Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
The chute wadding was an unexpected bonus, but the 1970 A5-4 motor caused me to cringe a bit. Media mail ain't the way to ship those things

true - although shipping this rocket kit / items shown , regardless of the engine, is ILLEGAL to ship MEDIA MAIL , which is for periodicals / books and media ONLY.
the selelr could face hefty fines is caught shipping non-media items via media mail .

~ AL
Old 09-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Master Modeler

Actually the stuff in the photo arrived by priority mail - today I also received a 71 Centuri catalog by media mail.

Got them confused in the post - my apologies. Post now edited to reflect correct shipping.
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 09-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Master Modeler

Heh-heh.

Al Andrake of AAA Model Aviation Fuels shipped kits, motors, and whathaveyou by Book Rate all the time.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
I won an Ebay auction with parts to the Egg Crate, and they arrived today:

The chute wadding was an unexpected bonus, but the 1970 A5-4 motor caused me to cringe a bit. Priority mail ain't the way to ship those things

Measurements are:

Payload tube - ST-20, 5" length
Body tube - ST-16, 12" length (note balsa coupler glued in one end - more on this later)
Nose cone - 2.5" bezier, exact match to Semroc ST-2026

Fins (I will scan and send in patterns on Monday):

Root chord - 3.0"
Tip chord - 1.7813"
Sweep length - 2.2813"
Sweep angle - 45 deg
Semi-span - 2.2813"

Launch lug stand-off:

Root chord - 2.0"
Tip chord - 1.625"
Sweep length - 0.1875"
Sweep angle - 45 deg
Semi-span - 0.1875"

As you can see there are 2 launch lug stand offs on each sheet. I sincerely doubt this puppy uses all four, but suspect it does use two.

I puzzled over the lack of a balsa adapter, and originally thought it had been lost with the instructions, decals, motor tubes, etc. I also could not figure out why there was an ST-16 balsa coupler glued into the body tube and why a paper ST-20 coupler was in the parts. I did some ciphering, and figured out that using a Semroc BR-1620F adapter would put me at least an inch over the rocket length given in the catalog. I couldn't figure out what was up, and had about decided the length was a typo.

Then it hit me...

I went over to the parts section of the 71 catalog, and noticed there was no balsa adapter to connect a ST-16 to an ST-20 - there was only a paper one, the PR-1620, which had a shroud 1 " long.

Mystery solved - I think.

The Egg Crate used a paper shroud - seems kinda crazy for an egg lofter - and part of the ST-16 (over an inch) was used in the construction of the adapter. The balsa coupler was then used to connect the adapter+payload section to the body. Length problem solved.

Does anyone have any instructions to verify the above (and also to tell me if 2 launch lug stand offs were used)? Pretty please?

I am planning to clone this, but may make life simple and use a Semroc BR-1620F - at 1.2", it is a little longer than the PR-1620, but a 10.5" body tube would provide a match to the catalog length. That would save the trouble of constructing a paper one, and eliminate the need for a balsa coupler.

Now to work on drawing the decals - looking at the pic on the inside back cover of the 71 Centuri catalog, they consist of a black and red roll pattern, and a couple of lines. Also looks like 2 horizontal strips of silver foil along the egg capsule.

Rocksim file with correct fins and using the BR-1620F attached.
Well Bill.....I don't know what to say since it seems at least two other forum guys (me being one ) were also bidding on this kit. I think Scott has instructions and a set of decals. Please make the patterns available. The paper shroud will probably have to be made using a shroud pattern program. I think there is a link posted on the clone page. Great gain though...
Old 09-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Rocket Huckster

Very interesting looking kit. Did anyone check if Semroc has it on there master parts page?
Low Prices, Fast Delivery. The Webs #1 Rocket Shop

YORF the rocketry forum where vendors can actually post in the vendors section.

TRF Banned and proud

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack

Any Questions/Comments Click To Email Us
Old 09-22-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Actually the stuff in the photo arrived by priority mail - today I also received a 71 Centuri catalog by media mail.

Got them confused in the post - my apologies. Post now edited to reflect correct shipping.

hee hee, ok, that's better.

I HAVE recieved items via 'media mail' tht should not havce been sent, such as model kits, etc.. post office warned me there could be fines involved and I *should* refuse them and return to sender.

would be real bad if a non-media item was shipped erroneously AND openned to find motors ...oops ..

no biggie, I always look for engines in ebay listings as well, and bid quickly before they get pulled, lol..

~AL
Old 09-22-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Well Bill.....I don't know what to say since it seems at least two other forum guys (me being one ) were also bidding on this kit. I think Scott has instructions and a set of decals. Please make the patterns available. The paper shroud will probably have to be made using a shroud pattern program. I think there is a link posted on the clone page. Great gain though...

yep, bid on that one myself, iirc

we need a 'forum list' of bidders so we can let each other have stuff cheap, lol ....

( I try to not bid against forum / list members I recognize, but all's fair in love and rtockets

~ AL
Old 09-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Master Modeler

Scan of Egg Crate fins attached - when you print, be sure to turn off scaling. Root edge should be 3" in length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Egg_Crate_fins.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  149.3 KB  
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 09-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Scan of Egg Crate fins attached - when you print, be sure to turn off scaling. Root edge should be 3" in length.

Since I don't like RockSim I drew it up in Illustrator. Here is a PDF of the fins, make two sets

I'll also attach a CorelDraw! file which Carl can easily cut on his laser cutter. Since the forum won't let me upload a .cdr file I zipped it up.

BTW the root isn't *exactly* 3" per your scan. Should it be adjusted?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf egg crate fins.pdf (13.4 KB, 139 views)
File Type: zip egg crate fins.zip (15.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 09-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtschachner
BTW the root isn't *exactly* 3" per your scan. Should it be adjusted?

You are correct - a more precise measurement is 77.0 mm = 3.03".

Anybody got a suggestion on how to gen up the decal? You can get an idea from here and the colors by looking at the yellow and black rocket near the top left here.

Thanks, Kurt!
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet