Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Master Modeler

So what happened to dis-advanced you?

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Couldn't get this to work last night, so here's the big pic. Taken from atop the hill looking toward US 27. The gas station is an office building now and my Grandparents lived just over the hill behind the houses. My current neighborhood is in the opposite direction of the photo, and I grew up behind this shot and to the left.

Bill-

Would it be possible to get a current shot from this same matching perspective? I love to see photo comparisons like that, especially when they are separated by the passage of 30-40 years. It's always fascinating to see what has changed and what has remained the same over those years.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-05-2014, 12:43 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Bill-

Would it be possible to get a current shot from this same matching perspective? I love to see photo comparisons like that, especially when they are separated by the passage of 30-40 years. It's always fascinating to see what has changed and what has remained the same over those years.

Earl

Way ahead of you, baby. It might take a while. The weather has been pretty miserable here and that area at the top of the hill is the take-off point for sled riders and tubers. They've had a lot of time to spend up there this winter, so it's likely a mud bog. Next time I'm blessed with flying weather I plan to take the picture.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Way ahead of you, baby. It might take a while. The weather has been pretty miserable here and that area at the top of the hill is the take-off point for sled riders and tubers. They've had a lot of time to spend up there this winter, so it's likely a mud bog. Next time I'm blessed with flying weather I plan to take the picture.

I'd wondered about you if you said you HADN'T thought about it already....

Look forward to it when the opportunity presents.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 03-05-2014, 01:36 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I'd wondered about you if you said you HADN'T thought about it already....

Look forward to it when the opportunity presents.

Earl

The changes will be considerable. The current school is less than five years old and the gas station across the street is now a professional building. Not to mention the missing backstop and infield, and all new row of trees out by US 27.

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 03-05-2014, 09:58 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Thanks for posting this. It makes me nostalgic and I've never been there.

I'm of the opinion that the B6-4 Field needs it's own historical marker.

I love the old cars and the old-style lighting at the gas station (actually it may have been a SERVICE station back then, "ding ding").

Greg
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Thanks for posting this. It makes me nostalgic and I've never been there.

I love the old cars and the old-style lighting at the gas station (actually it may have been a SERVICE station back then, "ding ding").

Greg

Yep... I vaguely remember some gas stations like that from my youth... full service and with a mechanic shop as well... grease racks and all...

I remember those old slanted fluorescent lights, too... not every gas station had those overhead covers that every single one of them have now... lots of stations back then just had the fluorescent lights.

I remember sitting in gas lines for an hour or two back in the 79 oil embargo... got awful hot in the summer sitting in the car waiting for gas. We had even number license plates could get gas one day, and odd number plates the next day, alternating like that.

How can something that recent be "ancient history" to the kids today who just look at you like you're talking about the Dark Ages when you discuss such things... like back before the internet, before VCR's, and before satellite and cable TV, and before cell phones...

Later! OL JR
Old 03-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

Yes, but it has to be titled "B6-4 Field", not "xxxxx Park" or "xxxxx School Field".

BTW, I love looking at old school buildings. They demolished our old high school, which was a pretty grand looking building, IMHO. My class was the only class in nearly 100 years not to go to school in it before its destruction. A new high school was built and the old HS became a middle school. I was in 8th grade in another building during its last year as a high school and skipped over to the new building my freshman year. I felt slighted by missing out on the history and coolness of the three story building, large auditorium, hardwood floors, and all those cool yearbook pics of the older kids hanging out in there. Maybe that's why I seek them out when I'm out on the bike.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:38 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Yes, but it has to be titled "B6-4 Field", not "xxxxx Park" or "xxxxx School Field".

BTW, I love looking at old school buildings. They demolished our old high school, which was a pretty grand looking building, IMHO. My class was the only class in nearly 100 years not to go to school in it before its destruction. A new high school was built and the old HS became a middle school. I was in 8th grade in another building during its last year as a high school and skipped over to the new building my freshman year. I felt slighted by missing out on the history and coolness of the three story building, large auditorium, hardwood floors, and all those cool yearbook pics of the older kids hanging out in there. Maybe that's why I seek them out when I'm out on the bike.

Some punk kid burned our HS down... it had been built right after WWII-- raised hardwood floors over a crawl space, the whole works. The school had of course long outgrown the original building, and so they built additions onto it. All the later additions were of course concrete slab construction. They were talking about tearing down the old main buildings and building a new school for several months before it "mysteriously" burned down.

