else. The only one I ever had was purple, but the others always came in different colors, so I'm sure there was an orange one. Remember the Smash-Up Derby set? The doors, tires and bumpers fell off when they hit each other. :cool:

DeanHFox
01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
One toy I had contained a folded paper sheet with outlines for roads and locations for a spring-loaded launch pad, and a command center. The command center had a small phonograph with 3" records that played a sequence of "countdowns" -- one with a successful launch of the rocket, one with an abort. The rocket was an Atlas, and I remember it always hit the ceiling and left a mark. The command center had a set of "headphones" with a rubber tube connecting them; this is how you heard the phonograph. To change the program, you simply lifted the top of the center and lowered it again. The programs were on separate tracks; the needle would set itself on the tracks at random, so you never knew which one would come up.Craig, that sounds like my "Voice Controlled Kennedy Airport" by Remco. It had a record player inside the control tower that played ATC chatter into a headset via a flexible rubber tube. It had a playmat with runways on it and came with some plastic airliners you could push around based on the commands from the tower. :) I know Remco also made an astronaut Kennedy-space-center-styled base with similar characteristics. Perhaps that's the toy you recall?

tbzep
01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Yup, that's the one.

Cool....I just edited the post you quoted with a few other things I had. I was too slow to get it out before you replied.

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Remember the Smash-Up Derby set? The doors, tires and bumpers fell off when they hit each other. :cool:
Sure do. My friend had one that we'd play with in the gym.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 06:56 PM
SSP....is that where you pull a T-handle to spin up a central drive wheel? I had a red rail dragster like that. I also had the Evel Kinevel stunt cycle that used hand crank to spin up the drive wheel.

I also had the Canyon Sky Cycle and my brother had the funny car that exploded. I'm surprised that they never reissued the cycle set.

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 07:00 PM
I also had the Evel Kinevel stunt cycle that used hand crank to spin up the drive wheel.

I also had the old Sizzlers slotless track cars...pretty cool until the little batteries wouldn't hold a charge anymore.
A friend had these two. Ya, the Sizzlers used a pack of D batteries to charge the cars, right?

Throw in a few Hot Wheels, the full size GI Goe, a Mat Masterson, and a little imagination and I had a pretty good life as a kid. ;)
I had a ton of Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning cars. I remember selling the big case of cars and all my track in a rummage sale at my parents house around '80 or so. It was just after high school. I know it all went for a song. Of course I kick myself seeing what the stuff fetches on eBay.

I never got into the guy dolls myself.

I did put Estes/Centuri rocket motors on lots of non-rocket items and "launched" them though!

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
SSP....is that where you pull a T-handle to spin up a central drive wheel? I had a red rail dragster like that.

Sizzlers are back. I was looking at them before Christmas.

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Sizzlers are back. I was looking at them before Christmas.
Really? Where'd you see them? Toys R Us?

tbzep
A friend had these two. Ya, the Sizzlers used a pack of D batteries to charge the cars, right?

Yep. They were in a charger made to look like a gas pump.

I had a GI Joe with a parachute and one of the training towers. I outgrew them well before getting into rocketry in the mid 70's.

A Fish Named Wallyum

HEY! THEY WERE ACTION FIGURES! :D

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 07:05 PM
HEY! THEY WERE ACTION FIGURES! :D
Hey everyone, look. Billy's playing with his dolls again! :D :D :D

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Really? Where'd you see them? Toys R Us?

No, it would have either been Johnny's, where I buy my rocket supplies, or possibly Target. I was pretty sick through most of Christmas season, and I didn't get out much. :o

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 07:06 PM

I know where you live.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 07:12 PM

We'd have these huge backyard battles with GI Joe's and rubber baseballs. They'd go on for a couple of days and then we'd get distracted by something else. Water balloons, rubber band guns, SSPs. There was one guy who lived on the other side of the neighborhood who I had nothing to do with except for a couple of weeks a year when we got together to play with GI Joe's. One time I was on my way to a gas station with a bunch of the local troublemakers to buy cigarettes and ran into him. I told him the others to keep my $.33 and went to play GI Joe's with Ron. The others got busted by the cops. :rolleyes:
He'd have been a good one for rockets, but by the time I got into them he and I wanted nothing to do with each other anymore.

snaquin
01-29-2007, 07:23 PM
I had the original issue G.I. Joe Jeep that took the two D cells under the hood. Got it for Christmas in 1966.

