Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2019, 09:51 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Scott-
Would like to have a pic of that starter set, if possible.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Here it is: http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...t=Saturn+flying

I forgot about the non-flying version myself when thinking about the various Estes Staturn V kits...and the above referenced thread was one I started over six years ago!

Where's my cane....?

Earl

I really enjoyed going back and reading that thread again. It's amazing what we forget, and remember from only 6 years ago.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:54 AM
Dazed and Confused

The May 30, 1969 issue of The Launch Pad notes that Bill Lee's (K-36 designer) birthday is June 3. Yet another reason to launch your Saturns this spring and summer!
Old 02-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Sometimes collector

I concentrated on the flying versions since the non flying version is linked in the thread. I updated the first post and plan to add box pictures later, please post pictures if you have good ones, Especially a pre-Damon K-36. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2019, 06:46 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

I've got a 1236 kit, still in the shrink wrap (Damon, unfortunately) - I had a pre-Damon K-36 kit but I sold it to another collector years ago.
I also have one of the 2157 limited edition that they sold at NARAM 52 (number 16 of 50), autographed by Vern Estes and Mike Dorffler (shortly before Mike died).

PM me if you want photos.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:21 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
I've got a 1236 kit, still in the shrink wrap (Damon, unfortunately) - I had a pre-Damon K-36 kit but I sold it to another collector years ago.
I also have one of the 2157 limited edition that they sold at NARAM 52 (number 16 of 50), autographed by Vern Estes and Mike Dorffler (shortly before Mike died).

PM me if you want photos.

I have one of the Mike Dorffler signed kits also. I think Vern was away from the booth when I visited with Mike. I think mine is #11. I had never met Mike, and spent some time talking to him in the Estes booth.
I wish I would have peeled the shrink wrap off and had him sign the box. Sadly, Mike passed away about a month after NARAM-52. I’ll try to find the picture of Mike and me together in the booth.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 05-29-2019, 12:47 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Lee, I think you'll find that there was no shrink wrap on that version of the Saturn V kit - at least on mine both Mike and Vern signed across the Saturn V image on the box. I'd met Mike ~ 40 years earlier (I lived in Pueblo and used to do stuff for/with Estes) but I'd never have recognized him and I'm sure he didn't remember me.
5x7, I got your message - I'm a bit busy prepping for NSL right now ( planning to launch four different Saturn V's - from the Estes RTF to my big 1/48th SHR Saturn) but I'll try to email you some photos before I leave.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

tdracer,

Mine is definitely signed on shrink wrap. I had seen pictures of Mike in magazines, but I would never have recognized him.

We live in Fort Collins, but mostly travel to Pueblo to fly with SCORE. A great club and a great launch site. My only wish was that it was a sod farm ... I’d do a lot less repairs on paint jobs.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 06-07-2019, 11:52 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Looking at various sources I found this sketchy info on Estes flying model Saturn V 1/100 Scale releases but amended below with all your comments, see thread for contributors:

#K-36/#1236 1969-1985. “Saturn V”. Paper wraps, deployed at Nosecone. Had a clear plastic sheet to make slip-on fins for stability. Originally a three 18mm cluster. Starting in 1970, you could fly it on the cluster or 24mm mount. The removable mounts were inserted into a short BT-63 tube that butted into a BT-50 to carry the ejection charge forward. BT-101 in two pieces, lengths scaled to the S-IC and S-II stages. Motor mount at rear of the model. Renumbered #1236 in 1975.

#2001 1988-1994. “Saturn V”. Separated at top of BT101, and oversized balsa fins for stability. Motor mount was recessed about 4" from the rear of the one piece BT-101. BT-101 in one piece. Balsa fins a little larger than the K-36. Fixed 1 * 24mm motor mount. Basically an old Centuri KS-12 Saturn V with Estes plastic parts and paper wraps.

#2157 1998-2004. “Apollo 11 Saturn V”. This release was never in a catalog. Various sources say released December 1998, discontinued 2004, possibly with several kit runs to keep it around. Kit was like a #2001, but Included the Centuri wraps with vacu-formed fins, but not the Centuri vacu-formed display nozzles.

#2157 2010. "Apollo 11 Saturn V" Limited edition on Box, Not in the 2010 Catalog. Same as earlier 2157 but only change was to the Apollo Plastic Parts Set. The mold was reworked to remove parts that were used in the 2001 version, but not the 2157 version.

#2157 2016. "Apollo 11 Saturn V", Same as year 2010 issued version but issued with Plastic Fins.

#1969 2018-2019, "Apollo 11 Saturn V". All new wraps and upper transition plus lunar lander plastic model bonus. (Beware this is listed as #2157 in the 2018 catalog).

Any more corrections are appreciated!

Thanks!

That's pretty much got it.

K-36's clear plastic fins were a sandwich of two sheets joined along the edges with dope, and it slipped over the existing fin. At some point they switched to the later Centuri method of a single plastic fin that had slits which the existing fin threaded through, but I couldn't tell you which models or which year this happened.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:10 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
That's pretty much got it.

K-36's clear plastic fins were a sandwich of two sheets joined along the edges with dope, and it slipped over the existing fin. At some point they switched to the later Centuri method of a single plastic fin that had slits which the existing fin threaded through, but I couldn't tell you which models or which year this happened.

I didn't realize (or I forgot) that Estes switched to the Centuri clear fin method. Was it the same die cut from Centuri? I've got some clear stock and was debating on whether to go with the old style sandwich or the Centuri style for my modified 2001 kit. I have a couple of Centuri fins, but can't find all four.