Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 07:42 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

I'd agree with the inkjet inks being transparent, so definately don;t work well over darker base colors.
( as noted, if needing lighter top colors, I tend to buy from Phred or Tango papa ).

Regarding the note on HP inks - I have to agree, as when I first started printing my own decals ( testors paper for first 2 or 3, then bought bulk Papilio off ebay ).. I had carts in my HP printer that had been REFILLED with ink ( black refills fine, colors are hit and miss).
however, when the print head on the black cart burned out - not such a surprise, since it's been refilled 5-6 times - then I purchased a new, genuine HP cart, figuring it had better circuitry, without ever thinking about the ink being better / worse.. figured the refill ink was 'cheap' anyways.
SURPRISE.... the HP ink is definately worse, and has the cracking problem as described.

I'd reccomend, for people playing with HP. Lexmark or simila 'cheap' printers, to try different inks - there are various 'compatible' carts on the market now, ink formulations have to vary , although I can't say which will be better.

and , I have had the ' star wheel' problem as noted, not sure how to get around that :-( , especially on 'Photo' settings as Craig noted.

~ AL

( watching this thread to gain some tips myself, )
Old 10-13-2006, 08:41 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
I have had good results with my Lexmark printer (Dell branded) using Bel decal paper and haven't had the cracking problem you decribe. I have used both Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic and Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel as a sealer with about equal results. All inkjet inks are transparent, as far as I know, and only show up well on a white base.

Most of my models are just sport flyers and that's good enough for them. For something special, I would just order decals from Excelsior.

Bob, that's good news, if I ever decide to print decals. I have a Lexmark multi-function printer and use real Lexmark ink cartridges.

What print settings have you used to get good results?
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Bob, that's good news, if I ever decide to print decals. I have a Lexmark multi-function printer and use real Lexmark ink cartridges.

What print settings have you used to get good results?
I have a Lexmark all-in-one printer, scanner, copier, and fax. It says Dell on it but it's indentical to the Lexmark printers in the stores.

I have used the "Best" setting when the decals have a lot of detail and the "better" setting when they don't.

The ink cartridges I get from Dell because I get a company discount so they end up about the same price as the Lexmark cartriges at a discount store but I get them delivered and with the gas savings, I might come out ahead.

I don't get the "star wheel" problem that others seem to have so I guess I'm lucky.