Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2005, 04:43 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I have (3) G55-10W motors saved in my rangebox from a few years ago for it's final flight. Final because I know I'll probably never see it again.

Last time I tired to ignite a cluster of (3) G55-10's in a 2650 clone I only got two to ignite using thermalite. It did prove the one motor inert stability claim to be true by flying on only two motors. That was before Quickburst was around so I may try some twiggys if I can fit them in the slot.

I'll probably do a few more black powder clusters since I have a few packs of D12's and E9's left.

G55 sound nice :-)

my 2250 has yet to fly, but my USR 2650 hi -test was lost as in above post ( this thread).

I have a 3 cluster (loose clone of the old ACE Eagle,using vintage CD and AAA parts), that I;ve hammered on for years (2.65" dia,3 x 24mm,looks like a LOC Viper 3) - best flight was a trio of F101-10 blue thunder motors at NARAM 37 (think it was 37,Geneseo,NY).
lit em all and bye - bye.... broken shock cord due to -10 delays (figured it would slow down fast after burnout, nope ) .
nosecone and chute lost, but booster section recovered with no damage :-)
later flight on 3 G110-15 at a MARS (geneseo) launch was really not as awesome as the F101's.. like it did not light as hard, or the G110's being newer releases are 'detuned' ... hard to say , I know the F101 is a Bates grain motor - not sure on the G110.

you note 'slots' for the G55, so are they C-slots ? ( would make me wonder about the G110, then, could be a blue thuinder C-slot ?).

I always fly mine on three thermalite " wire wrap " igniters, make up 5-6 igniters, then check em with my dvm and the closest three go in - with a good relay system and 12 volts - no problems,we've lit 7 with wirewraps, and I saw Will Safford do 12 (course the master blaster launcher by john Sicker = cheating, lol... capacitor discharge relay system that will light dirt :-)

good luck with the G55's, should be an awesome ( high ! ) flight :-)

~ AL
Old 10-31-2005, 05:28 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
G55 sound nice :-)

my 2250 has yet to fly, but my USR 2650 hi -test was lost as in above post ( this thread).

I have a 3 cluster (loose clone of the old ACE Eagle,using vintage CD and AAA parts), that I;ve hammered on for years (2.65" dia,3 x 24mm,looks like a LOC Viper 3) - best flight was a trio of F101-10 blue thunder motors at NARAM 37 (think it was 37,Geneseo,NY).
lit em all and bye - bye.... broken shock cord due to -10 delays (figured it would slow down fast after burnout, nope ) .
nosecone and chute lost, but booster section recovered with no damage :-)
later flight on 3 G110-15 at a MARS (geneseo) launch was really not as awesome as the F101's.. like it did not light as hard, or the G110's being newer releases are 'detuned' ... hard to say , I know the F101 is a Bates grain motor - not sure on the G110.

you note 'slots' for the G55, so are they C-slots ? ( would make me wonder about the G110, then, could be a blue thuinder C-slot ?).

I always fly mine on three thermalite " wire wrap " igniters, make up 5-6 igniters, then check em with my dvm and the closest three go in - with a good relay system and 12 volts - no problems,we've lit 7 with wirewraps, and I saw Will Safford do 12 (course the master blaster launcher by john Sicker = cheating, lol... capacitor discharge relay system that will light dirt :-)

good luck with the G55's, should be an awesome ( high ! ) flight :-)

~ AL

I remember some of the old Ace kits, but not the Eagle in particular- but it does sound like you "hammered" it pretty good with those motor selections

Couldn't find anything on the G110's but these three G55-10W that I have are c-slots. All three were still factory sealed but I finally opened one up today and had a look. If you look inside the nozzle you can see the c-slot off to the side and I ran the supplied copperhead up into it about 6" before it stopped at the head end. These three motors have the old AeroTech Non-Std Class C "G" motor instructions sheet ©1993 and these have been in the box since LDRS XIII in 1994. I thought the sheet was cool because it had a bunch of the old motor types listed with the performance data and curves so I scanned it and posted it here. The latest revision is from 8/12/04 on the AeroTech site and neither sheet has a diagram showing the G55 special igniter installation, but it is the same as the G25 and I found the fact that the G55 wasn't shown in the diagrams a bit odd.

I don't have any Thermalite left to make up igniters with but I found that the Quickburst "Twiggys" do slide in easily so I'll probably use those. I may see if I can use a very small flexible brass bristle gun brush that I can run up inside the slot once or twice to be sure a layer of oxidation hasn't formed in the slot. I haven't had very good luck igniting the G55's in clusters. I found and posted an image below of a 2650 I launched here in the Bonne Carre Spillway back in 1995 and I only had two out of three G55's ignite. That time I used the pink (slow) Thermalite enclosed in teflon tubing. I think Performance Hobbies still sells it I just haven't used it in a while.

If you have another preferred ignition method for this type of cluster let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  {Non-Std Class C} G Motor Instructions.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  345.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Full Scale Enerjet Uprated 2650 Sounding Rocket_3 G55-10W 1995.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  189.6 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 10-31-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 AM
The_Ripper

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 11-01-2005 at 07:04 AM.