We had a long hallway at my moms house and my brother and I would set up a bag of army men at the end of the hall and mow em down with the included artillery rounds. It had a pretty strong spring and I guess by todays standards it would be immediately taken off the market because you could possibly put your eye out with it, although I never did. Even at 5 years old I knew better than to look down the barrel when firing it :rolleyes:

My G.I. Joe would wreak havoc around the house with that set up. Two full sized G.I. Joe's could drive around all day in that bad boy.

I knocked some stuff down with those shells until mom forbid me to fire it off in the house.

:D

CPMcGraw
01-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Craig, that sounds like my "Voice Controlled Kennedy Airport" by Remco. It had a record player inside the control tower that played ATC chatter into a headset via a flexible rubber tube. It had a playmat with runways on it and came with some plastic airliners you could push around based on the commands from the tower. :) I know Remco also made an astronaut Kennedy-space-center-styled base with similar characteristics. Perhaps that's the toy you recall?

Thank you for the reminder, yes! They were nearly identical (I had forgotten the airport set), but the one I had was the space center set. Same concept, same mechanics in the "control tower". I wanted both, but had to decide on just one. The space-race had a bigger hold on me, I guess.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 07:25 PM
I had the original issue G.I. Joe Jeep that took the two D cells under the hood. Got it for Christmas in 1966.

We had a long hallway at my moms house and my brother and I would set up a bag of army men at the end of the hall and mow em down with the included artillery rounds. It had a pretty strong spring and I guess by todays standards it would be immediately taken off the market because you could possibly put your eye out with it, although I never did :rolleyes:

My G.I. Joe would wreak havoc around the house with that set up. Two full sized G.I. Joe's could drive around all day in that bad boy.

I knocked some stuff down with those shells until mom forbid me to fire it off in the house.

I broke my jeep in half trying to jump a curb. :o :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the reminder, yes! They were nearly identical (I had forgotten the airport set), but the one I had was the space center set. Same concept, same mechanics in the "control tower". I wanted both, but had to decide on just one. The space-race had a bigger hold on me, I guess.

Was this anything like the Marx sets that came in a steel case? I had the Cape Canaveral and Fort Apache.

CPMcGraw
01-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Yep. They were in a charger made to look like a gas pump...

They also had an AC-powered charger that looked like a gas station and it had a mechanical timer; I had a "super-sized" dual-track set, but one of the big curves had this horrible bump where the pieces came together. If you ran the cars the wrong way they'd hit that bump and cartwheel out of their lane into the air.

Noticed in Target the other day some other Hot Wheels items making a come-back. I spotted the "powerhouse" car-slinger for the non-powered cars, along with some of the old strip-track packages. Even the old artwork boxes are back. I used to take a strip of track and loop it into and out of the powerhouse, and it would sling the car through a full 360 over-and-over.

DeanHFox
01-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Was this anything like the Marx sets that came in a steel case? I had the Cape Canaveral and Fort Apache.Similar, Bill, but different. For my 7th Christmas ('68), I got the Remco Voice Controlled Kennedy Airport AND the Marx Cape Canaveral playset. Best Christmas I ever had! :)

Here's the Remco: http://www.prestonmarketing.com/toys/kennedy/kennedy.html

Here's the Marx: http://www.pixymusic.com/History_Playsets/history_playsets.html (scroll down a bit).

Man, what fun I had with those toys! :D

CPMcGraw
01-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Was this anything like the Marx sets that came in a steel case? I had the Cape Canaveral and Fort Apache.

I don't recall a case of any kind, just a cardboard box...

Did have a Marx train set, though. Couldn't afford the Lionel stuff...

DeanHFox
01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
And, I just happened to locate a pic of the Remco Voice Control Astronaut Base: http://www.timewarptoys.com/vcontrol.jpg

CPMcGraw
01-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Here's the Remco: http://www.prestonmarketing.com/toys/kennedy/kennedy.html

The space center had a longer playmat (I think... It seemed more elongated than the airport version, anyway...) and it had a carrier truck-trailer for the Atlas.

And, I just happened to locate a pic of the Remco Voice Control Astronaut Base: http://www.timewarptoys.com/vcontrol.jpg

By the time I got mine, there was not as much color in the moldings; it was by that time monochromatic white with few to no markings or colorings. The rocket shown on the box was a Redstone/Explorer-1 style, and I remember being mildly disappointed the one I got was a bit different with the Atlas. It was the same toy, but the rocket and the launch base were slightly different. The base mat was also a little different.

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Some survivors, some stuff I paid big bucks for. Not all kid stuff, but it gets displayed together, so...... :rolleyes:

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Did have a Marx train set, though. Couldn't afford the Lionel stuff...
I still have my Marx train set! I used the transformer all the time for my "experiments." :D

Ltvscout
01-29-2007, 08:26 PM
Some survivors, some stuff I paid big bucks for. Not all kid stuff, but it gets displayed together, so...... :rolleyes:
I used to collect beer cans. Somewhere I still have a full six pack of Billy beer. ;)

I see the empty Tanqueray bottle. Time for a refill!

