Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Master Modeler

I found a Multi-Roc on E-Bay for a somewhat decent price and not gouging on the shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Rocke...D-/272125484399

so if anyone is bidding on it, I'd appreciate it if you could let it slip by.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:40 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
I found a Multi-Roc on E-Bay for a somewhat decent price and not gouging on the shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-Rocke...D-/272125484399

so if anyone is bidding on it, I'd appreciate it if you could let it slip by.

ah heck, someone has an auto bid on it and I'm not going to get into a bidding war just for a nose cone.

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:42 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
ah heck, someone has an auto bid on it and I'm not going to get into a bidding war just for a nose cone.
Amnday it! (What do you know--the YORF system's "dirty word detector" doesn't know pig latin... :-) ) But seriously, there are other ways to get a plastic -50X nose cone:

[1] You could get a BNC-50X, mount it on a dowel (glued into the screw eye hole), sand it down a fraction of a millimeter smaller than its overall radii, then apply an epoxy or polyurethane resin to the nose cone's surface (sanding between "coats") until it's back up to its original radii. Being able to sand it while it's on the dowel (which would also give the screw eye stronger wood to "chew" into, after you cut the dowel off flush with the nose cone base later) would make it easier to apply and later sand the resin. It would take a little effort, but you would have a tough, smooth-surfaced nose cone that would be very strong for its weight and would take paint nicely. (Some years ago, faced with the high up-front costs of injection molds for styrene or ABS plastic nose cones, I'd thought about making such nose cones for my Nova Hobbies rocket kits, calling them "Resi-Kote" nose cones. To produce them in quantity, I envisioned having slightly under-sized balsa nose cones made, which I would rotate inside properly-sized RTV rubber molds containing liquid resin, in order to coat them with the correct thickness of resin.) Also:

[2] Shapeways or Boyce Enterprises (the latter has an eBay store--the former might have one, too) could make a 3D printed PNC-50X nose cone for you. Boyce Enterprises' 3D printed rockets and parts (I bought one of his 3D printed Cox Nike-Zeus rockets--it's beautiful!) require some sanding (they have low, narrow ridges between the print head's rows), but not an onerously large amount of it. I haven't (yet) held one of Shapeways' 3D printed parts between my nascent hooves yet, but he apparently uses a different, slightly porous type of plastic (he mentions that they require some preparation [primer, if memory serves] to fill in the tiny pores, but that's okay with me, since he makes long-unavailable and also heretofore never-available rocket parts!), and I see no ridges in the online photographs of his rocket parts. (Either of them could even 3D print the front domes, scalloped rear "nozzles," and rear topside intercoolers for your U.S.S. Atlantis' warp engines!)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Master Modeler

The Multi Roc ended up going for $31, which is not too bad if your going to get it for the rocket. For just a nose cone, I'll pass, add 20 or so and spend the money on a LJII

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina

Old 02-13-2016, 05:26 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
The Multi Roc ended up going for $31, which is not too bad if your going to get it for the rocket. For just a nose cone, I'll pass, add 20 or so and spend the money on a LJII
I'd give Sirius Rocketry www.siriusrocketry.com an e-mail "ping"--they might have a PNC-50X that they could cast resin duplicates of (they have many more "Moldin' Oldies" cast polyurethane resin Estes and Centuri plastic nose cone duplicates than they list, as they only list the most popular ones). The Multi-Roc had a nice T-tailed parasite glider, too, which--like the Estes Firefly--could also be boosted aloft using many other rockets of comparable size and performance.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 03-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Master Modeler

Scamp up for auction on ebay and I have a bid on it. I'm crossing my fingers.

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina

Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 PM
BP Mafia

I went downstairs to check my nose cone stash tonight because I thought I recently got one in an Ebay lot, but one was a 50Y and the other was a modified cone from an Alpha III. (The good news is that I refound that Estes Cluster Bomb rocket while I was looking.) Pretty sure I sent my PDR Atlantis cone to another forum member a few years back or I'd send it to you.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks for the look Bill.

I hope that Centuri Mini Dactyl turns up soon in the Hickory Farms Box.

Starport Sagitta Rockets

NAR # 97971 SR

Sagitta Cantina

Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Thanks for the look Bill.

I hope that Centuri Mini Dactyl turns up soon in the Hickory Farms Box.

Depends. I bought that around 1978, so it technically predated the box. I'm hoping that all the magic hasn't leeched out of it.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Master Modeler

I want some of that Hickory Farms product!