Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Your favorite of the original Goonys
Sky Shriek 4 13.33%
Cloud Hopper 7 23.33%
Star Snoop 3 10.00%
Galaxy Guppy 1 3.33%
Missile Toe 4 13.33%
Zoom Broom 3 10.00%
Goonys make me puke through my nose. 4 13.33%
What's a Goony? 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Old-Timer

Cool Re: Getting Goony

Fred at Excelsior Rocketry has the plan packs for cute 'Spoof' rockets a la Estes' attempt to do something NOT military related back when public sentiment against involvement in Viet Nam went sour. I remember that time. Sounds like something they might have to try about now...

http://www.excelsiorrocketry.com/ and click the Goony Retro Bash Tab.

I'm working (or Not...) on a Nike Goony now, although everything takes a back seat to my Mom's pacemaker visit in the hospital. She should be out today.

Fred's stuff is Great. Give him a try!

Glen A.
NAR 26298 L1
Old 02-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Craftsman

This is one of my forays into Goonydom: the Goonix. I still haven't worked up any decals for it but plan to eventually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Goonix.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  24.3 KB  
Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Cosmic American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketking
Sounds like something they might have to try about now...

Yes... that would be nice! I really want to encourage my son towards the space, science and fun qualities and not at all towards military enthusiasm.

It's awesome to see that Fred's Goony kits start with a Baby Bertha... I could build Baby and Big Berthas from here on out and be happy! I will indeed be putting forth some Goony effort soon! Much appreciated!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 PM
GET GOONY!!

Ohhh it makes me feel all... well... GOONY inside to see all these pics!

What is a Goony? Fat and short helps, but so does humor.

"Goony is as Goony does" I guess...

I have TONS more ideas for even more Goonys, a number of them scale.

Once I get some time, (ha!) I will get them out to you guys.

Until then... keep Gettin Goony!!

Phred

PS: Here is a pic of a Model I made up for NEMROC in 2005. Gee, I wonder where ESTES got the idea for their Rock-it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  134-3484_IMG.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  350.2 KB  

GET GOONY!!
Old 02-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

My daughters 5 times upscaled Zoom Broom, the Witch Candy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Candy and her finshed rocket.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  71.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Candy's Zoom Broom.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  41.1 KB  
Old 02-10-2007, 04:47 PM
CG to close to CP

I 've alwasy liked the Cloud Hopper. The Original is on the left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  cloud hopper.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  21.6 KB  
Old 02-10-2007, 04:51 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrunyon
So am I understanding correctly that there is a definitive set of factory Goonys that were labeled as such, but ANYTHING that's fat and squatty looking can be called one? Or are there more specified qualifications than that? Ok... how bout this... what makes a Fat Boy not a Goony!?!

Have you had a chance to visit the NINFINGER FILES? Sven has collected scans of nearly every Estes catalog up to 1997, and every Centuri catalog up to 1983. The original Goonies were featured for the first time in the 1973 Estes catalog, pages 16 and 17: GOONIES

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Cosmic American

Yessir, I've been looking through ninefingers a great deal, but it's taking me some time to internalize it all! My brain has been FLOODED with rockets over the last few weeks!

I was just getting confused seeing so many different pictures of Goonies people have posted and talked about on various forums, and then seen the original Estes "official" Goonies and wondered if there were any particulars that would get one either classed as or exempt from being a Goony! The only traits I have identified are short and squat with some form of freakish, often cartoonish decal set, and was wondering if there is any more to it than that... it's an interesting phenomenon!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrunyon
........I was just getting confused seeing so many different pictures of Goonies people have posted and talked about on various forums, and then seen the original Estes "official" Goonies and wondered if there were any particulars that would get one either classed as or exempt from being a Goony! The only traits I have identified are short and squat with some form of freakish, often cartoonish decal set, and was wondering if there is any more to it than that... it's an interesting phenomenon!
Well, I have to say, I think Fred Talasco (Excelsior Rocketry) may have to be credited with the start of the "Goony" craze. Basically, a Goony is any rocket that you make using a Baby Bertha kit (usually the body tube and nose cone) with the exception, of course, being the original Estes Goonies (which can be cloned from Baby bertha kits). My Goonies pictured in earlier posts were made from instructions and decals from Fred and Baby Bertha kits. And, usually, you need to supply your own fin stock. You can check out other great Goony designs by visiting Fred's web site (http://excelsiorrocketry.com/). Then, rush out and buy some Baby Berthas......

Last edited by barone : 02-11-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:31 AM
GET GOONY!!

Cool

Gee Don,

I'm blushing!!

Thanks for the kind words. As a kid, My Dad was very into scale model rockets. When the Goonies came out, I was 9. I wanted them badly, but my Dad told me that the were just marketing ploys to get kids to buy them who were not serious about model rocketry. As a result, I never had an original.....

When I became a BAR about 5 yrs ago, I started collecting and cloning the original Goonies. I quickly found out that the original 13mm birds flew to an underwhelming 100-150 feet at best. One day, I was building a Baby Bertha, and had a brainstorm.... what if I put Goblin fins on it, and painted it like the Goblin? THis worked well, and my neo-goony Retro Bash decal plansets were born. I figured that if I like them, then others would too. I do not have the room to store all of the parts to offer kits, so I decided that bashing Baby Berthas would work well.

To build one of my Retro-Bash Goonies, all you need is a Baby Bertha kit, some extra balsa (sometimes an extra nosecone too), and one of my decal/plansets. Of course, you can build your own GOONY if you ike. It can be a parody of another kit , or a just plain GOONY idea.
The only 'rule' that tends to apply, is that you need to start with a Baby Bertha kit. All of my Goonies use the Baby Bertha body tube, and most use the BB nosecone. Other than that, you can just about build a goony any way you want. I have seen a number of original designs, and the common thread is that they are fun.

One of the newer ideas, is to build a GOONY model using a Fat Boy kit. The Fat Boy BT is shorter than the Baby Bertha, so just be sure your design is stable.

As I mentioned before, I have tons of GOONY ideas flaoting around in my head. (I guess I am just a GOONY guy!) I have two scale Goonies that will be next: the Mercury Goonstone, and the Goony Shuttle. I also have plans for a Goony Mars Lander sort of thing, A Goonyceptor, A GOONY Red Baron (And a Sopwith Beagle!)... trhe list goes on and on. Some of my designs were created by nieces and nephews. They have no concept of how a rocket 'should' be, so they are very creative.

Sorry that this sorta turned into a plugg for myself, but I encourage you to create, build and just plain old GET GOONY!!

excelsiorrocketry.com (click on the 'Retro Bash) button at the top of the page.

Phred

GET GOONY!!