Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonzero2
I agree with this logic! Makes perfect sense and the most do able.

I think the rocket community (here) should make this an effort to make it a reality, it seems the Smithsonian is dragging their feet......so sad !!

At the rate where going, we'll be celebrating the 75 anniversary and 3/4 of us won't be here to celebrate it.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Perhaps NARTS could publish/sell Craddock's book.

I expect the 'donation' required to establish a hobby rocketry display will be somewhat pricey. However, the hobby has pulled together on the BATFE lawsuit so, maybe, we could do it, again, for a display.

I see the display as being a freestanding, four-side glass case that could be moved around as larger display areas are changed. Say 3-4 feet wide and 4-6 feet high.

The display could feature one side for the early days of the hobby (Carlisle, Stine, MMI, Estes, Centuri), a side for the hobby's peak during the late 60s-early 70s (Cineroc, Enerjet, Saturn models), the present (Oracle, Flis, etc.) and HPR.

All models displayed (Except for already built historical ones) would need to be built to high standards of assembly and finish, i.e., catalog models. The models should be 'overbuilt' to withstand moving and exposure.

Bob
Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 PM

If a current manufacturer makes a $$$ donation for the display, will this guarantee them space in the display for their product?

What if an 'older' manufacturer does not want to $$$ donate to the display? Does that mean none of their products, even if there is important historical value, will not be displayed?

I think the NAR should handle the decision on what/how the display is set up. The NAR could form a "Historical Committee" made up of 5-7 NAR members with background/experience/education related to the hobby. They could establish a historical timeline of the hobby and document important aspects. The maintanence of the Smithsonian display would be one of their responsibilites. The display could be partially changed every few years to keep it fresh and interesting.

Bob
Old 10-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
If a current manufacturer makes a $$$ donation for the display, will this guarantee them space in the display for their product?

What if an 'older' manufacturer does not want to $$$ donate to the display? Does that mean none of their products, even if there is important historical value, will not be displayed?

I think the NAR should handle the decision on what/how the display is set up. The NAR could form a "Historical Committee" made up of 5-7 NAR members with background/experience/education related to the hobby. They could establish a historical timeline of the hobby and document important aspects. The maintanence of the Smithsonian display would be one of their responsibilites. The display could be partially changed every few years to keep it fresh and interesting.

Bob

I bet one manufacturer won't participate !!!!
If it's going to be the history of model rocketry, ALL, manufacturers should be represented.

One way of telling who participated with cash donations would be a plaque showing who donated.

I stll think that my idea of the museum would be better, since the Smithsonian, by their actions are dragging their feet, and, I'm sure money could be found for such a display.

Is there any carpenter's out there willing to donate some time? If we all got together on this, it could be done.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Master Modeler

I have another idea, what do you think about MINI rocket displays around the country?

Such displays could be held at all of the NASA centers, Smithsonian, Space Camp and the like.

These display would then expose more current and potential rocketeers to the hobby. Also, lets say there are 10 mini displays, they could be rotated around to each of the 10 sites. lets say every six months so that the displays will constantly be changing.

What's your thought about this?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:45 PM

Bill Stine tried to set up a Museum of Model Rocketry 7-8 years, ago.

He could not get it going. The last I heard he was thinking of setting it up in conjunction with one of the Challenger Centers.

Since then, I believe Bill has given up on it. The small display at the Seattle Museum of Flight appears to be as far as he was able to get.

It would be much easier and less expensive to have a display as part of an already established museum.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MR Museum Logo.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  36.1 KB  
Old 10-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
All models displayed (Except for already built historical ones) would need to be built to high standards of assembly and finish, i.e., catalog models. The models should be 'overbuilt' to withstand moving and exposure.

Bob

Although that's certainly the showiest option, it doesn't represent what 99% of rocketeers flew. Heck, I knew a number of kids that thought that painting was overkill -- they just wanted to build and fly!

-Tim
Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Master Modeler

Well, one thing that is a problem at the Smithsonian and most museums is that less than 5% of held items are on display at any one time. Check out this article:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/...storyId=1414460

I know that Bob has tried to get more visibility of MR items at the museum but it has not been approved.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Craftsman

Quote:

He could not get it going. The last I heard he was thinking of setting it up in conjunction with one of the Challenger Centers.

Since then, I believe Bill has given up on it. The small display at the Seattle Museum of Flight appears to be as far as he was able to get.

It would be much easier and less expensive to have a display as part of an already established museum.

Bob

Wait a minute, there is a Model Rocket museum down in New Mexico, and no its not the 'rocket patch' outdoors at the White Sands range. I believe its a public permanent display and has many of G. Harry's models that were donated. The location is the New Mexico space museum.

I would rather visit here: http://www.nmspacemuseum.org/ for model rocketry and rockety in general. The NASM is just too big and would take a week to go through and see everything properly.

Robert
Old 10-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Craftsman

Quote:

Bob

I called and have spoken to people at the Challenger Center; they know nothing about any model rocket display or Bill Stine or Bob Craddock (Bob was supposed to have gone through G. Harry's collection with Bill at the Center...). They did know about hosting NARAM 48 activities and the like.

I donated kits to Bill... I guess I wont get those back; never again. I will only donate too myself, then display them in my office :/

That display at SMoF is nothing, and it pains me to see that. My collection will most likely be donated to the Museum of Science and Industry in Los Angeles CA. I should out live my wife, and I don't know of anyone I would personally trust or who would appreciate and understand the collection. Too many people are just interested in, 'wow this is worth $300 and that over there, well I wouldn't take ANYTHING less that $750 for that!'. I have come to realize that I am one of the few who collect for the 'love of rockets' and not the 'love of money'.

Robert