Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Random Part-Time Hobbyist

Default How is your Saturn Progressing?

Now that we are down to the last week, how is everyone's project coming along?

I got my fins glued on yesterday and everything is now painted white. In a few days I will mask and then paint the black. The instructions recommend hand painting the black but I am going to try spraying instead.

A good portion of the small detail parts are built but not quite finished. I will hand paint them and install them after the black paint is done.

My hat's off to those of you who are building multiple Saturns.

I see light at the end of the tunnel, but it is still a very long tunnel!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Aaaaaahhhhhhh! Indeed, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Base coat of white on everything. Capsule built. Will be building the trim details while I wait for the paint to dry sufficently before painting the black. I left the fins off and will paint those seperate from the body and apply as if they were details (even put the decals on before attaching to the body). I think it will just be easier that way.

Yeah, those guys building multiple models.....glutton for punishment
Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Master Modeler

Started on the sanding/sealing. After the painting is done, the decals will be applied and the
final details of the Service Module will be last. Should be done by this coming weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  LAUNCH - SEMROC SA-205 Saturn 1-B Project 013.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  57.4 KB  
Old 09-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Random Part-Time Hobbyist

Don.... I had considered painting the fins before assembly like you are doing. It came down to a coin toss, but I finally decided to paint after assembly.

Dave... Yours is coming along nicely. What's the smaller one in the background?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Finished mine yesterday down to the last decal. Just need to shoot a few coats of clear on it tonight if the weather holds and I'm all set.

Just to take the heat off Don, I have another one lurking in the shadows that showed up Saturday. That one is not as far along as most its cousins--just treated all the tubes and cut out the various fin skins, shrouds, do-dads etc. last night. Tonight I'll build the fins and build the lower fluted shroud assembly and get the fuel tubes painted. Heck or high water, it will be finish painted this coming weekend and ready to ship early next week.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I glued on the fins yesterday, and I'm doing some final detailing work on them tonight. The fin area will need a final coat of primer to check for any imperfections (man, I hope I don't find any...).

I'm hoping to get the gloss white coat on tonight.

I still need to make some of the small detail parts, which I'll work on while the paint is drying.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Rocketry is Fun.... Darn It !

Ive got all the details done, ( not attached ) and everthing is ready to be assembled. I am still wrestling with the fins also. I prefer to paint the tank tubes ahead of time, however masking the shroud after attaching it is a difficult task. I actually was able to finish the entire lower section of the model from the shroud down on the Apogee version which was easier then the first time I built the Semroc one with the assemblies glued together then masking them.

Jim
Old 09-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Master Modeler

Mine should start going together today. I've had to make a few "special" parts ...

Mario
Old 09-29-2008, 12:11 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Mine is about ready for a coat of primer, which being white will likely double as the base color. Still needs a few detail parts added, but those go on today and tomorrow. Like Mario, I had to make a few "special parts" to speed things up, and to give it some additional detail.

Fins will get primed and painted before attaching to the skirt.

The skirt shroud gave me all kinds of fits, which not one actually did correctly... Fit, that is... I burned through about three or four, one the original, and the others copies made from the Estes kit sheet scans.

The wraps on the S-IV-B went on easily using 3M-90 spray adhesive. I applied it only to the back of each wrap and carefully worked them onto the tube. Once they were in place, I sealed the edges with thin CA. The #3 wrap had a small gap to be filled, and I used BONDO spot putty for this. The #4 wrap, although the corrugations all lined up with #3, was still shorter and has a wide gap. May try a small thin (0.01" sheet plastic) filler to fix this.

The capsule went together easily enough, but I did have some "oh noooo" moments attaching the nozzle base to the top of the spider legs. Finally worked it out. Tenax-7R is the only way to go with this kit.

If all goes well from here, I should have the clear coats going on Friday.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Red River Rocketry

All our fins are on, and mostof the fiddly-bits are too (can I say that in public?)

We've had a number of issues with painting - If we had it all to do over again, we would NOT paint the 4 tubes black first. Jack has been incredible during the build - not only has he let us invade his house for 5 weekends, but h's done a phenominal job working on the 10 models during the week. It's going to be tough getting the kits complete by 10/7, but I'm optimistic. We're only panicing a little bit

Fiddly-bit - Noun: Parts that would look better on a fiddle than on a rocket

John