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 09:09 PM
I used to collect beer cans. Somewhere I still have a full six pack of Billy beer. ;)

Crack it open. it can't be any worse. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I see the empty Tanqueray bottle. Time for a refill!

It's not empty. It's full of dimes.
I stay away from that kind of stuff these days. It works too fast for me to be able to adjust and I wind up threatening to stuff someone into a urinal. :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 09:10 PM
I used to collect beer cans.

Those are on the next shelf over. ;)

Tau Zero
01-29-2007, 10:50 PM
I see the empty Tanqueray bottle.Picture *these* two guys sitting next to each other: GI Joe and "Tony Sinclair" from the Tanqueray TV commercials! :rolleyes: :eek:

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-29-2007, 11:06 PM
Picture *these* two guys sitting next to each other: GI Joe and "Tony Sinclair" from the Tanqueray TV commercials! :rolleyes: :eek:
Cheers,

I have a friend who shotgunned shrimp at my wedding rehearsal dinner like the guy on the Tanqueray commercial. My mom estimated that he threw down about $30 worth all by himself. Lucky for him he's one of her favorites. (He was at the house one day when she was cleaning out her fridge. The score wound up being Rick: 12, Garbage Disposal: 0.)
Now that I think of it, he's the one I split that bottle with. That was a fun bachelor party until the next morning. :eek: :(

Ltvscout
01-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Now that I think of it, he's the one I split that bottle with. That was a fun bachelor party until the next morning. :eek: :(
Rookie!

conleyt
01-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Anybody else remember Johnny West? We had most of that stuff. We used to combine our Johnny West ranch with the Barbie Dream House the girls next door owned. Strange combination when I think about it now, but it was fun then. :D

Tom C.

tbzep
01-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Anybody else remember Johnny West? We had most of that stuff. We used to combine our Johnny West ranch with the Barbie Dream House the girls next door owned. Strange combination when I think about it now, but it was fun then. :D

Tom C.

Did that combination make you an action figure grandfather? :D

Rocketflyer
01-30-2007, 11:08 AM

We had a long hallway at my moms house and my brother and I would set up a bag of army men at the end of the hall and mow em down with the included artillery rounds. It had a pretty strong spring and I guess by todays standards it would be immediately taken off the market because you could possibly put your eye out with it, although I never did. Even at 5 years old I knew better than to look down the barrel when firing it :rolleyes:

That's a replica of a recoiless gun, 105mm. Good weapon, nasty on the recieving end.

conleyt
01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Did that combination make you an action figure grandfather? :D

Nothing quite that extreme...but I will admit the main reason for doing this was to be near Vanessa, the girl next door! :D

Tom C.

Green Dragon
01-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I also had the Canyon Sky Cycle and my brother had the funny car that exploded. I'm surprised that they never reissued the cycle set.

The Evel cycle set was,indeed, reissued a couple years back by , iirc, Playing Mantis toys. who also reissued the Sizzlers car set.
Both were short-lived, and liekly faced some litigation or ?? .

Both have also become quite the collector items already, I have a friend who is an avid Playing Mantis collector / dealer / fan and I hear about all the items they'd redone ( also including the Captain Action figures, and some of the old Aurora model kits )

~ AL

..waxing nostalgic after seeing this thread, lots of memories here, items I had as a child, or had as an adult, lol.. bought and sold a few of these in my 'flea market' days, too .... sigh .. if we only knew :-)

barone
01-30-2007, 04:21 PM
I still have my Marx train set! I used the transformer all the time for my "experiments." :D
Experiments......like connecting the leads to the big toes and turning up the current? :o

Ltvscout
01-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Experiments......like connecting the leads to the big toes and turning up the current? :o
Heh, no, nothing like that. I was always putting together various electrical and electronic contraptions and would use the transformer as a power source.

DaveR
01-30-2007, 10:30 PM
I had a vertibird, lots of fun but ate battieries for lunch, ended up breaking one of the rotor tips off, never the same after that.
Had Gi joe with "KUNG FU" grip and his training tower with the large snake.
Evel's stunt cycle, dragster and camper.

Any of you guys ever have ricochet racers? You would load these race cars into a shell-like casing and then insert them into a gun and fire them out. Pretty cool! How about TCR (Total Control Racing) a slotless race track where you used a switch on the controller to change lanes and avoid the other driver and the"jam" car?

