Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Craftsman

I have heard of the blue nose/red fins version, but never saw one in person. Stickershock used to sell decals for this one. I just print my own at home, but I only have the white background paper right now, need to get some clear background sheets.

Will be nice to have this Screaming Eagle to go along with his BIG SHOT brother, Excalibur. I made the SEMROC kit and a 13mm downscale cardstock clone a while back. The BIG SHOT was my first launch set purchase (engines included!) after getting hooked on rocketry with a Viking at a Cub Scout day camp back in the day. Kind of similar to the modern-day Tandem-X launch set, that is a good starter set, I got one for my son a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_6538 (1).jpg
Views: 69
Size:  244.1 KB  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:37 PM
Master Modeler

I would like to see the Screaming Eagle brought back as a special edition. I don't know if this can be done because of the Centuri tubes. Estes may have to use their standard size ones.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 PM
Craftsman

You can get the all parts for the SEMROC Stellar Spartan kit from eRockets, but with balsa fins and nose cone instead of the original plastic. At one time they had the kit.
http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-lase...fins-sem-fv-59/

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-59
Old 12-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Craftsman

My first attept with the decals and metallic stickers did not turn out so good, was a good thing this was just practice. The peel stick foil is really thin and hard to work with, and I did not wait long enough for the water slide decals to dry. I had applied them to the metallic sheet, them cut them to size and tried peeling and applying to a scrap tube. I think a heavier metallic like Trim Monocote would be easier to work with rather than this type of very thin metallic foil. The results look promising, the metallic sheen shows through the clear and colored portions of the water slide decal. So, one more try, maybe will get it right next time. Also, I did not put enough coat of clear coat, as the ink started to run when I was smoothing out bubbles in some spots on the decals. I just put one heavy coat, but should have done 2 or 3 light coats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  F42ECFE4-2CAC-4BE3-A520-3162A2A2E020.jpeg
Views: 54
Size:  1,021.5 KB  
Old 12-08-2018, 05:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

Not bad for a first attempt. What kind of metallic material did you use?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:23 PM
Craftsman

Thanks! I used this foil sticker sheet:

http://www.erockets.biz/bare-metal-...et-chrome-foil/

This is really intended for covering plastic model kits, cars & airplanes, etc., for metallic/chrome trim details, not easy to do a model rocket body tube wrap. It will show plastic model details like panel lines and rivets, so any bumps or spirals in the model rocket will show through this thin foil. Kind of exaggerated on that scrap paper towel roll, of course.

I also have some of the dryer duct Aluminum peel-stick tape that I have used for chrome bands, that stuff is a little heavier thickness and does not crease as much when you peel off the backing. (those metallic details on the Excalibur 2 downscale booster in post #11 are the dryer duct tape.)

Was kind of hard to find Trim Monokote, I placed a mail order for some sheets. I was thinking of applying the metallic trim on the rocket first, then putting the decals on that, but it seems to be easier to apply the waterslide decals to the metallic sheet first, them cut to final shape and peel and stick after the decals are fully dried. I like how the metallic sheen shines through the decals, looks like a good reproduction, although I don't have an original to compare against. Crazy enough, it just might work.

After the decals, I have to install an elastic cord to the Kevlar leader and the nose cone, and a chute on a snap swivel to get this completed and ready to fly.

Ugh! and a launch lug, of course.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Craftsman

I just got one of those Prowlers on sale, and was kind of thinking kit bash... hmm...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 6.20.03 PM.png
Views: 54
Size:  86.5 KB  
Old 12-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

The Centuri Screaming Eagle was my entry into model rocketry. My mom decided I was too old for an Easter basket, so she got me rockets instead!

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox
The Centuri Screaming Eagle was my entry into model rocketry. My mom decided I was too old for an Easter basket, so she got me rockets instead!

Cool mom! While both my parents supported my entry into model rockets, I cannot imagine either of them buying me one back in the 60s.

Thank goodness I outgrew Ester Baskets so I could pursue a real hobby ...

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 12-09-2018, 12:17 AM
Craftsman

After selling only a few boxes of greeting cards door-to-door up and down my street, my mom bought the remaining boxes required to earn a sales reward prize from one of those sales clubs that were once advertised in the Boy's Life magazine for Scouts. The Centuri BIG SHOT launch set was my choice for the prize.

https://boyslife.org/wayback/

my first issue from Jan 1977:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.20.58 PM.png
Views: 31
Size:  385.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.21.41 PM.png
Views: 36
Size:  388.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 10.22.00 PM.png
Views: 46