Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQBArms
As I am talking about vB, the base simple version supports themes. No biggie, I was just asking.

I appreciate everyones help.

I didn't know the free version had it. Then again, I've never dug into vB.

Does vBulletin have free hosting like Invision Free? If it does, I might look into setting up a forum with it to see how it works and to see if it might have more features.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

I haven't been here THAT long, but find the inability to set this personal preference annoying. The color choice of white on light (or dark) blue is hard to read, particularly in high glare situations.

Back in the OLD (Jim Flis, are you reading?) days, I learned that my VT100 terminal was MUCH easier to read in reverse video mode, with a white screen and black text than the "standard" black screen with white text. I've used that mode on terminals and terminal emulators since before many of you were born. Even standard hard copy books, newspapers, etc are black text on white background.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
BAR

I've been looking around the forum for this information myself... even as I type this reply, it is MUCH easier to read the white letters on the DARK blue background than it is to read posts with white letters on the LIGHT blue background... It's pretty hard to read due to the smallish font size and the low contrast between the letter color and background color.

I was hoping that I could reset the colors to something with a higher contrast, but that doesn't seem possible. Hopefully if enough of us ask, maybe that can be added as an option for those of us who have more trouble reading the text on the light blue background than others do...

The colors are pleasing, but the white writing is too low contrast-- if it were black lettering it would be MUCH more readable and reduce eyestrain...

Could be worse... at least it's not yellow lettering on a red background... reading ANYTHING on a red background is well nigh impossible... unless you magnify it to 400 percent and scroll the page back and forth...

Contrast is a GOOD thing... OL JR
Old 12-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Forest Sprite

I happen to really like the appearance of YORF. It's distinctive, and I think that the white-on-blue text is quite kind to my eyes. My only complaint is that it puts a practical limit on the ways that I can color text in my posts. Oh, and it needs more smileys. (OK, that's two complaints.)

MarkII
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 12-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Forest Sprite

I used VT100 terminals (along with Wintel desktops, and before them, DOS) in my job with the state right up until I left in 2002. It was the same sort of display that the remote terminals connected to the Honeywell mainframe had when I was doing an internship with the State of NY back in 1981.

MarkII
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 12-13-2009, 01:00 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I happen to really like the appearance of YORF. It's distinctive, and I think that the white-on-blue text is quite kind to my eyes. My only complaint is that it puts a practical limit on the ways that I can color text in my posts. Oh, and it needs more smileys. (OK, that's two complaints.)

MarkII

So, Mark, if I could talk you and everybody else into coloring their text BLACK it would be easier to read on the light blue background...

How'd you do that anyway?? (grins)

I didn't say it wasn't pleasing-- I like the look of YORF as well! I just wish there was a little more contrast between the lettering and the background color. Like I said, it COULD be worse-- I've been on some webpages where it's darn near impossible to read ANYTHING because they chose RED for a background color with the text on top, and for some reason red tends to 'bleed out' over the text and make it hard to read. I dunno, maybe it's just MY eyes but I've noticed the effect, as has my Mom and a few other people I know...

The absolute WORST I've seen is yellow text on top of a RED background... though patterned backgrounds are almost as bad. The contrast is SO low, coupled with the 'bleed through' effect, that I could scarcely tell there was text on the page, let alone read it!

Thank goodness that YORF doesn't have tons of blinky flashy pop-up crap (smilies not included, they're cool!) and SIDEBAR junk.... MAN I HATE SIDEBARS!!! They make it SO hard to read stuff... even at nasaspaceflight.com I have to zoom in on every page to 150% to get the font large enough to read, and to shove the sidebars off the edge of the screen so the text box covers the full screen. Sadly that little trick won't work here-- zoom in much and the text box is wider than the screen...

Ce la vie... OL JR
Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Forest Sprite

No, low contrast text over a busily patterned background is by far the worst.

I don't know if I would want YORF's background to be any darker, or it could easily become too dark. Perhaps the fonts could be made a little heavier. The poster always has the ability to enlarge the text, change the font and alter the color to increase contrast, of course.

MarkII
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 12-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
The poster always has the ability to enlarge the text, change the font and alter the color to increase contrast, of course.

Except it's not an issue for the poster, it's an issue for the READER. How can I the READER of YORF change all the text so that it's black letters on white background like I read elsewhere? Of the handful of forums I occasionally visit, YORF by far is the hardest screen to read.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kaplow

Except it's not an issue for the poster, it's an issue for the READER. How can I the READER of YORF change all the text so that it's black letters on white background like I read elsewhere? Of the handful of forums I occasionally visit, YORF by far is the hardest screen to read.

Say what? Did you write something?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 AM
Forest Sprite

Bob, I was talking about the poster's ability to format the text for enhanced readability as it is being composed. I can read the posts on YORF that have the default formatting without any difficulty.

What is the point of posting a message that no one can read? If someone posts a message in a format that is unreadable, should the poster be surprised when no one responds to it?

MarkII
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011