Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Almost shovel ready

I stumbled upon this old thread while Googling for David G. Sleeter, author of these works. I purchased copies of "Building Your Own Rocket Motors" (1983) and "Amateur Rocket Motor Construction" (2004), both by Teleflite Corporation. I also have downloaded copies of the "Five Cent Sugar Rocket" and the "Homemade Hydrogen Report" by the elusive Mr. Sleeter. A search of Amazon and other rare book sites indicate I made a good investment.

I also obtained a copy of a sugar rocket construction manual entitled "Bravo Niner" by John Drayna, which appears to have been based upon Sleeter's work. http://www.privatedata.com/byb/rock...oberscience.pdf Drayna had apparently applied for a patent on a device he called "HANEES" for "Heat Activated Non-Explosive Ejection System". Very interesting stuff.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Craftsman

Way back in 85 (before my NAR membership) I made probably 200+ Teleflite C-9 motors. They would kick like a mule (or B-14) and I did use the blast shield, but never had any 'problems'.

Last edited by JohnNGA : 02-28-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNGA
Way back in 85 (before my NAR membership) I made probably 250+ Teleflite C-9 motors. They would kick like a mule (or B-14) and I did use the blast shield, but never had any 'problems'.

Based on these prices http://www.amazon.com/Amateur-Rocke...or+construction perhaps I should put these works in a safe?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Based on these prices http://www.amazon.com/Amateur-Rocke...or+construction perhaps I should put these works in a safe?

WOW!!! I've got that book also, cruise time.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

As long as the motors are not failing in an unsafe manner with GREAT regularity ON THE PAD at a sanctioned launch, NAR should not be concerned with the safety of how they are MADE if they ever do allow 'research'. This is something Tripoli has gotten 100% correct...they butt the H&LL out of the research motor construction process. I however DISAGREE with Tripoli regarding requiring Level 2 to do research. Should be a free-for-all FIELD DAY.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
As long as the motors are not failing in an unsafe manner with GREAT regularity ON THE PAD at a sanctioned launch, NAR should not be concerned with the safety of how they are MADE if they ever do allow 'research'. This is something Tripoli has gotten 100% correct...they butt the H&LL out of the research motor construction process. I however DISAGREE with Tripoli regarding requiring Level 2 to do research. Should be a free-for-all FIELD DAY.

In order to stay in "good graces" with their respective insurance carriers, both the NAR and Tripoli Clubs have no choice but to comply with the restrictions placed upon them via NFPA and the Alphabet Soup Agencies. It's the Golden Rule yet again:

He Who Has the Gold Makes the Rules
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Quite frankly I think we ALL would be a lot better off with a whole lot more freedom without the NFPA, the alphabet soup agencies, and the insurance carriers having any say in what does/does not go. The insurance companies should have to cover whatever the customer wants wherever and have to eat it from the profit. 99.9% of the time insurance is a usurious RIPOFF industry.
I would much rather have a return to the "Wild Wild West" days of rocketry of the 50's and even 60's where regulations were nearly non-existent.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned

Don't forget the October Science "BRAVO-NINER" motors . . .

http://www.privatedata.com/byb/rocketry/octoberscience.pdf
Old 08-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
In order to stay in "good graces" with their respective insurance carriers, both the NAR and Tripoli Clubs have no choice but to comply with the restrictions placed upon them via NFPA and the Alphabet Soup Agencies. It's the Golden Rule yet again:
He Who Has the Gold Makes the Rules
Not literally true. NFPA is a voluntary compliance regime to self-define model rocketry and high power rocketry. One of those clubs often skates its own rules. The insurance company is a separate entity that simply wants to see a claims history in the segment one is operating which is why amateur rocketry has a lower insurance cost than model rocketry. There is perceived risk to putting a product on every shelf.

The limit to HPR is actually the "small population" of "only" 5000 approved users worldwide. That makes premiums excessively high. TRA and NAR have designed the system to intentionally increase the barriers to entry to HPR to far above what they used to be when there were over 20,000 users and rising 20% per year.

Jerry
Old 08-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
TRA and NAR have designed the system to intentionally increase the barriers to entry to HPR to far above what they used to be when there were over 20,000 users and rising 20% per year.

Jerry

Why do you think that they have done that ?

Why would they want to DECREASE participation ?