Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Retired Missile Technician

I did not notice that the fin plans were not included. I will have to dig out the book and see if the other plans have them. I built mine way back when out of the Model Rocketry News. I will brave the cob webs to see if I still have the issue.

Chas
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

I found another place that has the plans. Don't know if they are any better or not.

Kit 55
Old 01-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Thanks for the link! I was telling rocketpunch that I still have the nose cone from my original build back around 1970. Do not remember what happened, but there must have been a separation and the model was not worth rebuilding.

Chas
Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks for the link mycrofte. That's quite a find. Now all I have to do, is gather up all the parts and start building! I am planning on making custom decals for the Excalibur in Adobe Illustrator. That was one of the reasons I wanted to get a better copy of the plan than the one posted on Jim Z's site. I want the decal scheme to be similar to the illustration on the plan. With the Jim Z plan I wasn't able to make out the artwork on the tail. It was just a smudgey blob. Now I can see it's a rocket type graphic.

Still would love to get my hands on an original copy of the plans though. I missed that ebay auction by 25¢ Doh!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Master Modeler

Order shipped from Semroc this AM....including parts I need for this
Old 01-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Bec, could you post what parts you ordered from Semroc?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpunch
I am planning on making custom decals for the Excalibur in Adobe Illustrator. That was one of the reasons I wanted to get a better copy of the plan than the one posted on Jim Z's site. I want the decal scheme to be similar to the illustration on the plan. With the Jim Z plan I wasn't able to make out the artwork on the tail. It was just a smudgey blob. Now I can see it's a rocket type graphic.

It would be great if you could post your artwork, in Illustrator format if possible. I wouldn't mind putting one of those together as well.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

No problem posting my artwork. I just got to make it first I need to get the parts and build the kit first so I can get proper sizing, etc. So, it may take a while, but I'll definitely post my artwork and be open to feedback.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpunch
Bec, could you post what parts you ordered from Semroc?

Thanks!

What I ordered specifically for this are the main body tube (BT-55V), a full-length BT-5, all of the necessary nose cones - a BNC-55F, three BNC-5W, five BNC-5E, and a long WD-12 dowel. I have balsa, launch lugs and recovery system stuff on hand. I also ordered (well, already had planned to order) some RA-2055 rings and some JT-55Cs from which to make an engine mount. I have the BT-20 and engine hooks on hand.

I will set it up with a Semroc BT-55 baffle and kevlar shock cord attach and probably use a smaller-than-24-inch parachute. I have materials to make a mylar one of any size I want on hand.

For my contribution to this, here's the pattern sheet in .pdf form, converted from the TIFF file on the JimZ site, so now it's all in this thread. I just did a "no scaling" test print and based on the length of the BT-55 marking guide, the parts look to be the right size.

It's nice to have fancy software at work sometimes...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Excalibur_patterns.pdf (19.9 KB, 175 views)
Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Master Modeler

I have an original copy of the plans that I got from Estes.

When I got them, the fin patterns were printed on the same cardstock that was used in the kits produced at that time and by some mistake, two sets of the patterns were included.

So I have a set of the patterns uncut and I can take any measurements off them if you want .
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member