Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

Default Newbomb's New Builds

I was able to get my inconsistent camera to briefly work, so I thought I would start a very Vanel-esque thread showing some of the builds I've completed since it stopped working. There will be one distinct difference to this thread as opposed to others of similar type: I plan to use my patented photography technique of only shooting the best view of the rocket, thereby hiding abundant flaws.

I'll start with a Defender clone, kitbashed from a CC Express, with a baffle from Semroc and decals from Excelsior. It's flown several times at club launches with great success.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  defender.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  1.21 MB  

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 PM

Next, my Scorpion clone, kitbashed from a couple of Hobby Lobby Sky Writers, with Semroc tubes and decals from Sandman. It hasn't flown yet, but the first club launch of the season is this Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  scorpion.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  1.22 MB  

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbomb Turk
Next, my Scorpion clone, kitbashed from a couple of Hobby Lobby Sky Writers, with Semroc tubes and decals from Sandman. It hasn't flown yet, but the first club launch of the season is this Saturday.

I've got one of those Sky Writers left, and the fin can from the one I CATOed last year. Sounds like just the project I need. Looks like a Mongoose could also be used as a donor.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-14-2014, 09:04 PM

This one was a kit I got off ebay late last year. The Apache 2 is a great flier. It really scoots on a C booster.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  apache2.JPG
Views: 219

Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
This one was a kit I got off ebay late last year. The Apachee 2 is a great flier. It really scoots on a C booster.

I cloned the Tiger Streak last year, which I believe is the same rocket from the Centuri stable. I flew it last year at NARAM on a windy day. Thought I grabbed a A8-0, but grabbed a B6-0 with the B6-6 sustainer. Oopsie. The rocket windcocked fairly heavily, but then began riding the wind across the road. Flew over a house, a tree, a deck and a pool, but landed safely. I thought it had the woods easily, but the house apparently blocked the wind once it dropped below the level of the roof.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 08-15-2014, 07:54 PM

Next, from a Crossfire kit, a clone of the Black Brandt III. Personally, though, I call it the Jeffy Jeep Special, because he was kind enough to provide me with his fin pattern. Also, this is the first time I used floor polish in finishing, a technique I picked up from his threads.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  bbIII.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  1.23 MB  

Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Craftsman

Cool Nice Defender There

Quote:
I was able to get my inconsistent camera to briefly work, so I thought I would start a very Vanel-esque thread showing some of the builds I've completed since it stopped working. There will be one distinct difference to this thread as opposed to others of similar type: I plan to use my patented photography technique of only shooting the best view of the rocket, thereby hiding abundant flaws.

I'll start with a Defender clone, kitbashed from a CC Express, with a baffle from Semroc and decals from Excelsior. It's flown several times at club launches with great success.

I had this rocket when it first came out, but mainly flew it on the FSI E5s. Flew great on those, if a bit slow going up, but looked more 'missily' doing so.

Also recall having that main USAF decal dork up as I laid it too. Blah.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM

Straying a little from the theme, this is the mid-80's vintage Estes Ranger. D-power, I flew it several times back then using a streamer. However, with access to a club field, I think I'll use a 15 inch chute now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  ranger.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  1.23 MB  

Old 09-18-2014, 07:19 PM

Everybody likes twins. This is the classic Sprint, cloned with Semroc parts and great decals from Sandman, and the current Sprint XL. Haven't flown the clone yet, but the SL has made several terrific flights. At the first club launch of the Fall it became the first rocket I've ever flown with an E engine. That was impressive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  sprint duo.JPG
Views: 181

Old 09-24-2014, 11:28 AM
Master Modeler

A nice old-timey and classic design. I've always liked the elliptical shape of the fins with the boat-tail. A good looking pair.