I used to take a strip of track and loop it into and out of the powerhouse, and it would sling the car through a full 360 over-and-over.

My 6 year old son is seriously into Hot Wheels Acceleracers (Very cool). They really covered the bases on this one. They have a track called the Accelerdrome that has 2 powerhouses that will send 2 cars into the endless loop until you time the "escape" which launches one of the cars out of the loop and through the wheel of power. He loves it. Check out the link:

http://www.hotwheels.com/acceleracers_popup.aspx

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-30-2007, 10:44 PM
I had a vertibird, lots of fun but ate battieries for lunch, ended up breaking one of the rotor tips off, never the same after that.
Had Gi joe with "KUNG FU" grip and his training tower with the large snake.
Evel's stunt cycle, dragster and camper.

Any of you guys ever have ricochet racers? You would load these race cars into a shell-like casing and then insert them into a gun and fire them out. Pretty cool! How about TCR (Total Control Racing) a slotless race track where you used a switch on the controller to change lanes and avoid the other driver and the"jam" car?

I had the Joe training tower. That snake was great for scaring the neighborhood girls.
The TCR set came along a little late for me. I thought it looked cool, but I was a little past the age when I might actually ask for something like it. "I am WAY too cool and mature for THAT! (I wonder if any of the neighbors might have one that I can try?") :D

My 6 year old son is seriously into Hot Wheels Acceleracers (Very cool). They really covered the bases on this one. They have a track called the Accelerdrome that has 2 powerhouses that will send 2 cars into the endless loop until you time the "escape" which launches one of the cars out of the loop and through the wheel of power. He loves it. Check out the link:

http://www.hotwheels.com/acceleracers_popup.aspx

My kids are 16 and 13, but I have a 3 year old nephew and an 18 month old niece. Luckily we saved a lot of the really cool toys that the kids had, because they now looks at a trip to our house as a big deal. It's nice when you babysit and you don't have to worry about them crying for mommy. They're too engrossed in the toys to even know she left.

Ltvscout
01-31-2007, 07:57 AM
I remember both of those, but didn't have either.

dtomko
01-31-2007, 10:13 AM
I still have a few Hot Wheels that my son plays with now. I saw the Sizzlers in Target the other week and fell over, same packaging and everything. I confess I bought a reissue GI Joe Mercury capsule a few years back and was kind of relieved that my son didn't completely take to it :rolleyes: It's still in perfect shape. I still have an original foot locker with a bunch of loose clothing in it.

How about those Kenner SSP racers with the plastic toothed strip you pulled through to get the big center wheel running?

Zeroids? Remember all those toys that had that same little electric motor running them?

Drew

sandman
01-31-2007, 10:58 AM
I confess I bought a reissue GI Joe Mercury capsule a few years back and was kind of relieved that my son didn't completely take to it :rolleyes: It's still in perfect shape. I still have an original foot locker with a bunch of loose clothing in it.

Drew

Has anyone seen the resin scale escape tower that fits the GI Joe Mercury capsule?

I saw one on Ebay about a year ago but didn't realize what it was until the auction was over.

Who made those escape towers?

THAT would make a really cool Little Joe I model! ;)

Ltvscout
01-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Zeroids? Remember all those toys that had that same little electric motor running them?
Zeroids! Yes! I had a couple of those guys. I was looking at them on eBay a few years ago. Pretty expensive nowadays!

dtomko
01-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Sandman,
I also saw those towers, which were amazing, and pricey, if I recall. Couldn't find the site, though, when I looked yesterday.

I think I had two Zeroids and yep they fetch good money on ebay these days.

I still have one Major Matt Mason, although I had the station and crawler and a bunch of stuff as a kid. One of these days I'll get him a repro helmet.
Drew

A Fish Named Wallyum
01-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Sandman,
I also saw those towers, which were amazing, and pricey, if I recall. Couldn't find the site, though, when I looked yesterday.

I think I had two Zeroids and yep they fetch good money on ebay these days.

