Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Apparently the Quest and Estes C6-5 have seriously different flight characteristics.

Yes, they do. A slightly higher initial thrust spike followed by a much lower, but much longer sustaining thrust. They are spectacular in light, clean rockets, but not so good in heavy and/or draggy ones. But I guess you found that out. Sorry....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Flight #5 was the first flight of the Photon Disruptor. Big field, so I planned to go with a Quest C6-5, just because I had a couple that Chan Stevens traded me at NARAM last year. Apparently the Quest and Estes C6-5 have seriously different flight characteristics. The flight was a big, low arch. No time for the 5 second delay to fire. Even a C6-3 would have been pushing it. The rocket impacted with the ground, and a second later the ejection charge clearly fired. I feared the worst, but when I got to the landing site, I was shocked to find the body tube barely scratched.

The nose cone is pretty badly chewed up, but I've got plastic cones that will work as a replacement. Tough bird.

I wouldn't blame it on the the Quest motors, I'd blame it on where you got those motors .

Actually, the Quest is higher initial thrust, then longer/slower burn but a smidgeon less total impulse than Estes. IIRC, though, it was German versus Chinese Quest motors I was trading for, which is a slightly different issue...

By the way, I think the term is weather[bleeping], not wind[bleeping], so maybe that's why you were getting censored .
Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
I wouldn't blame it on the the Quest motors, I'd blame it on where you got those motors .

Actually, the Quest is higher initial thrust, then longer/slower burn but a smidgeon less total impulse than Estes. IIRC, though, it was German versus Chinese Quest motors I was trading for, which is a slightly different issue...

By the way, I think the term is weather[bleeping], not wind[bleeping], so maybe that's why you were getting censored .

When the Photon Disruptor nosed in, I was standing out by the flightline watching all cinched up like everyone else was. Someone mentioned that I must have gotten a bad C6-5, and I mentioned that it was a Quest motor that I'd gotten from you. I then mentioned that I needed to kick your a## for that, (in jest, of course. ) Then a young voice beyond the flightline agreed loudly with me. Who'd you pi$$ off, bud?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 02-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking Sheesh Kabob!

Quote:
It's Carter's home-brew version of a Shrox bird. I forget what he called it, but it had something to do with the skewers on the fin tips. It was one of the birds I found after I found mine.
Here it is!:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=1973

So, I take it that Carter goes by "Zeus-cat" here on YORF.
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Here it is!:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=1973

So, I take it that Carter goes by "Zeus-cat" here on YORF.

Yeah, the Sheesh Kabob. I thought he said he first saw it as a Shrox design. He was trying to come up with a name and I tossed out Shrox without looking at the bird he was talking about. In retrospect, he was apparently talking about you. Whodathunkit?!
I forgot that he also posted here. I was talking to him on TRF earlier.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark