Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Master Modeler

Default The Martian

The Martian. Who is gonna watch it?

October 2, 2015
Old 06-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Just watched the trailer. Unless it's a poorly constructed trailer, I'd have to say the movie looks a little slow. I like Matt Damon, but I don't think I'm gonna see this one.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Master Modeler

I don't know, we love sci-fi and I'm all for anything about space but I've seen a trailer for it and wasn't really impressed. Plus, I'm not a big fan of any of the actors so we probably won't be spending $24 to see it at the theatre. Maybe next summer when I can get it at Walmart for $5.

Randy
www.vernarockets.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHJHOK6
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O14ET8K
https://www.facebook.com/RocketBabeDustStorm
Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

The movie is based on Andy Weir's book. it is a FANTASTIC book. A realistic sci-fi story that does not use "technobabble totally fantasy technology". It uses technology that we mostly have now, or project to be possible to perfect in 30-ish years from now.

The basic plot is that a member of the third mission to land on Mars, gets left behind, thought to be dead, stranded, and no rescue mission that can be launched to get to him in less than 4 years. And only a handful of months of food.

Anyway, see this thread for more info. Also, there is a ink there, to the first chapter for free. A lot of people, if they read that first chapter, find it hard to not get into it and want to read the rest of the book.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...ir-s-great-book

I know of nobody who has read the book and felt "eh" about it, or stopped halfway thru. Most raved about it. That is why so many are looking forward to the movie. And from what little has been seen in the trailers, it looks like it is in good hands (the on board before leaving Earth scene is not in the book, but adds useful context and also shows how Mark Watney won't use a conventional diary as from the book, but use video diaries instead. That was one of the things in the book some wondered how the diary would work in a movie.

And below, a sneak peek at one of the scenes:

Well, OK, their Mars Ascent Vehicle (MAV) doesn't really look like that, but it was fun to 'Shop it into one of the official movie images.

I rarely go to see a movie when it is first out, indeed only see a handful a year. I plan to see two movies this year in their first 24 hours of release, if not first day. Star Wars Episode 7 is one, and this is the other.

But if people don't like the book, or the movie, fine.

- George Gassaway
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer

Last edited by georgegassaway : 06-11-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

I've talking with Andy online a bit. He likes my Mars art, he's been getting to tour NASA and having a pretty fun time with it all I gather.

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 06-11-2015, 09:25 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

I've got both the paperback and ebook on request with my local library. Will read whichever version comes available first. I rarely go to movies anymore. I just wait a bit and get it from Netflix and watch it in Blu-Ray on my big Plasma screen.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 06-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default Audiobook

Have to say that I picked up the audiobook from Audible.com and have had it on as background for the last couple days as I enjoy some staycation and rocket building. It's been pretty good. I can imagine that Hollywood will have to "spice up" the storyline a bit, as, while it's cool to hear how he surmounts each obstacle to his survival, it would be pretty slow for a Hollywood feature.

I've gotta say, the "arc" of the story reminds me very much of the old "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" flick from a few decades back. Basic same idea (i.e. protagonist gets stranded on Mars, then has to work out basic survival stuff like air, water, food, THEN goes exploring)...but the author definitely went for "believable, right next door, tomorrow tech" kind of story, no warp drives or blasters. To me, the believability of the story is its major appeal. Haven't finished the story yet, so can't give any spoilers - but, for me, I'm enjoying the audiobook.
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 06-12-2015, 04:33 AM
Master Modeler

Funny you mention "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"movie. I was thinking the same thing and wondered if this was a modern day remake. Will he meet "Friday?" Will there be aliens mining the planet? Will he find the canals?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:33 AM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Funny you mention "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"movie. I was thinking the same thing and wondered if this was a modern day remake. Will he meet "Friday?" Will there be aliens mining the planet? Will he find the canals?

There is less in common between those movies than in common between Tom Hanks in Cast Away and Dick Van Dyke in "Robinson Crusoe, U.S.N." And those were way different "stranded" movies.

No canals. No Aliens. No monkeys. No Nancy Kwan (neither the actress nor the ice skater).

However, had Warner Brothers won the movie rights, the movie might have been different.....

- George Gassaway

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer

Last edited by georgegassaway : 06-12-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Dazed and Confused

There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!