Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Is there an easier way to convert the capsule to a Freedom 7 other than what Ralph did (replace the window with part of the capsule cut from a second kit) ?

Maybe make a mold to cast a thin skin to cover the window?

Oops -- gotta go -- the tornado sirens just went off...

Bill

Yeah, but the Estes capsule really was MR-3. From MR-4 on there is a window immediately to the left of the hatch. Then again, from fifteen feet away most will not know and few will notice.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 09-08-2010, 06:27 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Yeah, but the Estes capsule really was MR-3. From MR-4 on there is a window immediately to the left of the hatch. Then again, from fifteen feet away most will not know and few will notice.

I do not have the kit in front of me, but I seem to recall that the capsule has the window instead of the porthole as it is the same part used on the Mercury-Atlas kits.

I'll go dig one out tomorrow and check.

Bill
Old 09-08-2010, 06:52 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Also thought I would submit this photo which I use for placement of the capsule markings. Note that the porthole versus window location is pretty clear.

Trivia question time.

Deke Slayton was scheduled to make an orbital flight after John Glenn, but was grounded due to a heart problem. Had he been able to fly, what nickname would his capsule bear?

As I understand it, each astronaut was permitted to pick his own nickname, so I doubt that Slayton named the ship Aurora and Carpenter chose to keep it.

Bill
Old 09-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I do not have the kit in front of me, but I seem to recall that the capsule has the window instead of the porthole as it is the same part used on the Mercury-Atlas kits.

I'll go dig one out tomorrow and check.

Bill

If you do then let me know from whence it came. All that I have seen are the hatch, one circular porthole, and the periscope door. And the roll thrusters of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_6440.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  171.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_6434.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  62.3 KB  
Old 09-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Trivia question time.

Deke Slayton was scheduled to make an orbital flight after John Glenn, but was grounded due to a heart problem. Had he been able to fly, what nickname would his capsule bear?

As I understand it, each astronaut was permitted to pick his own nickname, so I doubt that Slayton named the ship Aurora and Carpenter chose to keep it.

Bill

An interesting question. I did read somewhere that his MA-7 was going to be Delta 7.

Here is one for you, what would Jerrie Cobb have called her flight?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
An interesting question. I did read somewhere that his MA-7 was going to be Delta 7.

Here is one for you, what would Jerrie Cobb have called her flight?

Yep, Delta 7.

Another trivia question: There was a push to fly a day-long Mercury mission (and there was a capsule for it) after Cooper finished the 'last' Mercury mission.

Which astro was pushing for the flight and wanted desparately to fly it (one and the same person)? He (they) even went 'over' Administrator Webb's head to JFK to try to get it approved....but JFK tossed it back to Webb for his approval (Webb said 'no'.....the program would end with Cooper's flight as intended).

Webb was no big fan of this particular astro basically from that point forward (and possibly even predating that event), since Webb felt like the astros were (or had) been using their 'star' power (no pun intended) a bit more than he liked.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Is there an easier way to convert the capsule to a Freedom 7 other than what Ralph did (replace the window with part of the capsule cut from a second kit) ?

Maybe make a mold to cast a thin skin to cover the window?

Oops -- gotta go -- the tornado sirens just went off...

Bill

That's what I would do. Cast an area at an appropriate side.

You know what we really need are some hyper scale Mercury/Escape Tower kits for the #2167 kit, and one for a 2.60" airframe. Now that would be sweet. I would be all over that.

Greg
Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yep, Delta 7.

Another trivia question: There was a push to fly a day-long Mercury mission (and there was a capsule for it) after Cooper finished the 'last' Mercury mission.

Which astro was pushing for the flight and wanted desparately to fly it (one and the same person)? He (they) even went 'over' Administrator Webb's head to JFK to try to get it approved....but JFK tossed it back to Webb for his approval (Webb said 'no'.....the program would end with Cooper's flight as intended).

Webb was no big fan of this particular astro basically from that point forward (and possibly even predating that event), since Webb felt like the astros were (or had) been using their 'star' power (no pun intended) a bit more than he liked.

Earl

I read about this somewhere...

Was that Shepherd?

Greg
Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:

Let's do some brainstorming here. With the collective expertise of this group, we ought to be able to pick this thing apart

I've numbered the seams 1 to 18. The highlighted object on line 18 is the window, right?

I've no idea what the thing is spanning seams 2-4.

Seam 7 strikes me as being an abrupt, incongruous seam. It may be that the molds were getting old, but it almost looks like these two sections weren't meant to be next to each other (of the three sections glued to together). I'm sure that's not the case, but when I look at that line (7), it just doesn't look right. For example, the (vertical) rivet line is missing (as shown below) but it's there on the other side of the hatch/panel.

I take it that's the hatch spanning lines 7-11?

We have seemingly identical objects spanning seams 11-13 as on 2-4. So they're symmetrical. But I don't know what they are.

Seam 13 has a round opening. Is this for the periscope? Or is this the window and the object at seams 17-18 (far left above) is the periscope opening?

(The one major paradigm shift that I've undergone is coming to understand the window is not in the hatch. I always assumed that's where it was.)

So, there it is. Have at it!

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM