Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I do not think the USAF ever used turbo-props in any heavy bomber or any bomber at all.
I'd'a sworn there was a turbo-prop variant of the B-29/B-50, but it may have only been a prototype that never reached production. If I get some more time, I'll do some digging around to see what I can find.

[Edit]I think what I was recalling was the derivative (2nd order) Guppies. The Boeing Stratocruiser (model 377) was derived from the B-29/B-50. In turn, this begat the Guppies, which had the turbo-props.

Doug

YORF member #11

Last edited by Doug Sams : 06-14-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Master Modeler

What became the B-52 was originally conceived as a turboprop but that never got beyond the paper stage and thereby hangs a fairly interesting story in Boeing history involving a balsa model built in a hotel room.....

In trying to see if Boeing ever did a turboprop I only (so far) have found the B-17 turboprop test bed - which was the very same airframe as the one that burned yesterday. I did find a retouched version of the usual picture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:P...ed_NAN10-50.jpg) showing the original engines Photoshopped out.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Master Modeler

[QUOTE=P.S. Randy, there is no nose gear in a B-17! Perhaps you meant the starboard or port LG?[/QUOTE]

You are of course correct. Should have said landing gear.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
[Edit]I think what I was recalling was the derivative (2nd order) Guppies. The Boeing Stratocruiser (model 377) was derived from the B-29/B-50. In turn, this begat the Guppies, which had the turbo-props.

Doug

Those, of course, were standard Stratocruisers that were modified/converted to Guppies/Super Guppies later in their lives, not unlike the current 747-based "Dreamlifters" that are used to ferry 787 parts around the world or the Airbus "Super Transporters" which do the same sort of duty.

Not unlike the original subject of this thread that did some duty as a turboprop testbed for Pratt and Whitney at one time, as noted before.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams

Which Old Testament book did these verses come from?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Which Old Testament book did these verses come from?
I can't recall, but it's between the books of Orville and Wilbur

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Retired Missile Technician

BEC noted: "Nope. B-50 is a strengthened B-29 with a larger vertical tail and R-4360 four-row radials. http://www.boeing.com/history/boeing/b50.html"

He is correct. I apologize for my error. I guess the change in the engine configuration lead me to believe that they were turbos.
Sure am glad that the B-52 went to turbojets and later turbofans. I have been under a "H" model BUFF with all eight fans running at full throttle while working a bomb bay door problem. Our missile system was not the problem.

Chas
Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Master Modeler

In chasing this further I was reminded that the turbine Super Guppies (http://www.allaboutguppys.com/sgt/377sgtf.htm) were for a time operated by Airbus to move assemblies between plants. This led to a sign I used to see around the office from time to time that pictured one with the caption "the first flight of every Airbus is on Boeing wings".

http://www.allaboutguppys.com/sgt/guppy48.jpg

Of course they have their A300-based "Beluga" now and aren't using the Super Guppies anymore..... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_Beluga)
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Years ago I was flying a contest down in Houston at the JSC when a Super Guppy flew over with the right inboard engine feathered. It was headed into Ellington Field.

I retired from the then Carswell AFB in 1993. My wife is a speech pathologist in the neighboring school district. She would tell me about aircraft in the flightpath over the school, where she would have to hold up lessons until the planes were gone. She discribed one strange beast and when I showed her a picture from Aviation Week she confirmed that it was an Airbus Beluga. The Lockheed Martin plant sits across the runway from what is now the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station Fort Worth Carswell Field. As I said, Carswell. Just wonder what LM had to bring in to have had to charter a Beluga?

Chas
Old 06-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

Oh, poo. I thought that name rang a 'bell' (no pun intended). Here's some photos of her at the annual air show here in Augusta (GA) back in '05.

At least this one's demise had a much happier outcome than many of those lost over Europe during the war. Lots of brave crews lost. Lots.

Earl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Liberty Belle-2005-1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  135.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Liberty Belle-2005-2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  158.6 KB  
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions