Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-19-2018, 01:43 PM
pterodactyl's Avatar
pterodactyl pterodactyl is offline
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 188
Default

Jerry,

Neil Armstrong developed a defensive posture toward exploitation of his image and name due to a few unfortunate events perpetuated by unscrupulous actors. He would happily grant photo-ops to well wishers, but if he sniffed commercialism his shields would go up.

Consider the following partial list of scams foisted on him:

- a school teacher in Florida had his class write letters to Armstrong and included photos and autograph requests. Armstrong signed all the photos and returned them to the teacher who then used a solvent to wash the inscriptions ("To Johnny") and sold the autographed photos on the open market. The kids just thought Armstrong never responded. The teacher should be in jail, but nothing happened.

-Armstrong's barber from Lebanon, Ohio was caught selling his hair clippings to a celebrity dealer (the barbershop is now out of business)

-Hallmark produced a Christmas ornament using Armstrong's voice recordings without seeking permission. The Purdue band got a nice donation from that faux pas by Hallmark.

When he saw the unfortunate lawsuit between Chuck Yeager and his new wife and Yeager's children take place he passed the rights to his name and image to Purdue University.
__________________
National Collection Images: G. Harry Stine Collection/The Museum of Flight. Follow YOUR National Model and Sport Rocketry Collection on Twitter: @Natl_ModRoc_Col
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Royatl's Avatar
Royatl Royatl is offline
SPEV/Orion wrangler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactyl
Jerry,

Neil Armstrong developed a defensive posture toward exploitation of his image and name due to a few unfortunate events perpetuated by unscrupulous actors. He would happily grant photo-ops to well wishers, but if he sniffed commercialism his shields would go up.


I note that the video Vern linked to had the title "Famous Astronaut" and no other mention of his real name other than what came up in the video
__________________
Roy
nar12605
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 AM
Vern Vern is offline
Founder, Estes Industries
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canon City, CO
Posts: 17
Default

Pat,

Thanks for providing some very interesting facts to add to the story. To my regret I failed to connect with him at NARAM-53. We probably all look back at missed opportunities and wish for do-overs.

Neil and I had a few things in common. We were both born in 1930. We both took our turn at building model air planes. His worked while my first and only had a love affair with the ground. We both participated the space race. He got to liftoff aboard the big Saturn rocket while I stood and watched from the ground. He stepped out on the surface of the moon while I sat with eyes glued to the TV as the Eagle landed. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to trade places, but it's hypothetical so I don't have to answer that question.

Vern
__________________
Vern Estes
NAR member since 1958, #380
Click to go to Vern's web site: Vern Estes
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-20-2018, 03:14 AM
tdracer tdracer is offline
Scale Modeler Extrodinare
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 27
Default

Vern, I can say pretty much for a fact that you met Buzz Aldrin and Gene Cernan in 2012 because I was there. The fund raising Gala at the Seattle Museum of Flight - I was the guy that built the Saturn V models (and Space Ship One models) that were signed by various astronauts and other space dignitaries then auctioned off. Buzz and Gene were there and signed the Saturns (along with you ).
My understanding was that Neil Armstrong was also going to attend but unfortunately passed away a couple months earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-20-2018, 12:36 PM
Vern Vern is offline
Founder, Estes Industries
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canon City, CO
Posts: 17
Default

You are correct on all counts. BTW, that was a really beautiful Saturn V model you built, and I was privileged to add my name to it. -- Vern
__________________
Vern Estes
NAR member since 1958, #380
Click to go to Vern's web site: Vern Estes
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Jerry Irvine's Avatar
Jerry Irvine Jerry Irvine is offline
Freeform rocketry advocate.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ
Posts: 3,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
Pat,

Thanks for providing some very interesting facts to add to the story. To my regret I failed to connect with him at NARAM-53. We probably all look back at missed opportunities and wish for do-overs.

Neil and I had a few things in common. We were both born in 1930. We both took our turn at building model air planes. His worked while my first and only had a love affair with the ground. We both participated the space race. He got to liftoff aboard the big Saturn rocket while I stood and watched from the ground. He stepped out on the surface of the moon while I sat with eyes glued to the TV as the Eagle landed. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to trade places, but it's hypothetical so I don't have to answer that question.

Vern
Maybe, but you brought his dream to the masses AND OVER TIME AND WELL PAST YOUR FUTURE PASSING. I call it a near tie with him a bit ahead.
__________________
Exemptions not regulations. Please support DOT treating slow burning solids as not subject to HMR. 2015 NAR President declines!
U.S. Rockets instaship. http://bit.ly/1aca7mA Please buy some rockets.
The O administration believed in tax, spend, borrow, fine, mandate, monologue. D voters will soon be very happy with the election outcome!
Model rocketry is as safe as safe can be defined in human existence. Bow and pray: GH Stine, Orville, Vern, Lee, Lonnie, Carl, etc. No, really.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM
tdracer tdracer is offline
Scale Modeler Extrodinare
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
You are correct on all counts. BTW, that was a really beautiful Saturn V model you built, and I was privileged to add my name to it. -- Vern

Thank You. I've built a lot of Saturn V models over the years but those came out best of all.
Did anyone bother to tell you that the Museum auctioned off the Estes (1/100th scale) Saturn V last may for $17,000! Probably the most valuable Estes Saturn V ever
The big Sirius (1/64th scale) Saturn I still have - it was on display at the Sun River Observatory outside Bend, OR for a while but is currently back home with me.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2018