Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Old BAR

Default Enerjet Athena Plans

Hi, Folks,
Does anyone know where I might find plans for an Enerjet Athena? I've looked here, but they are not there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One just sold on Ebay for an astronomical amount of money :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=130241998222

I have no intention of spending that much cash, but would sure like to build one. It looks a lot like Centuri's Orion.

Allen
Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Master Modeler

Astronomical? Really? I thought it was pretty cheap considering how rare that kit is. I didn't even bid on it because I thought it would go over $400.

The fact that you can't find a complete set of instructions is evidence of how scarce Athena kits are.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:02 PM
rocket dinosaur

Jimz has some partial plans:

http://www.dars.org/jimz/ke-5.htm

ghrocketman has a clone in the making, perhasp you could conatct him for more data:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ighlight=athena

terry dean
Old 08-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Astronomical? Really? I thought it was pretty cheap considering how rare that kit is. I didn't even bid on it because I thought it would go over $400.

The fact that you can't find a complete set of instructions is evidence of how scarce Athena kits are.

You are right, of course! Cost is a relative thing, indeed. Since I never owned an original, cloning one will be my shot at having one. I do have an extra set of Orion vacuum-forms....hmmmm

Thanks, Terry, for the links. That helps me a lot! It really is Orion's 'big sister,' to quote one of the old posts here you gave me. I'll get in contact with ghrocketman.

Allen
Old 08-03-2008, 10:57 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The bagged Enerjet Athena that JUST sold on ebay for $272 was a bargain seeing as the boxed one that was on ebay earlier this year sold for just under $500 !!!

The only parts that are difficult to obtain for the build are the wraps, which are made from 1/100 scale Centuri/Estes Saturn 1B wraps.

With those wraps, you cut them to fit the Athena clone; the kit came with the wraps correctly trimmed.

I cloned mine using the dimensions out of the '72 Enerjet Catalog along with a copy of the Athena instructions.

I have the decals on mine now, but some of the striping has yet to be done.
I'd say it is 90% complete, and it has flown several times.
I can't recall all the engines I have used in it, but I know it has went up on an Estes SU BP D12-3, an Aerotech RMS24 D15-4T, and an Aerotech RMS24 E28T.
I don't think it has went up on anything in the "F" class yet and seem to recall I loaded an RMS24 F24-7W for it but used the reload in my Enerjet AeroDart instead.

I actually have an Enerjet "working smoke" Nike-Smoke in the bag awaiting build.
About 2-3 years ago I paid like $80 for the opened-but-complete kit on ebay with intent of building it but have not done so. I may be one of the last people that actually intends to BUILD an Enerjet kit instead of hoarding it.
All of the collectible kits that I have bought I intend to build, much to the chagrin of collectors. I really enjoy cloning, but there just is something magical about building the vintage originals that motivates me to do my best....in fact building original kits is about the ONLY time I fill in tube-spirals.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Old BAR

Thanks, GH!
What fin thickness did you use? What size tubes did you use for the 4 smaller 'booster' tubes? Nose cones? I'll use Semroc to get whatever I do not already have. I have the pieces necessary to make an Orion already; I ended up buying a kit from Jim Neubauer when he had them kitted up. Do you have a fin pattern you think is reasonably accurate? I could wing it if necessary, doing the overall measurements as you did, looking at the drawing from the catalogue as a guide and JimZ's posted instructions (can't get that last page to print, however).
I sure do appreciate your help!
Allen
Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Pickin' and launching.

I believe SEMROC already has the fins available laser cut. Search the laser cut balsa page under Athena. I don't think they include the 4 pod standoffs, which, I believe, are the same as for the Orion. Pod tubes are 3" long series 7 (ST-730) with 1" long conical balsa cones (BC-710). The lower body tube is series 16, 18 inches long (ST-16180). The upper tube is series 20, 9.8 inches long (ST-2098). It uses a balsa adaptor 16 to 20, 1.5 inches long (BR-1620). Add a Orion shaped balsa cone (BC-2032) and you almost have it all. The lug was glued on the larger 20 series tube with another one glued in alignment on one fin. Just add a 24mm, or larger, engine mount, wraps and decals. Hope this helps.
NAR #28062, ROCI Section #625
http://www.newwayspacemodels.com
http://www.indyrockets.org
NewWay Space Models-We Cornered Model Rocketry
Old 08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Semroc laser cut the fins for me before they actually calalogued them.
I have another two Athena clone kits in boxes for future builds; they are 1/8" thick and are the same exact pattern as the Semroc/Centuri Centurion but in 1/8" instead of 3/32".
The Athena pods are NOT on standoffs; they mount directly to the main tube.

See step #13 in attachment below.

A 29mm mount is "stock" on the original Athena as well as in ALL original Enerjet kits.

Click on the following link below to Semroc's page on the Athena to order all the correct parts.

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...arts.asp?ID=561

The nose and transition adapter on the original were plastic, the Semroc parts list substitutes balsa parts. Moldin Oldies used to make the original nose cones with panel lines but they have since went out of business.
Attached Files
File Type: tif athenapod.tif (149.7 KB, 247 views)

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !

Last edited by ghrocketman : 08-04-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:42 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The nose and transition adapter on the original were plastic, the Semroc parts list substitutes balsa parts. Moldin Oldies used to make the original nose cones with panel lines but they have since went out of business.

Still waiting on word from Sirius Rocketry about old Moldin Oldies parts. They were planning on re-introducing them this year, but the web site has only one mention of it, pointing to an empty page
Old 08-04-2008, 04:35 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Still waiting on word from Sirius Rocketry about old Moldin Oldies parts. They were planning on re-introducing them this year, but the web site has only one mention of it, pointing to an empty page

Amazing! Moldin' Oldies is who sold me the plastic pieces for the Orion I was going to build; I just never got any further than gathering the necessary parts together. You know, now that I remember, I ordered the balsa parts from Semroc (just the NC's). Later. I read somewhere about Moldin' Oldies' pieces and ordered up another set of NC's for this Orion and some Interceptor pods, NC, and tail cone. He is a very nice guy, as I remember; great service.
Anyway, I had no idea Semroc had such luxury as laser-cut fins for an Athena.
Sheesh! I could have saved you folks all this trouble and just called Carl! I'll need the transition and the tubing, for sure. Might need the little NC's, as well. Mounting the boosters to the main BT directly is also nice to know. That'll make it easy!
You reckon Phred does these decals, too?
I sure do appreciate all your help. So will Carl!
Allen