Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
That belonged to one of our earliest YORF members, Don Magness (barone). He hasn't logged on here since late 2012. He was living around Memphis when I took that picture but I don't know what's become of him.

Don Magness is the Squirrel Works guy, isn't he?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 05-30-2018, 08:39 PM
BP Mafia

Was it Don Fent?

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 05-30-2018, 08:43 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Don Magness is the Squirrel Works guy, isn't he?

Got it mixed up. Barone's last name isn't Magness and now I can't remember what it actually is. Yes, Don Magness is Squirrel Works.

Edit......YES!

Don Fent. Looks like he now works for the city of Bartlett, which is a suburb of Memphis.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:51 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Got it mixed up. Barone's last name isn't Magness and now I can't remember what it actually is. Yes, Don Magness is Squirrel Works.

Fent.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 05-30-2018, 08:55 PM
Dazed and Confused

Looks like works for the city of Bartlett (suburb of Memphis) now.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

And he will turn 60 in a couple weeks!

I sent him a message via his work email. Hopefully I'll get a reply tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 AM
Dazed and Confused

Don (barone) replied and he's still kicking. He has a pretty time consuming job (Storm Water Coordinator/Municipal Construction Inspector/Interim City Forester) and has had to care for elderly family members. Several of us have had to scale back our hobbies because family comes first.

For you newer members, Don joined YORF in its infancy. He contributed several plans for Scott's YORS section and was a frequent contributor on YORF. He built and flew interesting rockets and competed in Memphis, but I don't know if he ever competed at a national level. He's an all around good guy. Hopefully he will retire in a few years and come back to YORF with some interesting builds.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:58 PM
7/21/61

Let me sing the praises of Don (Barone). Many years ago I was looking for a Medalist launch tower so my daughter and I could compete in NAR competitions. Don saw my post and PM'd me he had one of the towers he was no longer using much. He sold it to me for a very reasonable price and shipped the giant thing to me so it arrived in perfect shape.

My daughter and I subsequently used that tower to learn to compete. Our competition voyage together has been truly wonderful and we owe a huge debt of gratitude for that to Don.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:12 PM
BAR

Quote:
That will help in place of timing a liftoff, but for a good quality image, there is no substitute for good glass (lens) and high shutter speeds. You can slap a 20 mp sensor in a cheap camera and it won't look near as good as a 10 mp sensor with good glass in front of it. The Nikon D80 that I shot those photos with has a 10 mp sensor, less than some smart phones, but much better for rocketry because of the lens.

That said, these images are almost 10 years old and my D80 is a dinosaur compared to the 20-25 mp cameras of today, but with good glass, it will hold it's on.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5508
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=5511
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=6101

Those are always great pictures!

Quite correct... I guess most people think "more megapixels= better camera" when nothing could be further from the truth. For awhile it's all the camera manufacturers and retailers wanted to talk about-- the most megapixels.

Unless you're blowing a picture up to the size necessary for a billboard or covering the side of a bus, 10 mp is plenty for most applications. The more MP the bigger the file size. I always kept my Fuji Finepix "pro-sumer" camera set to 5 mp, which is fine for most pictures, unless you want to blow them up over poster size, then 8-10 is better. Anyway, a good burst mode IS nice (my Fuji will do 33 pics in 1.3 seconds in burst mode-- guaranteed liftoff pics if the ignitor works); the only thing is that's ALL you'll get, because it's an older camera and the buffer is slow writing the pics to the card, so it takes about 15-20 seconds or so after you release the shutter button before it's ready to shoot ANYTHING again... so usually I can't get any "in-flight" pics after the liftoff to about burnout, and then *maybe* some pics on the way down under chute (hopefully).

I compare having these huge megapixel rating sensors under bad glass to using a camera with large-format film (which was the only way to increase the "pixel count" in the old days) with a dinky button-size lens out of a cheap 110 camera... It just doesn't make sense... Good glass and good format size is the reason all those old Ansel Adams pics still look great nearly 100 years later...

Later! OL J R
Old 06-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
For you newer members, Don joined YORF in its infancy. He contributed several plans for Scott's YORS section and was a frequent contributor on YORF. He built and flew interesting rockets and competed in Memphis, but I don't know if he ever competed at a national level. He's an all around good guy. Hopefully he will retire in a few years and come back to YORF with some interesting builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Let me sing the praises of Don (Barone). Many years ago I was looking for a Medalist launch tower so my daughter and I could compete in NAR competitions. Don saw my post and PM'd me he had one of the towers he was no longer using much. He sold it to me for a very reasonable price and shipped the giant thing to me so it arrived in perfect shape.

My daughter and I subsequently used that tower to learn to compete. Our competition voyage together has been truly wonderful and we owe a huge debt of gratitude for that to Don.

Don Fent - Barone
Don is a great guy, he always paid it forward whenever he had the chance. Haven't heard from him in a long time but glad to hear is still around. I got to launch with him a few times, and Don wasn't scared to launch anything, on anything in any weather. "Model rockets were meant to fly"
Was once SAM#0132