Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Master Modeler

Default Sandable Primer- Krylon Responds

I received a email reply regarding primers, here is what they had to say.

Dupli-Color would be a better line to go with, considering your particular needs. If you need a filling product that is sandable, then their Premium Sandable Filler Primer is a good choice.. It's available in Grey (FP-101)and Red Oxide (FP-102) . They also have their Premium Sandable Primer Surfacer that is good for filling surface cracks and inperfections. That line is available in White, Black, and the other two mentioned above.

Here's a link to the Dupli-Color website.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/primer.html

Now these products are intended primarily for metal, so I can't say for sure if they will work for the other surfaces you need to coat,but they can tell you for sure.

Eric

The above messade was from Krylom customer service.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Dazed and Confused

The upside to that is Wally World carries Dupli-Color in their automotive dept. It seems like there's a Wally World in almost every town these days. The downside is that Dupli-Color is pretty expensive compared to the cheap lacquer primer I used to get.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:47 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
They also have their Premium Sandable Primer Surfacer that is good for filling surface cracks and inperfections. That line is available in White, Black, and the other two mentioned above.

Here's a link to the Dupli-Color website.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/primer.html

That's good to know. I'll try to find a can to see if that is equivalent to Plastikote's Spot Filler.

Thanks for the research, Ken!
Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylom customer service said...
Dupli-Color would be a better line to go with...
Seeing such an overt endorsement of another brand made me wonder. So I went to Dupli-Color's website, and sure enough, they're a division of Sherwin-Williams just like Krylon. The Krylon guys are plugging their sister brand.

There's an old saying in business that everything shrinks to 3 key players, so I suspect lots of the paint brands we know can be traced back to just few "mother" companies. I know that Zinsser is a sister brand to Rust-Oleum, Boyd's is a Testor's product, and Aero-Gloss is a Midwest brand.

Doug
Old 09-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Just so happens I went looking at primer today in some auto parts stores. The cheapest Dupli-Color Filler Primer I saw was $4.64 a can. My local Wal-Mart has chosen to stop stocking automotive paints. So, I guess I'm going to stick with the Kilnz.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:45 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Seeing such an overt endorsement of another brand made me wonder. So I went to Dupli-Color's website, and sure enough, they're a division of Sherwin-Williams just like Krylon. The Krylon guys are plugging their sister brand.

Doug

I remember from way back in 1990, Ron Schultz (former owner of LOC/Precision) put out a video tape of him building an Onyx. He specifically recommended Sherwin-Williams spray primer and paint, then in some computer forum later he mentioned that the Wal-Mart store brand paint was the same stuff. At that time, Krylon was owned by Bordens, I think. I remember SW buying them, but I didn't know they also had Dupli-Color.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:28 PM
The_Ripper

Default Brite Touch

Roy, I remember that video .....

I use the Brite Touch BT49 Gray Primer from Pep Boys. It's made by Dupli-Color and it's about a buck a can less expensive from the Dupli-Color branded stuff. I moved over to this last summer as I was having problems with the Kilz and Krylon drying in the frequent Gulf Coast humidity we have here in Southern Louisiana.

I've noticed they carry it in a Gray and a Red but I've never seen it in White. I wish it came in White so I could spray fluorescent top coats directly over it without having to use a white paint first.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Roy, I remember that video .....

I use the Brite Touch BT49 Gray Primer from Pep Boys. It's made by Dupli-Color and it's about a buck a can less expensive from the Dupli-Color branded stuff. I moved over to this last summer as I was having problems with the Kilz and Krylon drying in the frequent Gulf Coast humidity we have here in Southern Louisiana.

I've noticed they carry it in a Gray and a Red but I've never seen it in White. I wish it came in White so I could spray fluorescent top coats directly over it without having to use a white paint first.

I've had good luck with Krylon white primer under flourescent paints even back east with fairly high humidity. Probably not as bad as LA though.
On a side note, I had a NCR Orbit that I flew in the white prime only on a Vulcan E60 something-or-other. It was late afternoon, and that rocket *glowed* all the way up and back. Really neat to watch - decent altitude too. Steve- you wouldn't happen to have the numbers to run for a V. E60, would you? I'd be curious to get an estimate on the altitude.

Sean
Old 09-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Just so happens I went looking at primer today in some auto parts stores. The cheapest Dupli-Color Filler Primer I saw was $4.64 a can. My local Wal-Mart has chosen to stop stocking automotive paints. So, I guess I'm going to stick with the Kilnz.

Have you TRIED the ColorPlace primer? It's less than a buck... try it on a cheap model. Just remember, you do need to apply it a bit heavier than Kilz since the latter lays down a thicker coat. For that matter, Kilz sells two grades of primer, one in the over-$3 price range and one just a bit more than $2 a can. I haven't tried the lower-priced Kilz primer since I discovered Miracal before Wal-Mart started carrying it.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 09-13-2007, 03:55 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
That's good to know. I'll try to find a can to see if that is equivalent to Plastikote's Spot Filler.

Thanks for the research, Ken!

Roy

And, as you noticed, Krylon didn't mention anything about their brand of primers not being sandable, and I asked.

And, for those who think because Krylon is mentioned it;s an endorsement, it's not, just the fact alot of us use Krylon.

And, like I have mentioned over and over again. rougepunk would be the guy to PM and find out his painting techniques.

F YI If you did research into many products, and who manufactured them, you would be amazed about the results.

Many, many years ago, my father worked in an orange juice packing plant in California, they packed for 13 different brands, all from the same source.