I still have one Major Matt Mason, although I had the station and crawler and a bunch of stuff as a kid. One of these days I'll get him a repro helmet.
Drew

They make repro helmets? :eek:
Several years ago I stumbled onto an Ebay auction for a figure from the Major Matt series. This one had been customized in a pink space suit with a rainbow flag and the guy was supposed to be Major Matt's "alternative lifestyle" friend. It was incredibly well done and to look at it, you'd never know it was a custom. The colors on the suit had that same rubbery sheen that the originals had. Back then I had no idea how to save pictures to the computer or I'd have saved that one. He even had a tiny jeweled earring.
I had a ton of MMM stuff as a kid. I had the space station, crawler, that goofy ball that towed behind the crawler, the Laser Cannon that the foot tall guy operated, Jeff Long, Sgt. Storm, Doug Davis and Calypso the alien. Does anyone remember the big plastic plane that you strapped the figures in, then threw across the back yard? That one was pretty cool. :cool:

dtomko
02-01-2007, 09:13 AM
They make repro helmets? :eek:
Several years ago I stumbled onto an Ebay auction for a figure from the Major Matt series. This one had been customized in a pink space suit with a rainbow flag and the guy was supposed to be Major Matt's "alternative lifestyle" friend. It was incredibly well done and to look at it, you'd never know it was a custom. The colors on the suit had that same rubbery sheen that the originals had. Back then I had no idea how to save pictures to the computer or I'd have saved that one. He even had a tiny jeweled earring.
I had a ton of MMM stuff as a kid. I had the space station, crawler, that goofy ball that towed behind the crawler, the Laser Cannon that the foot tall guy operated, Jeff Long, Sgt. Storm, Doug Davis and Calypso the alien. Does anyone remember the big plastic plane that you strapped the figures in, then threw across the back yard? That one was pretty cool. :cool:

Yep:
http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/s-mart.cgi?command=listitems&type=search&pos=0

has a bunch of repro stuff and there are other sites. About a year and a half ago I went MMM nuts and searched out all this stuff.
An "alternative lifestyle" figure :eek:
A few years ago a Japanese company put out figures from the Major Matt Mason molds; they were identical, but with silver suits, I think. I believe Mattel put a stop to it finally. They show up on eBay at times, though.
My brother and I had all that stuff, only Mason and Doug Davis figures, though. The alien stuff was the beginning of the end. Remember those other rubber aliens, the ones from each planet? I don't think they were part of MMM. I'll have to search those out; many of you would remember them by sight.
The glider was awesome, but I don't think it flew very well. Too bad that was before my model rocket days :D
Here's pretty much what I have left, minus the Matchbox and Hot Wheels my son plays with. Bonus points for naming the two series the vehicles come from.

Drew

dtomko
02-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Colorforms aliens! These are the ones. I had all of them.

Drew

CPMcGraw
02-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Here's pretty much what I have left, minus the Matchbox and Hot Wheels my son plays with. Bonus points for naming the two series the vehicles come from.

Taking a stab at it:

1. The pink Rolls on the right is from Thunderbirds Are Go! Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward's ride.

2. The silver blob with tracks looks like something from UFO, but it's not identical. It's similar to the SHADO mobile. The white speeder resembles Commander Straker's car...

SHADO mobile: http://ufoseries.com/models/c21Mobile.jpg
Straker's car: http://ufoseries.com/models/dinkyCarBox.jpg

CPMcGraw
02-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Colorforms aliens! These are the ones. I had all of them.

Drew

Must have been the inspiration for Mars Attacks!

dtomko
02-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Taking a stab at it:

1. The pink Rolls on the right is from Thunderbirds Are Go! Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward's ride.

2. The silver blob with tracks looks like something from UFO, but it's not identical. It's similar to the SHADO mobile. The white speeder resembles Commander Straker's car...

SHADO mobile: http://ufoseries.com/models/c21Mobile.jpg
Straker's car: http://ufoseries.com/models/dinkyCarBox.jpg (http://ufoseries.com
/models/dinkyCarBox.jpg)

Yes on the Thunderbirds FAB-1, but the others are from an earlier show.

Drew

CPMcGraw
02-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Yes on the Thunderbirds FAB-1, but the others are from an earlier show.

Drew

Finally found something -- Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons...

From Comet Miniatures (by Konami): http://www.comet-miniatures.com/infopopup.php?product=KON0023&picture=1&

...and (by Corgi): http://www.comet-miniatures.com/infopopup.php?product=COR96303&picture=1&

dtomko
02-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Finally found something -- Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons...

From Comet Miniatures (by Konami): http://www.comet-miniatures.com/infopopup.php?product=KON0023&picture=1&

...and (by Corgi): http://www.comet-miniatures.com/infopopup.php?product=COR96303&picture=1&

Bingo! These are the original issue Dinky versions. Captain Scarlet was an earlier Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" show, along with Supercar and a couple others, before Fireball XL-5 and the Thunderbirds.

Drew

Ltvscout
02-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the bigredtoybox.com link, Drew. I found some more oldies but goodies. Did anyone have one of these? I loved playing with mine:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?amazeindex

Here's another toy I had that I forgot about:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?wizzzerindex

Here's info on the Zeroids along with a pic of my first Zeroid named Zobor:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?zeroidindex

We all remember the Frito Bandito, right? I had one of these erasers along with the Cheetos mouse eraser:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?fritoindex

My cousin had one of these:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?snoconeindex

Heh, I never used this but I remember my mom had it:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?dippitydooindex

I remember this powered mix drink as well:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?funfacindex

I had the Mickey Mouse version:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?gumballindex

Of course we remember the bikes with banana seats and shifters on the center bar:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?musclebikeindex

I always liked Quisp. I found it out in CA by my sisters house a few years ago:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?quispindex

Sizzlers:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?sizzlersindex

SSP info:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?sspindex

The Thingmaker! I had a number of those sets. I'll never forget the smell as they were "cooking". :D

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?thingindex

I remember being at a Christmas party at a relatives house around 65 or 66. I was just a little guy. One of my cousins got this as a present. We started playing with it tossing it to each other. It got to me and it went off. Boy did I cry!

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?timebombindex

I had all kinds of Viewmaster reels:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?vmindex

Vertibird info:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?vertindex

I loved collecting Wacky Packs:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?wakpakindex

I had a bunch of toys made by Wham-O, including the super elastic bubble plastic:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?whamoindex

A friend of mine had these:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?wheelieindex

tbzep
02-01-2007, 04:25 PM
I had a bunch of toys made by Wham-O, including the super elastic bubble plastic:

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?whamoindex

That stuff smelled soooooo good. I picked a fine time to stop sniffing Super Elastic Bubble Plastic.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Of course we remember the bikes with banana seats and shifters on the center bar:

Yeah, baby. This was probably my eighth birthday. Jay in particular should be interested in what it says on the front of my baseball shirt. ;) :rolleyes:

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Dave and I had some die-cast metal airplanes that hung from a piece of fishing line and launched off of a runway. They'd fly across the room to the end of the fishing line, then turn around and come back at you. You were supposed to "land" them on the runway. The hooks were removable. I thought they were called Hot Wings or Sky Hawks, but neither of them show up. I think they were part of the Hot Wheels empire. Anyone? :confused:

Never mind.
"On a similar line (but not part of the sizzler series) were the HotBirds. These were more traditional metal machines, but rather than being cars these were of planes! These planes could fly... well sort of.. Actually they could slide along a piece of fishing line via a paper clip like device which would be inserted into the top of each plane. They even had a gadget which had a built in fishing line and clamp that you could take with you and easily attach to any nearby object. More often than not the planes would not make it all the way down the string and they would get tangled up in the middle, but they were truly cool to look at and dream about flying. As far as I know only one of the Hotbirds was a prop driven plane."

Ltvscout
02-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Dave and I had some die-cast metal airplanes that hung from a piece of fishing line and launched off of a runway. They'd fly across the room to the end of the fishing line, then turn around and come back at you. You were supposed to "land" them on the runway. The hooks were removable. I thought they were called Hot Wings or Sky Hawks, but neither of them show up. I think they were part of the Hot Wheels empire. Anyone? :confused:

Never mind.
"On a similar line (but not part of the sizzler series) were the HotBirds.
I didn't have them but I do remember them.

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-01-2007, 04:50 PM
I didn't have them but I do remember them.

Like the quote says, they didn't work too well, but they were cool looking.

CPMcGraw
02-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Yeah, baby. This was probably my eighth birthday. Jay in particular should be interested in what it says on the front of my baseball shirt. ;) :rolleyes:

This is too weird...

You got that bike from Western Auto, didn't you? Say yes...:eek:

dtomko
02-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Like the quote says, they didn't work too well, but they were cool looking.

Had 'em, too. Didn't they make a cool jet sound as they went along the line, or am I thinking of something else :confused: I remember always having to stand on tip toes one way and get down to the floor the other way to try to keep the plane from stopping due to the sagging fishing line :(

Drew

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-01-2007, 06:57 PM
This is too weird...

You got that bike from Western Auto, didn't you? Say yes...:eek:

No. Probably Johnny's. I don't remember Western Auto being in the area, and most of our birthday presents came from Johnny's. I guess you had one like it?

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Had 'em, too. Didn't they make a cool jet sound as they went along the line, or am I thinking of something else :confused: I remember always having to stand on tip toes one way and get down to the floor the other way to try to keep the plane from stopping due to the sagging fishing line :(

Drew

I don't remember a sound, but it's possible. I think the idea was okay, but the die-cast metal just made the planes too heavy.
I believe we had the first four on the "advertisement" on this page:
http://www.hwprotos.com/menu-grp/hotbirds.htm

CPMcGraw
02-01-2007, 09:47 PM
No. Probably Johnny's. I don't remember Western Auto being in the area, and most of our birthday presents came from Johnny's. I guess you had one like it?

