Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Plans & Publications
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2006, 10:50 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Thermalite ..... the good ole' days

I used three big whips of that thermalite with teflon sheaths with a flashbulb from Robby's Rockets back in the day. He had some fantastic igniters.

I still have a few of those Robby's igniters.

Use to use them in the LOC Ultimate all the time ( think 1 x G80, 2 x G40's, 2 F-somethings and 2 E15 or D12's ....

Also of interest is the comment on the NCR versions of the 2650/2250 ( not true copies, more rip-offs of the US Rockets version ) .

I have photos of my buddies 29mm version (Sonic Seduction ?) going bye bye on three Vulcan motors - either F30's or G97's.. never seen again .

My own USRockets version was lost at our local flying site on 3 x ACS G78's , will have to see about scanning the pics, if I can borrow a scanner.
Was found by a nice elderly lady in her backyard, who called and I went to retrieve it :-)

Was later lsot for good at LDRS-6 on 3 Aerotech G65, a call later from a rancher said they found it months later ( he thought it was a fencepost laying out on the range, so never went to check on it for a while, lol ) , according to what he told me ( your milage may vary ), it was supposedly found something liek 15-20 MILES from the launch site.
I find that hard to believe, but then started wondering .... launch site is above 10,000 ft ASL.... a lightweight ( no payload section ) 2650 ( 1 1/2 - 2 lbs ?) on three G motors (130 Nsec ea = baby 'I' ) should go up ,say 4000 feet, maybe more in the thin air at Hartsell ?
don;t recall the chute, likely a 24 or 28" LOC chute , but figure it caught a thermal or something and clear the mountains ( a mile away-ish ) , now we're talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 feet ASL to come down / drift from .... still sounds far-fetched, but I've seen - in my contest flying days, an egglofter or PD bird that was up 9-10 minutes on a C6, and was still going UP on a thermal when lost sight of..... who knows.....

~ AL
Old 09-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
I still have a few of those Robby's igniters.

Use to use them in the LOC Ultimate all the time ( think 1 x G80, 2 x G40's, 2 F-somethings and 2 E15 or D12's ....

Also of interest is the comment on the NCR versions of the 2650/2250 ( not true copies, more rip-offs of the US Rockets version ) .

I have photos of my buddies 29mm version (Sonic Seduction ?) going bye bye on three Vulcan motors - either F30's or G97's.. never seen again .

I didn't know US Rockets made a 2650 - do you have the specs?

NCR's Sonic Seduction was a two-stage cluster similar to the SR2650, but the fins look to be a slightly different shape.

Sean
Old 09-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL

NCR's Sonic Seduction was a two-stage cluster similar to the SR2650, but the fins look to be a slightly different shape.

Sean

Back to the NCR Replica 2650 Reduced version. The only thing that bugged me about the kit was that the motor tubes were too short by a couple of inches (compared to the CD drawings anyway). I may have posted this photo before, but here it is again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  2650_b.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  161.2 KB  
Old 09-13-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL

Sean

Yep, the " Hi-Test 2650 " was one of US Rockets' first kits.

here's a link :

http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/2650.htm

I think I have a fin pattern someplace, but not the full-blown plans,etc. will have to dig.

you'll note the resemblance ( fin design,etc) tot he NCR version.

early USR kits had a thin-wall G12 fiberglass body tube, later ones I believe had just thick wall Ace cardboard tubing.

I do know NCR made both the 'Sonic Seduction' ( USR type 2650 ) and an actual 'clone type' 2650 as well.
guys here had the SS style, and I had the USR version ( I never had an actual 'clone' 2650 until my 2250 clone I have not flown yet, so any posts I'd mentioned flying the 2650 refer to the USR version, lol )

~ AL
Old 09-13-2006, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Back to the NCR Replica 2650 Reduced version. The only thing that bugged me about the kit was that the motor tubes were too short by a couple of inches (compared to the CD drawings anyway). I may have posted this photo before, but here it is again.

I don't recall seeing that pic before, so cool

My own 2250 is more like the NCR - using 24mm motor tubes ( but vintage FSI 2.34" tubing and cone/bulkhead) .

Still unflown , will hopefully get to fly at the ASTRE launch Oct 30th .. hopinh to get a chance to head on up there.
3 x E9-6's are still prepped and in the bird from a rained out Nepra launch, so we'll see how she flies yet :-)

~ AL
Old 09-13-2006, 06:18 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
..... Was later lsot for good at LDRS-6 on 3 Aerotech G65, a call later from a rancher said they found it months later ( he thought it was a fencepost laying out on the range, so never went to check on it for a while, lol ) , according to what he told me ( your milage may vary ), it was supposedly found something liek 15-20 MILES from the launch site.
I find that hard to believe, but then started wondering .... launch site is above 10,000 ft ASL.... a lightweight ( no payload section ) 2650 ( 1 1/2 - 2 lbs ?) on three G motors (130 Nsec ea = baby 'I' ) should go up ,say 4000 feet, maybe more in the thin air at Hartsell ?
don;t recall the chute, likely a 24 or 28" LOC chute , but figure it caught a thermal or something and clear the mountains ( a mile away-ish ) , now we're talking somewhere in the neighborhood of 15,000 feet ASL to come down / drift from .... still sounds far-fetched, but I've seen - in my contest flying days, an egglofter or PD bird that was up 9-10 minutes on a C6, and was still going UP on a thermal when lost sight of..... who knows.....

~ AL

I flew at the same Hartsel site two years later at LDRS-8, the first LDRS I ever attended. I flew a 3" dia rocket on my first J motor, single use J100-10W that I bought from Ross with Magnum right of the back of his truck. (Remember being able to just buy a J motor off the back of a truck without an act of Congress?). It cleared the mountains and I never got it back. Great altutides launching from that site. Chuck Rogers and crew tracked it to 6,912 feet before they lost site of it and the J100 was a far cry from a full J like say a J125.

Your 2650 probably touched down in the next town, really. We recovered my buddys LOC Ultimate on a mix of H125's and G25's on the other side of that highway that was past the back side of the Hartsel site and found other peoples rockets there while looking for his as well.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-13-2006, 06:26 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Aaaahhhhh Hartzell.....where the buffalo roam.......

Don
NAR 53455
Old 09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL

Great lift off shot Sean and I like the way you chose to finish it out like the original.

I always wanted to try out the NCR Replica 2650 in both the full and reduced versions but they dropped them from the catalog before I had a chance to buy them. Back then you still had FSI black powder motors available and I always wanted to fly one on (3) F100-8's and the reduced size on the FSI D18-6's.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Back in 1990 (When I was working at AeroTech) my co-worker/roomate, Scott Pearce, and I were a NAR team (Team #44, Mostly Harmless).

We were traveling all over the West/Southwest to compete in NAR sanctioned contests.

We were going to fly at a contest hosted by the Los Angeles Rocket Society (LARS, now SCRA). One of the events was Sport Scale.

Scott was never one to be 'conventional' when it came to rocketry. He wanted to enter something different for scale.

He decided on an Enerjet 2250. However, this would not be a full size model. Scott decided to reduce the size to that of a BT-55 for the main body tube and BT-20s for the motor tubes.

We had a great resource in Gary Rosenfield and his Enerjet archive.

Scott built the model (He turned the nose cone on a lathe).

I assembled the scale packet using pictures and drawings from Gary's files.

We arrived at the meet and presented the 2250 for judging. There was some confusion if the 2250 really was a 'professional' rocket. Our data packet was pretty good and the judges accepted the model.

The model was flown on three B6-6 motors. It had a perfect flight and was recovered without damage.

We took first place.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Enerjet 2250 Mini.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  185.9 KB  
Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Bob,
I LIKE your thinking when it comes to "creative" interpretation of scale rules for the Enerjet 2250 !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !