Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That king-turd of rocketry websites is once again proving what a gigantic POS it really is. No shock to me.

Hey! I dropped some gems in there from time to time!

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 04-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Mid Power Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
... I do this out of my own pocket because I want to pay forward and it's a hobby.

Those are beautiful reasons.

Thank you!
Woosh #558
Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox
Hey! I dropped some gems in there from time to time!

I have dropped some turds over there from time to time!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Born Late Rocketeer

This is another thing they were swearing up and down a few months ago they had "no plans" to do.

Bad enough TRF is being run by money grubbing non rocketeers, but they're LYING money grubbing non rocketeers. I have zero tolerance for that crap.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 04-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Master: Dark Art of Model Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Holmes
This is another thing they were swearing up and down a few months ago they had "no plans" to do.

Bad enough TRF is being run by money grubbing non rocketeers, but they're LYING money grubbing non rocketeers. I have zero tolerance for that crap.

Sadly true. Every new ad or intrusion is a "mistake" or "wrong setting" and then "give us time".

Master of the Dark Art of Model Rocketry

www.shrox.com
Old 04-10-2014, 02:10 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Site has went from intolerable to total garbage steaming canine fecal excrement now ran by lyin' sacks-o-$%#T.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsager
Those are beautiful reasons.

Thank you!

Indeed!

I'm not going to get into it over there, this time.

I can write a clear and concise post, and it astounds me that people will misconstrue it and misinterpret it to suit themselves. Even when no interpretation is called for. Its detrimental my faith in people.

It's a wonder they haven't been fleeced long before now.

Last edited by foamy : 04-10-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I suppose being banned over there is more of a feature than a bug now.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:40 PM
BAR

Quote:
None, that's a bunch of BS. Also, unless they're stupid and paying some hosting company WAY too much money, the hosting is negligible as well. It costs me about $85/year for hosting all my sites and my email.

True, there is a cost for vBulletin. But you don't HAVE to be upgrading all the time. Mine is from 2005/2006 and is still working fine for the most part for what we do here.

The ONLY reason they've put all the advertising crap on their site and now charging membership fees is to make money.

I do this out of my own pocket because I want to pay forward and it's a hobby. I'm not in it to make a buck or to commercialize the site.

DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!

Exactly the reasons folks like me (and others to be sure) have been saying for a while...

Someone pointed out in a thread over there that the idea is to SO pollute the site with crap that folks will PAY to get rid of it...

Which is EXACTLY what folks like me have been saying all along. I don't want to support that kind of thinking, so I won't join anyway. Heck make it a "pay only" site and I won't even go there anymore at all... (but they won't go THAT far... gotta keep 'em coming in the door--just want to annoy the crap out of folks to twist a little money out of them).

Well, as Randy correctly said-- their sandbox, they can do what they want... For now I'll stick around. I am getting pretty sick of the ads. Sure, there's adblocks available, and I have Firefox downloaded onto my machine, but I don't use it... EVERY OTHER SINGLE WEBSITE I CARE TO READ WORKS JUST FINE ON IE9... including this one. WHY should I have to change browsers JUST BECAUSE they CHOOSE to so pollute their website that it's unreadable on IE9?? I mean, if you use Firefox, Chrome, whatever, more power to you... good for you. If you don't, you shouldn't HAVE to switch just because they want to make their website unreadable on any other platform without mind-raping you with ads and slogging your machine with SO much crap that you can't even type a response to a thread without the machine bogging down...

It's ridiculous...

Even more ridiculous, having to PAY for "fewer ads"... BTW, the new admin over there followed up on that very comment I made... FEWER ads, not NO ads... "sorry, but the private advertiser banner will remain", by which I took to mean the "banner ad" across the top of the page that rocket-related advertisers have been sponsoring the sites with (including this one) for as long as I can possibly remember... I'm okay with that...

What I'm NOT okay with, is the incessant bombardment by header/footer "AdChoices" ads that track every movement I make and bombard me with crap I have NO interest in reading, let alone buying, and slowing my machine down (if one reads the forum in multiple tabs opened from the "new posts" window) to the point that if I have more than two tabs open at the same time, I cannot even post a reply...

Oh well... just commenting. They can do what they like, true enough... but I can also choose what I like and don't like and support or not support it... and make my opinions on the matter known, (FWIW).

Oh well... it is what it is... none of us can change it... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 04-10-2014, 12:42 PM
BAR

Quote:
None, that's a bunch of BS. Also, unless they're stupid and paying some hosting company WAY too much money, the hosting is negligible as well. It costs me about $85/year for hosting all my sites and my email.

True, there is a cost for vBulletin. But you don't HAVE to be upgrading all the time. Mine is from 2005/2006 and is still working fine for the most part for what we do here.

The ONLY reason they've put all the advertising crap on their site and now charging membership fees is to make money.

I do this out of my own pocket because I want to pay forward and it's a hobby. I'm not in it to make a buck or to commercialize the site.

ABSOLUTELY!!! A very hearty THANK YOU for what you do... I know we ALL appreciate it!

HEAR, HEAR!!!!

OL JR