Very similar. The blue trim, the shift handle, all very familiar. Mine had a larger rear wheel, and originally came with "over-n-under" handlebars.

Did you ever attach a parachute to yours?

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Very similar. The blue trim, the shift handle, all very familiar. Mine had a larger rear wheel, and originally came with "over-n-under" handlebars.

Did you ever attach a parachute to yours?

A parachute? Try DUAL parachutes! I tied two Poopatroopers to the back of the sissy-bar. (Hmm, is it sissybar or sissy-bar?) Bad idea, as they became hopelessly entangled with each other. I had visions of looking like a dragster, but apparently the winds coming off my butt were a swirling vortex. :eek: ;)

Tau Zero
02-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Jay in particular should be interested in what it says on the front of my baseball shirt. ;) :rolleyes:Aw. :) "Little Potato!" --And what a big spud you grew up to be. ;)

(Not like I think you're starchy, now, or anything. :o ) --Hey, lookit those custom Idaho license plates down below!

Cheers,

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Aw. :) "Little Potato!" --And what a big spud you grew up to be. ;)

Our t-ball league was called the Little Potato League around here. That's a GEN-YOO-WINE W.B. Jones Spring Company t-shirt. We also got caps with our name stitched on them. (So the coaches would know who they were yelling at.) We went 10-0, so there wasn't much to yell about.

--Hey, lookit those custom Idaho license plates down below!
Cheers,

Yeah, I saw that link when you posted it last week. I did a few Kentucky plates with both of those names on them. They're on my screensaver her at work. I need to send that link to my brother. He was always the custom plate guy. (He had a Finnish curse word for several years. I don't think the DMV ever got wise.)

DeanHFox
02-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Dave and I had some die-cast metal airplanes that hung from a piece of fishing line and launched off of a runway. They'd fly across the room to the end of the fishing line, then turn around and come back at you. You were supposed to "land" them on the runway. The hooks were removable. I thought they were called Hot Wings or Sky Hawks, but neither of them show up. I think they were part of the Hot Wheels empire. Anyone? :confused:I've got a complete set of these, Bill. I used to have "drag races" with them and the boy next door.

Personally, I liked the names of the planes..."Star Grazer", "Maching Bird", "Sky Scraper", "Cloud Hopper", "Regal Eagle", and "Ski Gull". They had a waaaay cool futuristic control tower/hangar that looked like something out of a Gerry & Sylvia Anderson SuperMarionation show :) The Cloud Hopper was the only one with a propellor on the front (and even then, it looked like a Rutan design..very sleek); the others all had at least one moving part (besides the lander gear)...similar to Hot Wheels of the time, you could "lift up a hood and see the jet engines inside" or "open the speed flaps" or "open the cockpit"...All in all a very logical extension of their HotWheels line. I was sad they never made more than the 6 planes.

I'll have to dig through the attic and find my old HotBirds stuff for a few pics...they were great. :)

A Fish Named Wallyum
02-02-2007, 06:21 AM
I've got a complete set of these, Bill. I used to have "drag races" with them and the boy next door.

Personally, I liked the names of the planes..."Star Grazer", "Maching Bird", "Sky Scraper", "Cloud Hopper", "Regal Eagle", and "Ski Gull". They had a waaaay cool futuristic control tower/hangar that looked like something out of a Gerry & Sylvia Anderson SuperMarionation show :) The Cloud Hopper was the only one with a propellor on the front (and even then, it looked like a Rutan design..very sleek); the others all had at least one moving part (besides the lander gear)...similar to Hot Wheels of the time, you could "lift up a hood and see the jet engines inside" or "open the speed flaps" or "open the cockpit"...All in all a very logical extension of their HotWheels line. I was sad they never made more than the 6 planes.

I'll have to dig through the attic and find my old HotBirds stuff for a few pics...they were great. :)

I read that there are two that were in catalogs, but never confirmed as released. I know I had the one with the flaps. I remember those very clearly.

