Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I don't think C02 will work though as the pressures required to liquefy at common temps are too high.

Agree with Allen and don'y buy into the C02 is a greenhouse gas crapola either.

Go ahead-ASK ME ABOUT MY CARBON FOOTPRINT !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Old BAR

Testor's Airbrush propellant is:

Difluroethane (90-95%) and 2-methylbutane (5-10%).

Another commonly used (as has been stated) propellant is: 1,1,1,2-Tetrafluoroethane (R-134a).

I guess it will boil down (pardon the pun) to which is cheaper?

Allen
Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 PM
BAR

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
CO2 makes up such a miniscule amount of the atmosphere, there is debate as to whether it can really even be classed as a greenhouse gas. Lots of HYPE does not make it so.
Kinda like all those cows polluting the atmosphere with WAY too much methane.
The volcano eruption recently spewed more CO2 into the air in one day than the earth's population exhales in a year, for goodness sakes!
In the 70's we were all heading to a new Ice Age. Touted by the same morons who say we are all going to roast from rising temps and drown from the melted icecaps today.
Remeber the idiots who protested that the Concord flights would burn up the ozone?
Geez!
It just will not happen.
Warming is a solar event. Period.

Allen

AMEN and amen!!! OL JR
Old 07-21-2010, 01:35 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
I'm not going to waste my time doing research, but I do not beleive that the aircraft you listed flew in the STRATOSPHERE at SUPERSONIC CRUISE for any periods of time that would approach the levels of a fleet of civilian passenger carrying supersonic transports (like the Concorde or the cancelled B-2707).

The B-1B is not a B-1A.

Supersonic cruise is not supersonic dash.

Mach 1.25 is not Mach 2.02 is not mach 2.7

etc.
I doubt if the velocity of the aircraft is relevant with regards to its exhaust chemical dispersion in the stratosphere (jet exhaust is jet exhaust), but rather the altitude at which it flies to disperse its exhaust (but the B-58 and SR-71 *did* fly supersonically in the stratosphere for hours per flight). Most if not all of the subsonic jet bombers all had/have ceilings well above those of most jet airliners (over 50,000 feet)--these include the American B-47 and B-52, the Soviet/Russian "Badger" and "Bear," and the British Valiant, Vulcan, and Victor.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 07-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I doubt if the velocity of the aircraft is relevant with regards to its exhaust chemical dispersion in the stratosphere (jet exhaust is jet exhaust), but rather the altitude at which it flies to disperse its exhaust (but the B-58 and SR-71 *did* fly supersonically in the stratosphere for hours per flight). Most if not all of the subsonic jet bombers all had/have ceilings well above those of most jet airliners (over 50,000 feet)--these include the American B-47 and B-52, the Soviet/Russian "Badger" and "Bear," and the British Valiant, Vulcan, and Victor.

The U-2/TR-1 spends hours at those altitudes without refueling, much longer than any Concorde flight. It's eventual replacement, the Global Hawk, does as well.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The U-2/TR-1 spends hours at those altitudes without refueling, much longer than any Concorde flight. It's eventual replacement, the Global Hawk, does as well.

And the total number of hours flown compares to a fleet of civilian passenger carrying SSTs as envisioned in the days of the Concorde and B-2707 development?

More importantly, the total amount of exhaust (nitrous oxides and water vapor at that altitude) for all of the super efficient sailplane-like U-2s compared to the total exhaust for a world full of SSTs is?????
Old 07-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
And the total number of hours flown compares to a fleet of civilian passenger carrying SSTs as envisioned in the days of the Concorde and B-2707 development?

More importantly, the total amount of exhaust (nitrous oxides and water vapor at that altitude) for all of the super efficient sailplane-like U-2s compared to the total exhaust for a world full of SSTs is?????

Super efficient may go correspond with the Global Hawk, but the U-2 started out with a J57, and later the J75 turbojets, neither were the cleanest ever built. They only got the nice clean fans around the time of the TR-1 and I don't know if the U-2 variants were retrofitted.

The U-2 flew daily long duration missions for decades over many targets. Not just one or two flights a day across the pond. The scope of recon flights was enormous until just a few years ago.

Now for the "fleet"...it consisted of a handful of Concorde aircraft as compared to more than 80 U-2's. It also flew from 1955 until present. IIRC, only 14 or 15 Concordes were split between the French and British and flew from the mid 70's until around 2000. I know the Concorde polluted like crazy, but what the U-2 lacks in bulk output, it has made up for by constant use over 55 years of service, twice as long as the Concorde.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:33 PM
Junior Rocketeer

The Earth has been warming since the last ICE AGE.................
Old 08-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Fred,
I think it is still manufactured and used around the world, is it not?

For a while in the 1980's and 1990's until most of the R-12 cars were off the road, There was a huge smuggling business bringing in R-12 across the border from Mexico. I was told that for a period of 5-6 years it was more lucrative than drug smuggling.

I believe that Mexico still manufactures R-12 .

What has not been said is that DuPont's patent on R-12 was also going to run out in the 1970's
Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
For a while in the 1980's and 1990's until most of the R-12 cars were off the road, There was a huge smuggling business bringing in R-12 across the border from Mexico. I was told that for a period of 5-6 years it was more lucrative than drug smuggling.

I believe that Mexico still manufactures R-12 .

What has not been said is that DuPont's patent on R-12 was also going to run out in the 1970's
Somewhere here on YORF (not in this thread), Luke Strawwalker (OL JR) gave a detailed history of the goings-on at DuPont at that time. The gist of it is that DuPont jumped on the CFC/ozone bandwagon just as their R-12 patent was about to expire in order to try to kill off any other potential R-12 producers, and at about that time their new HFC refrigerants were "waiting in the wings" to replace R-12. Very cynical of them, but undeniably profitable for them.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR