Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The AVI "UFO" series were pure vaporware. Some of the fictional aliens were described in AVI's newsletter.

The only AVI model that was announced and actually delivered was the Lineaus Gigantus, which was many lengths of T-20 tubing; up front was a transition section, maybe 6" of T-25, and an ogive plastic cone. On the rear was a standard "Pioneer" plastic fin can.

I managed to track down and talk to Mike Bergenske a couple of months ago. Mike was the original owner, founder of AVI Astroport and he informed me that the original planed run for the Star Warrior was 5,000 kits but that only a little over 1,500 kits were actually produced and shipped. We talked for over half an hour about the old days. Sorry to say that he informed me that all records for the company were lost over the years. If anyone should happen to have a catalog, or one of the original kits, please scan and upload it. Hope this sheds a little more light on a great rocket from the past.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 AM
Junior Rocketeer

I live in northern Illinois and AVI was in southern Wisconsin, not too far from my house. A friend of mine was a pilot, as was I, and he needed to make a trip to Mineral Point to pick up a friend of his and fly him to St. Louis. He needed me to share in the flying and I was excited to visit Mineral Point.

We only have about a hour layover while waiting for his friend to arrive at the small airport. I had plans to look up AVIs address in the phone book and try to make a visit. I never found a listing for them and later found out that they had just gone out business!

I remember their broadsheet catalogs that had dozens of special motors in them and I was extremely dissapointed to not be able to visit them. How often does someone get a chance to fly to Mineral Point
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah
I live in northern Illinois and AVI was in southern Wisconsin, not too far from my house. A friend of mine was a pilot, as was I, and he needed to make a trip to Mineral Point to pick up a friend of his and fly him to St. Louis. He needed me to share in the flying and I was excited to visit Mineral Point.

We only have about a hour layover while waiting for his friend to arrive at the small airport. I had plans to look up AVIs address in the phone book and try to make a visit. I never found a listing for them and later found out that they had just gone out business!

I remember their broadsheet catalogs that had dozens of special motors in them and I was extremely dissapointed to not be able to visit them. How often does someone get a chance to fly to Mineral Point

I went through the city's Chamber of Commerce in order to track down a number for the owner of the company and had a very nice conversation with him a few months ago. I never did see a catalog but wish I had as there is no dought that I would had ordered one or more of there kits. I keep hoping someone here might have one they can upload.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Star Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Those are some interesting designs. I'd love to see more about them as well, if available.

On a side note, the one AVI plan that is online is here at YORS;
http://www.oldrocketplans.com/avi/aviAX-1/aviAX-1.htm

Anyone ever built/cloned one of these? It would be very interesting to see a picture or two...

Later,
EV

Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Star Warrior.1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  685.0 KB  
Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer48
If anyone should happen to have a catalog, or one of the original kits, please scan and upload it. Hope this sheds a little more light on a great rocket from the past.

I have a copy of the AVI Astroport Encyclog. Been meaning to scan it and hand the scan over to the YORF archives, but that project is just another can that I keep kicking down the road. I'm surprised that no one else has done this. If there is enough interest here on YORF, my arm could be twisted into getting this done quickly.
-W
MTMA Section #606 President
Old 05-23-2014, 12:27 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Most of their stuff was 'vaporware'.
I do still have a few unfired 18mm Long-length D engines from AVI.
Have a few of their 10.5mm engines too.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-23-2014, 03:15 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
I have a copy of the AVI Astroport Encyclog. Been meaning to scan it and hand the scan over to the YORF archives, but that project is just another can that I keep kicking down the road. I'm surprised that no one else has done this. If there is enough interest here on YORF, my arm could be twisted into getting this done quickly.
-W

I'm twisting! SAY "UNCLE!!!"

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 AM
BP Mafia

Define "quickly".
Define "twist".

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison Alum
I've done a clone of this, with the exception of the phasar tubes (couldn't find a 15mm tube, so I found a close approximation at BMS) and also made it a 24mm min diameter design. Haven't been able to paint it yet or find decals.
Quest sells 15 mm body tubes. MPC's Miniroc kits (the Pipsqueak, Delta-Katt, Super Star, Astrobee D, ASP-1, and Taurus-1) all used these tubes; BT-5/ST-5 tubes make a perfect "sleeve-fit" inside the 15 mm tubing to serve as 13 mm mini motor mount tubes. Most of these MPC Miniroc kits, by the way, will, if all goes well, soon be back in (small-scale) production, although I'm not at liberty to say any more for now, except that I'm helping their future producer to--as a certain starship captain was wont to say--"Make it so."
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 06-24-2014, 01:18 AM
Lost his Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Define "quickly".
Define "twist".

There was some expression of interest... so there's the twist.

"Quickly" is relative. I believe I now know what box contains the Encyclog. Next step is to retrieve the box, but only after I finish cleaning out the garage to make room for the Honda that needs a new engine. After I pull the old engine, replace it, r&r various parts of the front suspension, and get that Civic back on the road, I'll climb that ladder and retrieve the box. May have to sort through some old kits and sell them off for all of this.

-W
MTMA Section #606 President