Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2015, 03:03 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Composite motors

This sounds promising. As far as it being vaporware, we know that the product is being produced in Europe, so that there is a good chance it could make it over here.
Dumb question: will these motors come with ejection charges? I guess if a delay is indicated in the motor designation they will have ejection charges.
As a mid-power rocketeer, thee motors will be greatly appreciated.
timmwood
Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver
Most of the stuff is still under construction. But the pad and the launch controller is almost in final stage. So I guess we´ll see them available in summer this year. For both, the quality is even better than the Quest stuff, and the price is less.

Oliver
Thank you for posting the photographs, Oliver! I'd love to buy Klima motors, but their rocket kits, launch pad, and launch controller also interest me. Does the launch pad use a 3 mm diameter launch rod, or a 1/8" one? (Either one will work with 1/8" launch lugs.)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

They got UN and CE approvals over there neither of which directly translate here because our DOT is so byzantine.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:13 PM
I do not like Facebook

I hope I am proven wrong, but I do not think AeroQuest will ever import those motors.

I further hope that someone else can pull it off.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-19-2015, 10:31 PM
I do not like Facebook

Default And now for something pretty different???

Since the game is sort of being reinvented, maybe it is time to rethink the current delay element and ejection charge configuration...

Current BP motors have integral delay elements and ejection charges. You buy a motor with a specified delay time or 0 for a booster motor. It is against the rules to modify it.

With the advent of reloadable motors, a precedent has been set for packing a separate ejection charge to be loaded by the end user.

Why not sell a motor with an integral maximum-length delay element and a separately packaged ejection charge. Sell a companion tool to adjust that delay by drilling or shaving. Of course, this tool would have to be somewhat complex because the first step of using it is to register it onto the forward end of the motor casing and index a cutting head onto the forward end of the delay element. Then the user can dial in the amount to shorten the delay and make it so. Finally, pour in the ejection charge and secure it with small ball of wadding or a cardboard cap. Serious rocketeers and competitors will eat this up.

For mass market casual use, traditional fixed delay motors can be certified and sold.

If not Klima, then how about some time down the road from eRockets with the Semroc motor machine?

There, I said it.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 02-19-2015, 10:45 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I hope I am proven wrong, but I do not think AeroQuest will ever import those motors.

I further hope that someone else can pull it off.

Bill

Why import a competitor's product?? with the "Aero-Quest" merger thing, I figured that all that talk about larger black powder vaporware motors and the Klima motors was all history.

I hope someone else grabs up their line and starts importing them... I'd buy some...

Later! OL JR
Old 02-19-2015, 10:58 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Since the game is sort of being reinvented, maybe it is time to rethink the current delay element and ejection charge configuration...

Current BP motors have integral delay elements and ejection charges. You buy a motor with a specified delay time or 0 for a booster motor. It is against the rules to modify it.

With the advent of reloadable motors, a precedent has been set for packing a separate ejection charge to be loaded by the end user.

Why not sell a motor with an integral maximum-length delay element and a separately packaged ejection charge. Sell a companion tool to adjust that delay by drilling or shaving. Of course, this tool would have to be somewhat complex because the first step of using it is to register it onto the forward end of the motor casing and index a cutting head onto the forward end of the delay element. Then the user can dial in the amount to shorten the delay and make it so. Finally, pour in the ejection charge and secure it with small ball of wadding or a cardboard cap. Serious rocketeers and competitors will eat this up.

For mass market casual use, traditional fixed delay motors can be certified and sold.

If not Klima, then how about some time down the road from eRockets with the Semroc motor machine?

There, I said it.

Bill

Not sure that'd be possible with black powder motor construction... the delay grain is a slower-burning type of powder that's all pressed at the same time with the fast-burning propellant grain and the nozzle. The ejection charge is looser fast-burning powder pressed in on top with a clay cap.

When a -0 BP motor burns through, the propellant burns down until it's a thin disk, thinner and thinner, until it cannot contain the pressure inside the motor any longer, and it fractures and blows out the front as bits of flaming BP and the pressurized flaming gas that was below the propellant disk but hadn't been ejected through the nozzle yet. This flaming gas is pressurized at about 70-90 PSI or thereabouts, depending on the operating pressure of the motor.

