Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Swap Shoppe > Wanted: Dead or Alive!
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Ted Mahler

Default Looking for launcher parts & info

Two things I'd like to find;

1) An old 2 piece, uncoated with bronze, steel Estes launch rod. I think the top part was slightly larger than the bottom part so it can be inserted without a roll-pin.

2) Dimensions for the pieces in the old Estes launch tower kit. I would like to clone it but I don't have dimensions for the parts. Maybe I could even afford an old tower.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster
Two things I'd like to find;

1) An old 2 piece, uncoated with bronze, steel Estes launch rod. I think the top part was slightly larger than the bottom part so it can be inserted without a roll-pin.

2) Dimensions for the pieces in the old Estes launch tower kit. I would like to clone it but I don't have dimensions for the parts. Maybe I could even afford an old tower.

1. I don't remember an Estes rod being made that way, but I do have a couple of Centuri rods where a smaller solid top section inserts in the 1/8" bottom section. I didn't get into the hobby until the 70's, though. Keep an eye on eBay for old range boxes. They often have rods in them.

2. Are you referring to the old MMI launch tower? I don't recall Estes having a tower.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Ted Mahler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
1. I don't remember an Estes rod being made that way, but I do have a couple of Centuri rods where a smaller solid top section inserts in the 1/8" bottom section. I didn't get into the hobby until the 70's, though. Keep an eye on eBay for old range boxes. They often have rods in them.

2. Are you referring to the old MMI launch tower? I don't recall Estes having a tower.

I'm looking for the rod for a friend. He writes, "You can verify this by looking at Estes catalog #641 on the bottom of page 53. There is a drawing of the two piece rod and below it the "add on rod" to make your rod from 36 inches to 54 inches long. You can see the 1/8 inch rod is drilled to 3/32 inch on the end to fit the 3/32 inch rod."

As for 2, it probably was a MMI product but when I wrote Estes back in 1968 about launch systems they send me, among other info, the obsolete instructions I have scanned and included with this post. This tower has "personality!" I have always wanted one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Launching Tower 001.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  113.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Launching Tower 002.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  122.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Launching Tower 003.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  141.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Launching Tower 004.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  123.3 KB  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 PM
CG to close to CP

Quote:
I'm looking for the rod for a friend. He writes, "You can verify this by looking at Estes catalog #641 on the bottom of page 53. There is a drawing of the two piece rod and below it the "add on rod" to make your rod from 36 inches to 54 inches long. You can see the 1/8 inch rod is drilled to 3/32 inch on the end to fit the 3/32 inch rod."

The add on rod I got, back in the late 60's was a standard rod, that had the roll pin in one end, and the other end was drilled to accept the roll pin from the "top" section of the standard 2 piece rod. I may still have that here will have to look at all my rods.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Well, Ted, you've piqued my interest in this

Are you sure they had a stepped diameter rod? (Or is your friend sure?)

I had the 2-piece (circa 69) and also the extension. And the elongated rod was the same diameter the entire length with roll pins joining the sections.

Looking at the 64, 66 and 69 catalogs, the 64 and 66 each have much the same description for the 2-piece rod and also for the extension, but the 69 pics clearly show the same diameters. I'm wondering if the earlier catalogs simply had poor descriptions and bad illustrations rather than there being one entire rod section actually having a smaller diameter.

But I could be wrong...

Doug
YORF member #11
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Master Modeler

As I recall, the MPC and FSI pads used "stepped" rods.

Data Point:

An early (mid 60s) Model Rocket News had a tip on how to solder together loose two-part launch rods. The rod depicted used a pin, and the pieces looked the same diameter.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

As for 2, it probably was a MMI product but when I wrote Estes back in 1968 about launch systems they send me, among other info, the obsolete instructions I have scanned and included with this post. This tower has "personality!" I have always wanted one.

It looks like the MMI tower to me.
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/atta...achmentid=14222
Old 01-11-2012, 09:46 PM
CG to close to CP

I found my extension, not quite true anymore, slight bend, and the roll pin is broken off. I did find my C-rails though, I have it setup so I can use it on my Mantis pad. Only rocket that I have setup to use it are my original Saturn V, and Cobra. I also have the Centuri power pad launcher, and it is a stepped rod.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Ted Mahler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Well, Ted, you've piqued my interest in this

Are you sure they had a stepped diameter rod? (Or is your friend sure?)

I had the 2-piece (circa 69) and also the extension. And the elongated rod was the same diameter the entire length with roll pins joining the sections.

Looking at the 64, 66 and 69 catalogs, the 64 and 66 each have much the same description for the 2-piece rod and also for the extension, but the 69 pics clearly show the same diameters. I'm wondering if the earlier catalogs simply had poor descriptions and bad illustrations rather than there being one entire rod section actually having a smaller diameter.

But I could be wrong...

Doug

I was doubtful in the two diameter rods also Doug, still am, having never seen one. But he says the rods did exist on the old wood electro launch systems. He also says they were uncoated steel and often rusted up pretty fast. He has been flying since 1964 which predates my involvement in rocketry by 4 years. So I thought I would ask you experts! Also Vern was pretty exacting in those old catalogs
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 PM
CG to close to CP

This page of the 64 catalog, page 50, shows a stepped rod on a launcher. I was not aware that Estes had done this!
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...64/64est50.html