Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 PM
Craftsman

mail-ordered some chrome Trim Monokote, waiting for it to arrive before re-printing decals again. Was hard to find a place with some in stock.

Update: the monokote arrived, this stuff is very shiny, nearly mirror finish, and little thicker than the foil sticker, so it should handle well during the peel and stick process, and maybe cover up some of the tube spirals on the unpainted white body tube. I have some more artwork to finish for decals on another scratch build that I plan to print on the same sheet as this one, then I will be ready to reprint and apply these Screaming Eagle decals to the chrome sheet. Should look just about right, hopefully.

Last edited by GlenP : 12-14-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Craftsman

Have been working on another scratch build, but am ready to make some tweaks to my decal sheet for the both of them and reprint the inkjet waterslide decal sheet. I plan to add to the sheet a set of Screaming Eagle decals for my 13mm downscale clone, if I can fit them on there, it was just printed on cardstock and does not have the metallic stickers. That should look really cool, if these decals over the chrome trim Monokote turn out okay. The Screaming Eagle clone has been sitting there on the shelf with the decal test prints on copy paper, and looks great already, but it is just begging, or Screaming, if you will, for some metallic stickers!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Glen,

Somehow I missed seeing the picture of your pair of Excaliburs until today. Very attractive, and a very nice execution on the masking of the paint pattern.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Craftsman

Thanks very much. The SEMROC Excalibur full size was masked and painted and decaled in the traditional way, But the 13mm downscale was just printed on cardstock paper with an ink-jet printer and the body tubes rolled around dowels. Even the nose cone was made from cardstock paper with a few discrete conical transitions. I thought the clever part was naming the downscale version: "Sting."

And you should see their big brother, upscaled for 24mm power... MACHETE!

The upscale was made from an Amazon nose cone that I found in a school field near my house, and some wrapping paper tubes and paper towel rolls, not very pretty tubes from the recycle bin, but it also has a homemade twist-lock coupler at the transition made from toilet paper tubes laminated and a dowel. Paint scheme is from the original Centuri instructions, their recommended "challenging" scheme, but not pictured in any facecard or catalog image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_6731.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  266.6 KB  
Old 12-23-2018, 07:40 PM

The little one is amazing, now that you told me it’s printed and rolled. And all the pictures of the Excalibur I’ve seen are like the Semroc model, all white with red trim. A bit boring. Your paint scheme is a LOT more interesting.

I got the download of the Red Max cardstock model from Chris Michielssen, but have not made it yet. I’m looking forward to building. Things kind of ground to a halt lately with Christmas projects, but I’ll soon be starting up on my Saturn V build, and will need some little projects to break up the long/tedious build I’m expecting on the Saturn.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Craftsman

not my original paint scheme, but an attempt to recreate the catalog image:
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/80cen006.html

I like to use a glue stick for rolling paper tubes, or covering a tube with a paper wrap, it makes it easy to get a smooth even layer of glue while keeping your fingers clean. Always keep some paper towels handy to keep your fingers free of glue when working with cardstock models, you can smear the printer ink if you have any glue on your fingers.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:32 PM

I didn’t look at a late enough catalog. I think I saw that the Excalibur came out in early 70s, so I looked up the 1975 catalog. Awful picture. Looked mostly white, but maybe the model did have some pattern in paint, it just was hard to see detail.

Thanks for the tips on cardstock model construction. At least if I goof up, another tube is just a click and another printout away.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Craftsman

I searched through all of the back catalogs to find color pictures of all the Excalibur variations, not sure if I got all of them, but these are pretty close, with some artistic liberty to figure out the unpictured backsides. 13mm downscale Excalibur fleet:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_6378.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  166.8 KB  
Old 12-23-2018, 10:59 PM

You’ve got more patience than I have. I’m not sure I could do a cardstock nose cone.

But I have a lathe and have turned lots of nose cones. I have some nose cones for a BT-5, but will likely do some custom turnings for a few cardstock models that don’t lend themselves to a commercial nose cone.

Old 01-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Craftsman

Seriously thinking about a 2x upscale clone using a Prowler kit bash...

outlines are 2X, and 80% of that, I may go with a 90% of 2X for the four fin set, which replace the smaller 3 fin set. Mainly I want to fit two fins on the plywood sheets I got from the craft store. The stickers they put on the wood sheets are like impossible to peel up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  611D7120-1EED-4604-86FA-04D145D92122.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  718.2 KB  

Last edited by GlenP : 01-13-2019 at 04:15 PM.