Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 PM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 6,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
I love the task of taking a model that has seen it's better days and giving it new Life.

#1&2. Here is a before and after of an Astron Mark, (Blue Tube/ Silver N.C.)
#3 . this Goony had all of it's fins broke off, I just could not bring myself to repaint this one.
#4. the S.P.E.V. was in really bad shape. I had to completely
rebuild the lower section. Now this S.P.E.V. has 24 m.m. Motor Mount. Fly s great on a C11-5.

# 5. This X-Ray is from around 1966, It was missing all of it's fins. It has the original Dark Brown
Gun rubber Shock Cord and the Type 1 Checker Board Parachute.

I have flown all of these Rebuilds at least once since they were restored.

I have no idea how the pictures changed the order from that they were posted ?

Ditto. These are great. I especially love the Mark, X-Ray and Goony. I built an SPEV a few years back with a 24mm engine mount and got laughed at at a QUARK launch. Then it flew like a bat out of hell and no one laughed anymore.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I was SAM 0058

On the build floor: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Semroc SLS Scorpion, Semroc Squire, RDC V-Max

Ready to fly: Canaroc Green Hornet, Estes Astron Farside X, FSI Eos, FRW Magnum Spartan, Centuri Stellar StarLifter, Estes World Federation Star Probe, Estes Astron Apogee
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,819
Default

I like your S.P.E.V. paint job. You took the Thor Agena theme a step farther with the red stripes.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-29-2015, 11:33 AM
LeeR's Avatar
LeeR LeeR is offline
Retired with Way Too Many Kits
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,913
Default

I am going to do you "rescuers" all a favor and not go looking for boxes of old rockets needing some TLC. With about 150 kits in storage, numerous partially-built rockets, and parts to build dozens more, I won't be done until I'm in my 90s ...

I wonder if there are any retirement homes that can provide any shop space?
__________________
Lee Reep
NAR 55948, L2

Projects: Super Sky Hook, Estes Saturn V, Astron Farside-X
In the Paint/Detailing shop: Estes Saturn 1B
Completed!: Der Saturn Max
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Randy's Avatar
Randy Randy is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 978
Default

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-29-2015, 07:07 PM
Neal Miller Neal Miller is offline
Master Blaster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I am going to do you "rescuers" all a favor and not go looking for boxes of old rockets needing some TLC. With about 150 kits in storage, numerous partially-built rockets, and parts to build dozens more, I won't be done until I'm in my 90s ...

I wonder if there are any retirement homes that can provide any shop space?


I have no Idea how many kits I have un-built. or partly built the thing that make this fun
is persevering something from the past.

when I can build one of these models from old dis-guarded parts that is cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0372.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  688.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  100_0375.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  663.1 KB  
__________________
Neal Miller
Master Blaster NAR# 58296
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-31-2015, 01:47 AM
scott_mills scott_mills is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 184
Default

Does anyone have a good method to replace a landing strut on a mars Lander k43 ? As you can see from previous post I now have two of them, but I only need one.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-31-2015, 02:12 AM
scott_mills scott_mills is offline
Craftsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 184
Default

Does anyone have any of the Edmonds glider instructions / plans for the ci ci 2 stage, and the other gliders that I can't identify ?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-17-2015, 11:42 PM
MarkB.'s Avatar
MarkB. MarkB. is online now
Drinks Dos XX w/ a squeeze of lime
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: El Paso
Posts: 882
Default

Comrades!

Got two more rescue rockets on eBay. And from the look of them, they are serious relics. Both have the early Estes checkerboard parachutes, the dark rubber shock cords and no shock cord mount -- instead the rubber is threaded through two slits in the body tube and knoted below.

Preliminary check revealed an expended Model Products Corporation A3-2 engine in the V-2. The V-2 also had a mixture of insulation and reused wadding still inside. I'd guess the last flight was a lawn dart and it had not been opened since. Of the two rockets, it will be the tougher rebuild as the fins are cracked and will have to be reset. The nose cone shoulder will need a fair amount of work as well.

The Bertha appears to be of the same vintage and also appears to have suffered a lawn dart event. If I replace the upper section of the tube, it'd be flyable. Heck, it's flyable now, just not very pretty.

These two will fly again, possibly before the new year. My youngest has already said he wants to work on the V-2. We just finished rebuilding a similar one togther, so that'll be fun. I will post finish pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  rescue1.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  648.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rescue2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  1.34 MB  
__________________
Identifying a problem without proposing a solution is just whining.

NAR 79743
NARTrek Bronze
SAM 062

Awaiting First Launch: Excelsior/Semroc Scrambler; Rescue Sandhawk; SS-520-5; Rescue K-25 Arcas; mini V-2; Fly Baby; Centuri Nike-Smoke; Vashon X-13; Estes Firefly; Semroc Swift; Glider-Launching-Rocket; Black Hole Probe; Enerjet Pterodactyl
Finishing: Blossum
Repair/Rebuild: MPC Nike Smoke
On the Bench: LTV Scout F; 1/10 Phoenix; 3" Bertha; Nike HTT
Dream Stage: Big R-7
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-18-2015, 12:54 AM
A Fish Named Wallyum's Avatar
A Fish Named Wallyum A Fish Named Wallyum is offline
BP Mafia
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ft. Thomas, KY
Posts: 6,922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Comrades!

Got two more rescue rockets on eBay. And from the look of them, they are serious relics. Both have the early Estes checkerboard parachutes, the dark rubber shock cords and no shock cord mount -- instead the rubber is threaded through two slits in the body tube and knoted below.

Preliminary check revealed an expended Model Products Corporation A3-2 engine in the V-2. The V-2 also had a mixture of insulation and reused wadding still inside. I'd guess the last flight was a lawn dart and it had not been opened since. Of the two rockets, it will be the tougher rebuild as the fins are cracked and will have to be reset. The nose cone shoulder will need a fair amount of work as well.

The Bertha appears to be of the same vintage and also appears to have suffered a lawn dart event. If I replace the upper section of the tube, it'd be flyable. Heck, it's flyable now, just not very pretty.

These two will fly again, possibly before the new year. My youngest has already said he wants to work on the V-2. We just finished rebuilding a similar one togther, so that'll be fun. I will post finish pictures.

Fly the Bertha once as is before you do any work on it, just for the photo op. I had a "modified" Astron Apogee with the slits for the shock cord mount. Unfortunately it also had an engine blank glued in to the upper section. It didn't fly well and the body is likely retired, but the payload section and nose cone will live to fly another day, this time on a decidedly less modified Apogee.
__________________
Bill Eichelberger
NAR 79563

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I was SAM 0058

On the build floor: Centuri Stellar Hercules, Semroc SLS Scorpion, Semroc Squire, RDC V-Max

Ready to fly: Canaroc Green Hornet, Estes Astron Farside X, FSI Eos, FRW Magnum Spartan, Centuri Stellar StarLifter, Estes World Federation Star Probe, Estes Astron Apogee
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-18-2015, 07:56 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 8,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_mills
Does anyone have a good method to replace a landing strut on a mars Lander k43 ? As you can see from previous post I now have two of them, but I only need one.

Is it broken off where you can splice a new leg on, or do you need to access the hinge tube?
If you need internal access, the first step for you is to download the Semroc plans so you can get a good look at how the kit was put together and see what you will be getting into if you access the hinge. The Estes kit was assembled the same way, but the parts weren't laser cut.

http://www.semroc.com/Documents/pdf/Mars%20Lander.pdf

You will have to remove the aft bulkhead to get to the structural centering ring that the rubber bands attach to. You will need to decide if you want to sacrifice the bell nozzle and/or aft bulkhead and remove accordingly. You now have access to the structural centering ring. You will either have to cut a window into the centering ring or remove it completely. Looking at the exploded view, you can see the triangle braces and the thrust ring that all serve to beef up that section.

Once you've got your new leg in place, fabricate the parts you've destroyed and reassemble. Better yet, buy a Semroc kit and use the needed parts from it, or if the parts are available separately, order and use them.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2019