In a standard delay-type BP motor, the delay grain in front of it forms a "plug" that keeps the disk of thinning propellant from bursting, and the pressure contained. The propellant burns out and the slower burning delay grain continues to burn, ignited by the propellant. Because it burns slower, the pressure is negligible in the casing between the bottom of the burning delay grain and the nozzle through which the hot gas is escaping, therefore virtually no thrust is created. As the delay grain burns forward, eventually the flame front reaches the fast burning powder of the ejection charge, which then goes BOOM and pushes out the laundry.

For an "adjustable delay" black powder motor, you'd have to either have a delay grain material that could be epoxied into the casing of a -0 motor, or you'd have to press the delay grain material into the casing with the propellant grain, and then "drill it" to the proper depth. I don't think drilling a slow-burning BP delay grain would be advisable, no more so than drilling cores through the fast burning propellant grain to make ported motors like the B14... Rather a lot of risk. Maybe if you made the delay grain out of the same type of material used in composite motors, and either cast it in place in the top of the motor above the propellant grain, then THAT could be drilled... but that raises another question-- would it be capable of holding back the pressurized hot gases of the propellant disk as the motor burns out, without the cast-in delay grain not being ejected out the front of the motor casing by the hot, flaming, pressurized gas below it between it and the nozzle just before burnout?? It would require experimentation to determine if it were possible... Remember RMS motors use a forward closure to keep everything together and withstand the pressure. A BP motor casing has no such forward closure, and relies strictly on mechanical strength and bonding of the propellant/delay grain materials to the casing itself to resist the pressure from inside the combustion chamber (between the propellant or delay burning face and the nozzle exit).

Once you get into that level of complexity, you might as well just go with a composite motor and be done with it IMHO...

I don't see the manufacturer's ever putting themselves up for the kinds of liability issues such a system would have, either...

Later! OL JR
Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Not sure that'd be possible with black powder motor construction... the delay grain is a slower-burning type of powder that's all pressed at the same time with the fast-burning propellant grain and the nozzle. The ejection charge is looser fast-burning powder pressed in on top with a clay cap.

When a -0 BP motor burns through, the propellant burns down until it's a thin disk, thinner and thinner, until it cannot contain the pressure inside the motor any longer, and it fractures and blows out the front as bits of flaming BP and the pressurized flaming gas that was below the propellant disk but hadn't been ejected through the nozzle yet. This flaming gas is pressurized at about 70-90 PSI or thereabouts, depending on the operating pressure of the motor.

In a standard delay-type BP motor, the delay grain in front of it forms a "plug" that keeps the disk of thinning propellant from bursting, and the pressure contained. The propellant burns out and the slower burning delay grain continues to burn, ignited by the propellant. Because it burns slower, the pressure is negligible in the casing between the bottom of the burning delay grain and the nozzle through which the hot gas is escaping, therefore virtually no thrust is created. As the delay grain burns forward, eventually the flame front reaches the fast burning powder of the ejection charge, which then goes BOOM and pushes out the laundry.

For an "adjustable delay" black powder motor, you'd have to either have a delay grain material that could be epoxied into the casing of a -0 motor, or you'd have to press the delay grain material into the casing with the propellant grain, and then "drill it" to the proper depth. I don't think drilling a slow-burning BP delay grain would be advisable, no more so than drilling cores through the fast burning propellant grain to make ported motors like the B14... Rather a lot of risk. Maybe if you made the delay grain out of the same type of material used in composite motors, and either cast it in place in the top of the motor above the propellant grain, then THAT could be drilled... but that raises another question-- would it be capable of holding back the pressurized hot gases of the propellant disk as the motor burns out, without the cast-in delay grain not being ejected out the front of the motor casing by the hot, flaming, pressurized gas below it between it and the nozzle just before burnout?? It would require experimentation to determine if it were possible... Remember RMS motors use a forward closure to keep everything together and withstand the pressure. A BP motor casing has no such forward closure, and relies strictly on mechanical strength and bonding of the propellant/delay grain materials to the casing itself to resist the pressure from inside the combustion chamber (between the propellant or delay burning face and the nozzle exit).

Once you get into that level of complexity, you might as well just go with a composite motor and be done with it IMHO...

I don't see the manufacturer's ever putting themselves up for the kinds of liability issues such a system would have, either...

Later! OL JR

Nice!
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2015, 10:36 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketflyer
Nice!

Thanks... Later! OL JR