Green Dragon
02-04-2007, 09:04 AM
finally got a pic ( such as it is ) to post, of my old room at my parents houise ( still full of my stuff, and rocket display / storage room, due to my tiny apartment ) .

photo attached, showing the ' wall o' Joes ' .. GI Joe collection has 'wowed' many a rocketeer visitor, whether they were 'into' Joes or not, lol .
Been spending my loose change ( what little I have these days, lol ) on old rockets, and Semroc parts, so not much collecting going on, but they still have a prominent space for now ( til I sell for more rocket money, lol )

~ AL

shockwaveriderz
02-20-2021, 06:14 AM
I used to play poison pot marbles and was **** good at it too.

barone
02-20-2021, 07:37 AM
finally got a pic ( such as it is ) to post, of my old room at my parents houise ( still full of my stuff, and rocket display / storage room, due to my tiny apartment ) .

photo attached, showing the ' wall o' Joes ' .. GI Joe collection has 'wowed' many a rocketeer visitor, whether they were 'into' Joes or not, lol .
Been spending my loose change ( what little I have these days, lol ) on old rockets, and Semroc parts, so not much collecting going on, but they still have a prominent space for now ( til I sell for more rocket money, lol )

~ AL
I like how you raised the ceiling to get the bigger rockets to fit...... :rolleyes:

Tau Zero
02-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Yeah, baby. This was probably my eighth birthday. Jay in particular should be interested in what it says on the front of my baseball shirt. ;) :rolleyes:I'm WAY late to the party, as usual, Bill.

"Little potatoes grow up to be BIG SPUDS!"

"For all you do... This spud's for you."

Boise, Idaho even has an annual "Potato Drop" on New Year's Eve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPK13Ln74i4

Then there was the time that somebody with the initials P.M. told me on rocketreviews.com, "Way to go, Idaho!" (see comments at bottom of page)

https://www.rocketreviews.com/semroc-astronautics-corporation-sls-javelin--by-jay-goemmer.html

dlazarus6660
02-21-2021, 05:41 PM
So getting back to old toys I had.
I had both The Dareplane Stunter and The Vertibird at the same time.
I had a "friend" over to play with my cool toys.
I flew the Stunter, he flew the Vertibird.
He suddenly pushed the Vertibird into the path of the Stunter and the plane exploded in front of me.
I had my mother take him back home right away.

ghrocketman
02-21-2021, 05:47 PM
HILARIOUS mid-air of toys.
Almost as entertaining as a Powr-Prang.

tbzep
02-21-2021, 06:17 PM
I had both The Dareplane Stunter and The Vertibird at the same time.
I got both of those the same year. I couldn't believe it. It was by far the best Christmas I ever had!

dlazarus6660
02-21-2021, 07:51 PM
I got both of those the same year. I couldn't believe it. It was by far the best Christmas I ever had!

I couldn't either.

My mom and dad would hand me the Sears Christmas catalog and stand behind me.
They took notes on what I was interested in.
It took me years to figure this out.
I thought they could read my mind.
That was my greatest Christmas until I had children.

Blushingmule
02-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Did any one have one of these?

I had flown small control-line for years and thought this would be a fun indoor activity.

It was o.k. at best The cable drive and control set up was fairly clever though.

Bob
p.s. it's hard to believe that Hot Wheels are nearly 53 years old!
p.p.s. one of the few things I have left from the 70's is a p-38 on the key ring.

tbzep
02-22-2021, 11:39 AM
Did any one have one of these?

I had flown small control-line for years and thought this would be a fun indoor activity.

It was o.k. at best The cable drive and control set up was fairly clever though.

Bob
p.s. it's hard to believe that Hot Wheels are nearly 53 years old!
p.p.s. one of the few things I have left from the 70's is a p-38 on the key ring.
That's very similar to the Dareplane we were talking about except the Dareplane is battery powered.

Blushingmule
02-22-2021, 01:00 PM
Scott,

[QUOTE=Ltvscout]Thanks for the bigredtoybox.com link, Drew. I found some more oldies but goodies.

*Muscle bikes! My friend Craig could ride a wheelie around the neighborhood without touching down...his was a real Schwinn Stingray too.

The Thingmaker! I had a number of those sets. I'll never forget the smell as they were "cooking". :D

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?thingindex

*Get yours here: http://creepycrawlers.homestead.com//?reqp=1&reqr=

Fun Stuff

Bob
p.s. back when the closest thing to safety warnings were age recommendations and it
was good stuff if UL listed ;)

Blushingmule
02-22-2021, 01:34 PM
Here's a trip down memory lane...

http://www.wishbookweb.com/the-catalogs/

Bob

Ltvscout
02-22-2021, 02:45 PM

Bob
Awesome! Thanks!

I used both the Sears and Penney's wishbooks as a kid.

Blushingmule
02-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

I used both the Sears and Penney's wishbooks as a kid.

Yer welcome. My sisters and I wore them out!

Bob

PaulK
02-27-2021, 07:53 AM

BobOh, no, this might just kill my entire weekend. Those were awesome!