Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Ooh - just thought of another - a booster version of the micromaxx II!!!
I suspect, with its tiny nozzle, that staging micromaxx motors would present the same hard-to-light issues that the Apogee micro motors were apparently known for.

I have a little stash of them, and actually built a rocket for the B2-0 to B-9 motors, but have never had the chutzpah to fly it, mostly out of fear it would be lost (out of sight). Concern for lighting the sustainer was secondary. But I did pick up some of Apogee's staging ignitors to use with it, in case I get ever get back around to it.

Personally, my priority for new BP motors is high thrust boosters: B14-0, C20-0, D30-0, E40-0, etc. These would solve lots of my staging problems.

Interestingly enough, in another recent thread here, a 3-stage Centuri bird was being discussed. The directions called out only one motor to be used in the 1st stage (of 3-stages flights): the B14-0.

Doug
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Forest Sprite

I might be alone on this, but I'd kind of like to see some of the Type III motors again. I know that the 13mm T motors were supposed to represent an updated version of the Type III's. I can't help but think, though, that with the same length and a larger diameter (hence a larger BP slug), you could engineer some of them with higher total impulses than the you have with current mini motors. Booster motors with the Type III design might even stage more reliably than the minis because of the larger diameter.

Add my voice to the multitude calling for a return of 13mm booster motors, too, though. During an Old Motors Evaluation launch last summer, I had a chance to launch a Midget Mini-Brute on an A3-0T - 1/2A3-4T combo, and it turned in a great flight.

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Ooh - just thought of another - a booster version of the micromaxx II!!!

Greg

Not to be contrary, but there are times when I wish I had a PLUGGED version of the micromaxx II.

Mark
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
I suspect, with its tiny nozzle, that staging micromaxx motors would present the same hard-to-light issues that the Apogee micro motors were apparently known for.

I have a little stash of them, and actually built a rocket for the B2-0 to B-9 motors, but have never had the chutzpah to fly it, mostly out of fear it would be lost (out of sight). Concern for lighting the sustainer was secondary. But I did pick up some of Apogee's staging ignitors to use with it, in case I get ever get back around to it.

Personally, my priority for new BP motors is high thrust boosters: B14-0, C20-0, D30-0, E40-0, etc. These would solve lots of my staging problems.

Interestingly enough, in another recent thread here, a 3-stage Centuri bird was being discussed. The directions called out only one motor to be used in the 1st stage (of 3-stages flights): the B14-0.

Doug

B14's = automation
Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

Doug

And they don't even have the A8-0 anymore where they could be clustered to the near equivalent of a B16. Of course a cluster won't work in small diameter booster stages.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Not to be contrary, but there are times when I wish I had a PLUGGED version of the micromaxx II.

Mark

That ain't contrary - that's brilliant!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I might be alone on this, but I'd kind of like to see some of the Type III motors again. I know that the 13mm T motors were supposed to represent an updated version of the Type III's. I can't help but think, though, that with the same length and a larger diameter (hence a larger BP slug), you could engineer some of them with higher total impulses than the you have with current mini motors.
Pssst, Mark,

You can fly them now. What you're describing is the current A8-3, A8-5 and B6-0. Just saw them off at 1.75" and you'll have type III's aka shorties. My K-40 Midget clone has flown on a B6-0S to A8-5S combo, and it was great!

Doug

Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Pssst, Mark,

You can fly them now. What you're describing is the current A8-3, A8-5 and B6-0. Just saw them off at 1.75" and you'll have type III's aka shorties. My K-40 Midget clone has flown on a B6-0S to A8-5S combo, and it was great!

Doug

[Shush!]

Hey, Doug!

Just between you, me and the lamppost, I kinda knew that already. I also have a K-40 clone all done, and I've got a K-45 Beta clone in the works; both are "for display only," if you catch my drift. But since the man asked, why not put it out there? So keep this under your hat. Ixnay.

Remember: this conversation never happened. Trust no one.

[Quiet, now; someone's coming...]

Mark
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-25-2008, 06:00 AM
Master Modeler

Let's come up with a list of the 10 most requested BP motors that we all can agree upon, and hopefully, motor manufacturers will take the lead and produce them. (at affordable prices)
I will start the list with the following
B14's
C5's
mini boosters
Lower power boosters
Old 01-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

OK, How about making the C6 engines a full C impulse? Same with the D12. What is so magical about the 2.75" length?

High thrust E and F
A new version of the F7