Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default Warlock with primer

Well, I've been working on this probably longer than I should have but I've finally got it to a point where I can put primer on it. Using a BT-60 nose cone from a Tangent until I can get my custom nose cone from BMS (getting two....one for a Canaroc Maxi-Challenger clone ). Actually shaped the cockpit nose cone myself (beginners luck ). Some test glides of the Strike Vehicle shows that I'm going to need very little trimming. Will see again after all the painting is done.

Arley, the parts you supplied were great. After working with the originals on the Scorpion, it was such a breeze to use the ones you made for me. I opted to use a balsa nose cone because it fit better than the original. Thanks again.

Don
NAR 53455
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0139.JPG
Views: 111
Size:  366.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0140.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  381.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0141.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  340.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0142.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  279.5 KB  
Old 10-16-2005, 07:34 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Don,

looks like real nice work to me.

quite complicated, good winter project (like any of us need more, lol )

look forward to seeing it finished.

~ AL
Old 10-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon

...... good winter project (like any of us need more, lol )

Winter projects....LOL

Trying to get my projects painted before winter.....Maybe that's why everything is taking me so long...too many irons in the fire. Working an original Canaroc Challenger (just got base coat on today) as well as a clone of the Canaroc Orbitron and Estes mini brutes ....Mini-Bertha, Javlin, Super Flea and Screamer . Half the decals are on my clone Canaroc Antares (great decals from Excelsior....thanks again Phred). I think the rest will have to wait for winter.....And still need to decal my cloned Cherokee D (again, decals from Excelsior). And then theres flying.....All these great weekends we're having here and my wife wants me to drive her around to look at the trees ! Wanted to test my new launch system (wired for 12V rechargable battery for RCs) and all I could do was burn an igniter in the living room . Well, at least she doesn't get upset when I stop at a hobby shop . Darn.....winter projects can be another string... .

Don
NAR 53455
Old 10-16-2005, 08:05 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

>Winter projects....LOL

>Trying to get my projects painted before winter....

lol, same here, have about 10 or so in primer,half painted, various degrees of finishing, can paint a little in between rain - but humidity and cheap paint doesn't mix well either :-(

> Canaroc Orbitron

are the plans,etc for that posted someplace ? , unless I'm thinking the wrong kit - is that the long rocket with transition and sort of trapezoid fins ?

>And then theres flying.....All these great weekends we're having here and my wife wants >me to drive her around to look at the trees !

hmm. ok, now I'm gonna cry a lot, * sob * .. trade you some rain for a nice weekend ?

> Well, at least she doesn't get upset when I stop at a hobby shop .

lol, opposite of here, mine is ok with all the halfbuilt kits all over the living room, ( and me building while watching the Yankees choke..err.. the ballgames), but hates going to, or waiting at hobby shops .

>Darn.....winter projects can be another string... .

ok, string started

~ AL
Old 10-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon

> Canaroc Orbitron

are the plans,etc for that posted someplace ? , unless I'm thinking the wrong kit - is that the long rocket with transition and sort of trapezoid fins ?

You are thinking the right kit and no, plans aren't posted anywhere (at least that I know of). Trying to do it by scaling off a picture. My best guess at measurements......

16" BT-60 with transition to 20" BT-50 (it may be 16.5 and 19.5 but some of the longer BT-60s for kits that I have instructions for are 16"). I'm using a BNC-50Y sanded down to closely resemble the actual nose cone. Standard D (might go with the E) engine mount to BT-60. Two of the four fins appear to have dowels offset from them (those are going to be the hardest thing about the clone) with BT-20 tubes mounted on the ends. I've worked up a template for mounting the dowels but haven't got that far in the construction yet (you know, all those other irons).

Phred (Excelsior) put out a parts list for cloning the kit (I think it might be in the plans section). The only thing I changed was the lengths of the BTs. Looking at the picture, the upper BT-50 looks longer than the lower BT-60. And I'm using 1/8" balsa. Eventually, hope to get Phred to make up some checkerboard decals for it. I've got an extra one for the BT-50 but will need a couple for the BT-20s on the fins.

Guess I could but this on your winter projects thread.....

Don
NAR 53455
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SMI_ProductSheet.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  69.1 KB  
Old 10-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Master Modeler

Default Flight Day

Well, after spending most of yesterday trimming out the strike vehicle, I took the Warlock to the field for a flight. Also took my cloned Estes Javlin. Can't say much about either flight .

First sent the Javlin up on a 1/2A3-4.....but there couldn't have been a delay charge.....as soon as thrust stopped, streamer came out.....acted like a booster motor .

The Warlock, well it never got stable. I don't know if the rocket is too much weight for a D12-3 or the position of the motor makes it inheriantly unstable . Going to the post office tomorrow to see how much it actually weighs. Not too much damage to the booster. The strike vehicle took much of the hit. On the ground when the ejection charge went. Luckly never got more than 25' high. Landed nose first and shoved the strike vehicle down onto the strike vehicle mount (the resulting slots, like zippers, can probably be fixed without too much trouble). However, the strike vehicle nosecone collapsed the body tube. And the nosecone itself has been shaved thinner by the body tube. Guess I've got another winter project .

Don
NAR 53455
Old 10-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Well, after spending most of yesterday trimming out the strike vehicle, I took the Warlock to the field for a flight. Also took my cloned Estes Javlin. Can't say much about either flight .

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the mishap with the Warlock.

On another note. Has anyone heard from Arley lately?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout

On another note. Has anyone heard from Arley lately?

Last I heard from him, he was moving and didn't know when he'd have internet access again.

Don
NAR 53455
Old 11-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

Unhappy

Hi everyone I am back on line after being off for 2 weeks, Because of money troubles I lost my home and am now living in a small, I mean very small apartment with my 5 year old Grandson Jacob.

And sadly no place to built rockets. Or paint them, but before I lost my house I finished the Paint job on my Warlock, So now all I have to do is place the decals on the rocket.

This might take some time for I am still unpacking and Christmas is coming up. I am also sad to here that Barone’s Warlock crashed I was also woried that the D motor was not enough motor for the rocket. I know that there is an Aerotech E motor that is the same size as a Estes D. My rocket is for display only, for it looks so cool to risk damage flying the rocket.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Master Modeler

Arley.... Can I get another set of parts for the Warlock? Decided to redo the crashed one and set it for display but want to build another for flying. Thinking of putting the motor in the conventional location and using ducted venting to deploy the strike vehicle. Thanks.

Don
NAR 53455