Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Master Modeler

Default Pics, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
I just found this thread... very nice!! I recently purchased a handlful of early 1970's built rockets, and it included an almost finished, slightly battered Centuri V2. Complete with plastic NC. The models are all built rather well, and I plan on restoring the V2, and finishing it with some of my decals. (paint job and parachute are all that are required).

My camera has dead batteries, but I promise I will take pics before I begin restoration.

Phred

Great to hear that, Phred! Please do get some pics on that V-2 restoration. It's really a
pretty good size model for a scale V-2.

Hopefully, this weekend I may have the chance to test fly my cloned V-2. Need to do so
before I give it a shot at NSL - 2006 later this month at McGregor, TX. Are you going to
be there? Also, the decals for the 1/35 scaled Centuri Mercury Redstone (see the last pic
in my posting before yours) came in yesterday from Tango Papa Decals...excellent work!
Will be applying the decals either late tomorrow night or early Saturday morning (need to
do it when everyone is asleep so I get NO distractions). Maybe even the MR will get a test
flight, too.

Stay tuned...
Old 05-05-2006, 05:53 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
I just found this thread... very nice!! I recently purchased a handlful of early 1970's built rockets, and it included an almost finished, slightly battered Centuri V2. Complete with plastic NC. The models are all built rather well, and I plan on restoring the V2, and finishing it with some of my decals. (paint job and parachute are all that are required).

My camera has dead batteries, but I promise I will take pics before I begin restoration.

Phred

Phred

I saw that lot, the one witht he unbuild, mip farside-X

You lucky dog, you

I was bidding on alot of builtups myself last week , with a Big Red Max, EAC Viper, etc.. was very bummed I missed the end of it,and was outbid... hopefully someone on here got it and it's in good hands. not a username I recognized.
( maybe we need a llist of forum members ebay user names, so ppl can avoid outbidding each other, the GI Joe list I'm on had such a list before they gota few 1000 members... saved ppl from beating each other up over 'common items' ( but when it was a rare piece,all bets were off .

have fun with your goodies !!!

~ AL
Old 05-05-2006, 08:45 PM
GET GOONY!!

Al,

Yes, I bought that lot. I really wanted the motors and built rockets, and planned on selling the kits, so I bid high... once I received them, I found that all three kits were not only open, but the Streak and Farside X are partially assembled, In fact, all the Farside needs are for the fins to be attached. Basically, I paid too much...

Anyway, All the motors are dated 1971, and the kit cards are all from the ESTES/Damon bridge period of 1971-72. The paperwork included the plans and instructions for a Gemini Titan, and a Mini Brute three pack! Unfortunately, only the Mosquito survived.....

Oh well, you win some and lose some.

But, I do have a real liking for old, built up rockets. Especially 'kid built' ALPHAs, with upside down fins and kid paint jobs.....

I was at a family party tonight and will be at a car show all day tomorrow, so I will not get any pics until at least sunday....

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Al,

Yes, I bought that lot. I really wanted the motors and built rockets, and planned on selling the kits, so I bid high... once I received them, I found that all three kits were not only open, but the Streak and Farside X are partially assembled, In fact, all the Farside needs are for the fins to be attached. Basically, I paid too much...

Anyway, All the motors are dated 1971, and the kit cards are all from the ESTES/Damon bridge period of 1971-72. The paperwork included the plans and instructions for a Gemini Titan, and a Mini Brute three pack! Unfortunately, only the Mosquito survived.....

Oh well, you win some and lose some.

But, I do have a real liking for old, built up rockets. Especially 'kid built' ALPHAs, with upside down fins and kid paint jobs.....

I was at a family party tonight and will be at a car show all day tomorrow, so I will not get any pics until at least sunday....

Phred

Bummer about the condition, too bad sellers have to mislead buyers to make a sale

Looked like a nice lot actually, if it would have gone lower, I;d have bid myself, for the Farside X, but then when it was opened, too bad....

Should make for some nice birds though, and if the engines were any good ... I know the paperwork alone would resell for a good buck, especially the farside X, since it's considered 'rare' . lol .

Ah well, will keep poking around from time to time, seen some good lots of built-ups but never seem to win any ... my time will come .

~ AL
Old 05-06-2006, 08:51 PM
GET GOONY!!

Well... The seller is not a rocket person, and I frankly did not ask enough questions. I know better.....

Henway.... here is a pic of the original Centuri V2. (Now that I took the pic, I can start restoration!!)

Ph

GET GOONY!!
Old 05-06-2006, 08:57 PM
GET GOONY!!

Ummm.. let's try that again....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  V2_Centurissm.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  286.8 KB  

GET GOONY!!
Old 05-06-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Ummm.. let's try that again....

Looks quite well done from theic , is it just deteriorated, or never finished ?

SHould build up nice - you going to restore / finsih the others as well ( like the Farside X, be sort-of a shame to buildup the rare kit, since it's easily cloned, but if it's half built...

~ AL
Old 05-06-2006, 09:46 PM
GET GOONY!!

It was never finished. It appears to be sealed, with a coat of white paint. One fin has a 1/4" bite out of it visible in the pic. Also, there are cracks in the finish here and there I put down to heat cycling. I will sand it down, fill the bite, and then repaint/restore the model.

Ph

GET GOONY!!
Old 05-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Master Modeler

Default First Test Flight Today @ Rushing Park, Katy, TX

Got the first test flight up today at Rushing Park, Katy, TX. A pretty nice flight on a B6-4, flew straight up with a slight, spinning motion that gave excellent stability. Returned in
great shape on an 18" chute. Also flew the Centuri 1/35 scaled Mercury Redstone and Estes
Blue Ninja. Took lots of pics & hope to have them posted by mid-week.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Master Modeler

Default Launch Pics On These Links

Here's the links to the V-2 launch at the Challenger 498 club launch at Rushing Park, Katy,
TX on May 7, 2006:

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/FH000010

http://www.challenger498.org/galler...100B1970?full=1

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/FH000015

The first and third photo have captions; the second does not (but shows the ignition) and
was taken by Jesse Tavares, President of the Challenger 498 Section.