Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Yes I have been drinking but I am NOT driving ... well at least not a car

Are you hitting golf balls into the neighbor's pool again?
Old 02-05-2012, 09:23 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
They tattle on the "local pickup only" auctions too. Your team must have lost tonight....you're getting worked up.

No, I'm just sayin', that's all...

Local pickup only is a bit too much... BUT, if Fleabay says "we don't allow it on here", well, cest la vis... sell it on craigslist!

Team?? What are you talking about... was there a game or something on?? I don't watch sports... (except ladies figure skating... got a thing for nice legs and short skirts! )

later! OL JR
Old 02-05-2012, 09:33 PM
BAR

Quote:
Dude,

I order from hobby shops all the friggin time that are shipping me F,G, and H motors with NO, repeat NO hazmat applied! Shipping just $5 and change for 5 G's I got from one hobby shop just recently

Now how much ammunition and BP is shipped without any labels? Hmmm?

J

P.s. I love the old ads where you could buy a Browning Automatic Riffle through the mail! God I would love to own a B.A.R.! Yes I have been drinking but I am NOT driving ... well at least not a car

Meh... okay... Me-sa give up (in Jar-Jar Binks voice) LOL (ducking tomatoes thrown from the peanut gallery).

Wouldn't mind having a BAR. That'd be cool...

I just find it rather amusing, this discussion... "If all your friends were jumping off a cliff, would you jump off too?" comes to mind.

Everbody complains about the jackbooted thugs running this country coming down on folks with an iron fist, but then they go around doing stuff like this, and ADVERTISING IT, to draw unwanted attention and inflame the situation... can't have it both ways, boys...

I'd have thought having just finished ONE BIG FIGHT with the gubmint over 'stupid stuff' would have been enough. Just having the DOT wanting to eliminate the shipping exemptions on small motors awhile back was enough to get everybody riled up and sending form letters to their HQ... even got NAR involved and calling for a groundswell of support.

Now that we have them off our neck FOR AWHILE, lotsa folks want to wave off concerns about doing things the right way, and trying to keep from giving them a reason to stomp on us again... maybe next time a LOT worse...

Next time you get pulled over for speeding, try pointing out that EVERYBODY ELSE IS DOING IT on the freeway and speeding too, and see how far that gets you... "Yeah, but *I CAUGHT YOU!*"... LOL

I don't get it... but then it sorta reinforces my general conclusion that the human race sucks...
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Meh... okay... Me-sa give up (in Jar-Jar Binks voice) LOL (ducking tomatoes thrown from the peanut gallery).

Wouldn't mind having a BAR. That'd be cool...

I just find it rather amusing, this discussion... "If all your friends were jumping off a cliff, would you jump off too?" comes to mind.

Everbody complains about the jackbooted thugs running this country coming down on folks with an iron fist, but then they go around doing stuff like this, and ADVERTISING IT, to draw unwanted attention and inflame the situation... can't have it both ways, boys...

I'd have thought having just finished ONE BIG FIGHT with the gubmint over 'stupid stuff' would have been enough. Just having the DOT wanting to eliminate the shipping exemptions on small motors awhile back was enough to get everybody riled up and sending form letters to their HQ... even got NAR involved and calling for a groundswell of support.

Now that we have them off our neck FOR AWHILE, lotsa folks want to wave off concerns about doing things the right way, and trying to keep from giving them a reason to stomp on us again... maybe next time a LOT worse...

Next time you get pulled over for speeding, try pointing out that EVERYBODY ELSE IS DOING IT on the freeway and speeding too, and see how far that gets you... "Yeah, but *I CAUGHT YOU!*"... LOL

I don't get it... but then it sorta reinforces my general conclusion that the human race sucks...

Good points ... I have yet to be a snitch-bitch on the shops that have shipped nor the ebay sellers that have shipped motors... one of these days I should just to keep me on the right side of things.

I did have people tell me that when I sent them motors, I was breaking the law, so I don't do it anymore! No seriously, I will not ship motors because I don't want to be the one that causes the house of cards to fall on all of us!

I would ASSUME that when I place an order with an on-line retailer they will ship within the proper laws?!

J
Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Est...252177923202796

or

http://tinyurl.com/77argz7

With 12 min left, its at $92.99 ... I have 3 - 4 of these and would sell to both for $50.00 each!

J
Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Est...252177923202796

or

http://tinyurl.com/77argz7

With 12 min left, its at $92.99 ... I have 3 - 4 of these and would sell to both for $50.00 each!

J

Fools and their money......

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Fools and their money......

+1...

Oh well... that's the thing though... I'd rather they have the right to squander their money rather than have some idiot that "knows better" REDISTRIBUTE it for them...

I've gotten into arguments with folks foaming at the mouth about illegals working jobs here and then sending the money back home to Mexico to support their families or whatever... I'm like "SO what?? They've EARNED the money if they're working on a job (I've worked a few of those type jobs myself and I PROMISE you they earn every penny!) That money is THEIRS now to do with as THEY PLEASE... if that includes sending it back to Mexico to keep the wife and six kids in food and shoes, so be it... If we don't want them doing that, then we need to stop them from coming here in the first place..."

Later! OL JR
Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Out to launch...

Yet another case of the clueless...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Semroc-Mode...d#ht_500wt_1287
Old 02-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
Yet another case of the clueless...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Semroc-Mode...d#ht_500wt_1287

If it had been constructed and finished as well as the ones I've seen at some of our launches, then $50 might be reasonable ... but ....

Chris Michielssen (hcmbanjo) has talked about selling some of his finished kits on eBay - if only because he's running out of room to store them! His work is extraordinary and I could see people paying a premium for one of his models.

We have a couple of models that Chris built. When he's not around, I try to take credit for them. But, no one ever believes me. :-)

-- Roger
Old 02-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad ebox
If it had been constructed and finished as well as the ones I've seen at some of our launches, then $50 might be reasonable ... but ....
That's kinda how it struck me, too. 50 bucks starting bid didn't seem too outrageous, but certainly high (for this already-built kit).

That is, there is a market for decently made model rockets. There are folks with 10 brown thumbs who like to own and fly nice models, too, and will pay for assembled kits But I don't think the market prices will ever rise to the actual cost levels.

If you have an artisan who is very quick and efficient with his time, he's still gonna have several hours in a kit like that. A couple hours of his time will quickly consume the 50 bucks. In other words, even with a mediocre finish, from a cost perspective, you can easily make a case for charging 50 bucks and more.

But from a value perspective, most of us here will agree that 50 bucks is kinda high, especially for an opening bid price.

My experience is that it's more art than anything else, so the value is as much in the name as it is in the craftsmanship. If 10 guys built identically finished, quality birds, 9 of them would lose money, and the 10th guy, whose name was Michelangelo or da Vinci or Michielssen would command a disproportionately high figure because of the name.

Maybe that's why I'm not rich yet. I don't have a name. Maybe I'll change mine to Texas Legend Doug Sams Think that'll help?

Doug

YORF member #11