Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Master Modeler

Not that I'm not flattered by your "cyber-stalking" of my posts but are you saying that only those that like to showoff their "accomplishments" have post that are deserving of any true merit?

As far as I'm concerned, yes.

First of all, that would disqualify the majority of users here or any other forum.

Not really, you are in the minority. I have a great deal of respect for 90% of the folks on the forums. Even people whose VALUES I disagree with have proven themselves as modelers and worthy of my respect within the field of rocketry. You just come into threads and make little quips about stuff and don't contribute to the hobby from what i can see. Post a picture of an Estes Alpha III that you built and flew and you will earn 50 out of 100 points with me.

Secondly, are you saying that I wasn't entitled to my opinion - "why not use the YORA?" - because I have never showed you that I had built or flown anything?

Yeah, because you come across as a know-it-all who can't present a diploma. What have YOU put up for auction or purchased?

Dude, seriously?

Yes.

Perhaps you're feeling a little guilty or something, I don't know, but that demand is beneath you.

Guilty? I just don't get that one...

This is my last post on the subject (for real this time).
If you feel the need to "let me have it" one more time,
go for it - and go in peace.

Good, bye.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Red Max
Yeah, that's what I said.
But - you used a "buy it now" which meant you were trying to reach just the ONE buyer not the most buyers as in a regular auction.

How could you be so sure?

Ok, but free is free...

In the end, if it doesn't sell here than you've lost nothing (except a couple of days) and then you can post it on eBay.

Oh well, it's your kit and I'm sure you're happy with the transaction.
Personally, if I wasn't going to lose anything by keeping it "with in the family", I would've gone that route but that's me, I'm considerate that way. j/k!

Question is: IS YORS a viable area to move kits in quantities and prices like that of ebay?

Bob
Old 03-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Red Max
Not that I'm not flattered by your "cyber-stalking" of my posts but are you saying that only those that like to showoff their "accomplishments" have post that are deserving of any true merit?
First of all, that would disqualify the majority of users here or any other forum.
Secondly, are you saying that I wasn't entitled to my opinion - "why not use the YORA?" - because I have never showed you that I had built or flown anything?
Dude, seriously?
Perhaps you're feeling a little guilty or something, I don't know, but that demand is beneath you.
This is my last post on the subject (for real this time).
If you feel the need to "let me have it" one more time,
go for it - and go in peace.

DRM,

I wouldn't use YORA to sell my items because there just isn't the volume and exposure here as you find on ebay. I don't know why as I am sure there would be a lot of heated bidding and interesting collisions of egos over YORA auctions, but ebay is still the best bet to get what you want or rare items. Sometimes we see incredible high and low ending prices, but overall, I believe most of ebay rocket auctions to reflect the REAL value of what ever the item is as the given time of the auction ending.

Like I said, some guy buys an Enerjet kit for $450 then 5 years later his auction closes for $244. The 'REAL' value actually lies somewhere around $350... maybe closer to $400 or $300, but you have to get the highs and the lows before you can start to say with any confidence , what something is worth.

Then there are newbie ignorant model rocket sellers that see a rocket close for some incredibly high amount and then REALLY believe that the kit is actually worth the closing price; like the A20 Demon. It was worth $200 to Jimi for personal reasons, but God all mighty, for its rarity value, it was very high.

And we all know that YORS people are 'in-the-know' and won't bid ridiculous prices unless there is a special need; as was shown in that A-20 Demon that sold for $200.00. I would spend $200 for the "K" but NOT for the "Skill Level" packaging, but hey that is just me.

Bob
Old 03-30-2009, 07:36 PM
7/21/61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker01
... overall, I believe most of ebay rocket auctions to reflect the REAL value of what ever the item is as the given time of the auction ending.

Bob,

I agree. There is the occasional outrageous high or low but for the most part stuff sells within a pretty consistent range for that kit.

I'm curious what effect, if any, you think hiding buyer identities has had on prices.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Bob,

I agree. There is the occasional outrageous high or low but for the most part stuff sells within a pretty consistent range for that kit.

I'm curious what effect, if any, you think hiding buyer identities has had on prices.

Gus,

It has been a God send; the ability to conduct business without harassment from other bidders/sellers keeps the sanity.

People are fundamental no matter what their political-economic stratum. They don't like it when they are out bid in the last few seconds for something they have set their hearts on. It can and does get nasty between competitors and I feel that the policy that ebay now operates under, is great for the buyers. I don't want to know what you are bidding on, so why should you know what I have.

OH, and to answer your question, no affect at all. The buying and selling of 'collector' rockets is going strong. Seen several auctions close for multiple 100's of dollars over the last 60 days.

Little story to share:

Antique shop back in the late 90's... open and complete near mint Centuri Black Box Saturn V under a glass display case next to some 1900 baseball cigarette cards. Price on the Saturn , $20.00, while price on the baseball cards $1200.00.

Needless to say I walked out of there with the Saturn for %15 less the asking price on the Saturn; some special discount... that same booth had a signed T-38 Talon print offered at Williams AFB and signed by WWII Hero, Grep 'Pappy' Boyington ... paid $80 for that minus the %15.

I remember because of the Boyington acqusition... I was VERY proud to own this collectible by this REAL American hero. Most of the celebrities of today are complete and utter crap. I have to look back 30, 40, 1000+ years to find people that I truly admire and respect. Greg Boyington is one of those people:

Boyington died of cancer on January 11, 1988 at the age of 75 in Fresno, California.

He was buried in Arlington National Cemetery on January 15, 1988, in plot 7A-150 with full honors accorded to a Medal of Honor recipient, including a missing man fly-by conducted by the F-4 Phantom IIs of the Marine detachment at Andrews Air Force Base. Before his flight from Fresno, California, VMA-214 (the current incarnation of the Black Sheep Squadron) did a flyby. They intended to do a missing man formation, but one of the four aircraft suffered a mechanical problem.

After the burial service for Boyington, one of his friends, Fred Losch, looked down at the headstone that he was standing next to, the boxing legend Joe Louis, "Ol' Pappy wouldn't have to go far to find a good fight."

Sorry to be so long winded but now you know the rest of the story

Bob
Old 03-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
In ferret terms, grabbing a good deal and stashing it away under the couch is more like it!

ROTFL! Exactly right, too!

Any new kits in the works, Scott?
I know it is hard to one-up the Odyssey and the Fake-Wolfe kits, as they are fantastic...as is your service.
Just wondering (I do that every so often!)
Hope to start on my wolfe real soon!
Allen