Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Guys,

It's always fun when you guys are at least marginally interested in my projects!

To answer the questions:

1) I don't know where the corrugated paper I have comes from, but I will find out when SWMBO gets home. I know Semroc sells generic wraps, also.

2) I have already used the Semroc Nose Cone Designer for both the aeroshroud and the booster cones, gimme a day or two and if Carl green lights it, we can share. For what it's worth, the Shenzhou shroud appears to be almost proportionally identical to the Soyuz shroud except for the longer bi-conic nose.

3) Sandman, I'd like to get (buy) some more of those laser-cut Soyuz flop-down whatever-they're-called (stabilizers?), but with the center piece a rectangle 1" x whatever-the-ones-you sent me are, as the Chinese version is clearly longer but more or less the same width. Also, the side pieces need to be a little longer (maybe another 1/16) on the "foot" section where they mount to the aeroshroud. I'm going to throw an envelope in the mail for you tomorrow.

Look at the picture you posted earlier, do the sides below the capsule seem to taper a bit at the top? Or is that an illusion?

Johnathan...just stop it...we're building models here!

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

I think its an illusion, but we are unlikely to know for sure. I've looked at the pictures available on the web including some assembly pictures (If you think the VAB is a rip-off on the outside, the only way to tell the pictures of the insides apart is what kind of rocket is being assembled) and they just don't seem tapered.

I did Bing image searches for "Shenzhou", "CZ-2F" and "taikonaut". You guys tell me what you think.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
I think its an illusion, but we are unlikely to know for sure. I've looked at the pictures available on the web including some assembly pictures (If you think the VAB is a rip-off on the outside, the only way to tell the pictures of the insides apart is what kind of rocket is being assembled) and they just don't seem tapered.

I did Bing image searches for "Shenzhou", "CZ-2F" and "taikonaut". You guys tell me what you think.

Well...DUUHHHH!

I have one of those Sky Rockets models of the Shenzou! I forgot I had it!

It's a lot smaller. The main body is smaller than a BT-50 (0.87").

But it is indeed tapered, well this model is and ya gotta figure since it's made in China it's probably accurate.

It measures 0.942" at the top and 1.065" at the base.

According to the composite pic I made the model is close...not perfect but close. It needs a LOT of details added but you can do that with an upscale.

I could even do a decal upscale from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Shezou top.JPG
Views: 100
Size:  114.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Shezou base.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  117.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Shezou.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  58.1 KB  

Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 AM

I played with the design last night and I came up with a capsule.

The drawing is a pdf.

It scales up to 236% of the Sky Rocket's model. [SHENZOU]

The only problem using an ST-20 tube is the scaling of the booster tubes.

They come out to 1.44" in diameter...nothing matches that size. A BT-56, ST-13 is too small (1.34"). A BT-58 is too big (1.54")

But!

If you scale it up slightly to a BT-70 (closer to 1/70th scale) the main body the booster tubes are 1.56" . [pdf SHENZOU2]

A BT-58 is very very close!

Last edited by sandman : 02-22-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:26 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
The only problem using an ST-20 tube is the scaling of the booster tubes.

They come out to 1.44" in diameter...nothing matches that size. A BT-56, ST-13 is too small (1.34"). A BT-58 is too big (1.54")

But!

If you scale it up slightly to a BT-70 (closer to 1/70th scale) the main body the booster tubes are 1.56" . [pdf SHENZOU2]

A BT-58 is very very close!

Did you mean "scale it up slightly to a BT-70 (closer to 1/60th scale)"?

Could it be that the Sky kit had to take liberties to use standard tube sizes rendering the boosters not quite scale?

Or go with TT-55 from Aerospace Specialty Products with an OD of 1.385? That is the closest commercial tube to 1.44" with the possible exception of 38mm propellant casting tubes which I have not researched and added to my list..

Bill
Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Did you mean "scale it up slightly to a BT-70 (closer to 1/60th scale)"?

Could it be that the Sky kit had to take liberties to use standard tube sizes rendering the boosters not quite scale?

Or go with TT-55 from Aerospace Specialty Products with an OD of 1.385? That is the closest commercial tube to 1.44" with the possible exception of 38mm propellant casting tubes which I have not researched and added to my list..

Bill

Yea, I was probably typing too fast.

I was making assumptions on the accuracy of the Sky kit. The tubes don't appear to be "standard".

I'm not sure where to find the correct dimensions or that they are even available.

The main body tube on the Sky kit does seem a bit long compared to the picture of the real one and the boosters seem a bit short.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:34 PM
I do not like Facebook

Sadly, 38mm casting tube is too small. But the effort was far from wasted. It turns out that 98mm casting tube is a close approximation to the 3.4" tube I had been seeking!!!

http://www.rocketmotorparts.com/products.html

Bill
Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
I'm not sure where to find the correct dimensions or that they are even available.

The best approach may be approximation using a photo as MarkB was doing. Even Peter Alway did that to a small degree on ROTW. At least one of the sounding rockets listed the diameter of a Nike booster as something slightly different than 16.5"

Bill
Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Sadly, 38mm casting tube is too small. But the effort was far from wasted. It turns out that 98mm casting tube is a close approximation to the 3.4" tube I had been seeking!!!

http://www.rocketmotorparts.com/products.html

Bill

Are you making a big one?

Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Are you making a big one?

3.4" comes up is two situations. 10 foot boosters in 1/35 scale (Atlas, Titan) for starters. It is a nice scale to build launch vehicles.

The second is that I like to build 1.67 upscales. Centuri ST-20 maps to 3.4"

BT-5 0.544" -> 0.908" T-.908" (ST-8)
BT-20 0.736" -> 1.229" T-52H (29mm motor mount tube)
ST-8 0.908" -> 1.516" T-40 Quest
BT-50 0.976" -> 1.630" BT-60
ST-10 1.040" -> 1.737" ???
BT-55 1.325" -> 2.213" BT-70
BT-56 1.346" -> 2.248" T-70H
BT-60 1.637" -> 2.734" Semroc LT-275?
ST-20 2.042" -> 3.410" Estes Mercury Atlas size
BT-70 2.217" -> 3.702" BT-100

Bill