This punk kid, son of the woman who runs the Texas Burger (regional chain) in town, stole some keys from a coach but couldn't use them because it would trigger the magnetic door sensors that activate the alarm system-- after you unlock the doors you have 30 seconds to go down the hall and type in the correct alarm code to deactivate the system, or it calls the cops automatically. Since he didn't have the code, he couldn't use the keys. So, instead, he used a rock to break the bottom half of the sheet glass door and stepped through into the building. He poured gasoline in the principal's office area, the science wing (across from the new cafeteria) and had broken into lockers and made pyres in the hallway ostensibly to get the building hot enough to "catch"... then he lit her up. Of course once the fire burned through the hardwood flooring in the office area of the old building, it started drafting by drawing air through the crawlspace and the original building went up like a haystack. The additions suffered extensive damage from smoke and water- the pyres he built on top of the hardwood flooring in the additions had burned through them, but since they were laid directly on the concrete, they couldn't draft and basically snuffed themselves out. The old man building was a total loss, with heavy damage to the additions. They spent a year renovating the additions to salvage them, dozed the site, planted grass, and moved portables in where the main building had been, connected with sidewalks.

They had been wanting to build a NEW high school and wanted a $26 million dollar bond issue, but the voters rejected it. Then within a year the school is burned down-- coincidence?? I think not... I found out that the old main building, which was scheduled to be torn down anyway whatever plans they adopted, was full of asbestos on the pipes in the attic and crawlspace, and was going to cost them over a million bucks just to tear it down, because it'd be one of those OSHA jobs that the whole thing has to be in a negative pressure tent with guys in spacesuits doing the work. How convenient that the thing was BURNED TO THE GROUND before they had to do any of that... hmmm... then all they had to do was bulldoze the remains and haul it to the dump.

It's not the first fire in the school's history... back in the mid-60's, they wanted a new gymnasium and band hall... the voter's wouldn't approve that either, so another mysterious fire burned the old gym and band hall to the ground, and they built a temporary steel building gym/cafeteria and a steel building band hall, then built an all-new brick gymnasium that they wanted all along... HMMM....

Of course the perpetrators all got "slaps on the wrist" ie probation... HMMM...

SO, now they got their new $26 million dollar high school across the road from the old one. Last I heard, the plan was eventually to basically divide the district in half-- the north half will go to the old K-2 elementary school and 3-4 intermediate school in town, while the southern half will go K-2 at the 5-6 grade middle school and 7-8 grade junior high out on the south end of town by the high school, after they're converted to an elementary school... both schools will be K-5. 6,7, and 8 graders from in town will go to the old high school, once converted into a junior high, and 6,7, and 8 graders from the south will go to the present junior high. I think they were talking about keeping the 9th graders in the respective junior highs as well... then for 10,11, and 12 grade, both north and south kids would go together to the new high school...

Oh yeah, I see that working out GREAT...

Oh well, as a friend of mine who worked at the school with me frequently commented when we discussed the latest round of stupidity (which was almost an ongoing conversation) "small town, small minds"... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:

I'll get right on that. Where's my chisel and hammer?
Lots of personal history in this picture. My Dad went to school at Woodfill, as did my kids. The closest I came was going to summer enrichment programs where we did arts and crafts, which I remember being a lot of fun. (I wanted to do a rocketry camp one year, but they had a teacher who taught a week-long Space Camp that ended with the most wretched launch I've ever personally witnessed.) I watched a radio controlled plane plow into the side of the gym not long before or after this picture was taken. Bet I jabbered on about that for WEEKS! That gas station is the first place I ever bought cigarettes. A bunch of us pooled our money and had the tallest kid walk up and use the machine. No one batted an eye.
They tore the school down about four years ago, and believe me, it was ready for it. The district was in a tough spot. They had four buildings, all of which were in an advanced state of decay. I always found it interesting that when we travelled for football games to places other than our fellow NKY schools, everyplace we went had a new, shiny building, in most places built with tax money from NKY. No one poor-mouthed it like those people. We'd get called names because we were "rich". I invited one pud-knocker up to have a look at the schools the "rich" kids went to, but he was having too much fun talking smack about how they were going to handle our rich butts. (They didn't.) Our schools were terrible, but they're halfway through a program to rectify that. Woodfill was first, Highlands and the middle school were second, and Moyer and Johnson should be coming up soon. My sister teaches at Moyer, and I've been in Johnson. They're both pretty dire.

I miss being SAM 0058