Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default What is biggest Body Tube they make for A-D size rockets?

What are some of the sizes of the bigger body tubes for the A-D size rockets, I want to upscale a Viper and I'm thinking about building a scratch X-Wing fighter from Star Wars for my sons. I was thinking of use Foam Board for the fuselage of the X-Wing, has anyone here done anything like this?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruster
What are some of the sizes of the bigger body tubes for the A-D size rockets, I want to upscale a Viper and I'm thinking about building a scratch X-Wing fighter from Star Wars for my sons. I was thinking of use Foam Board for the fuselage of the X-Wing, has anyone here done anything like this?

Go take a look at the SEMROC website, in the components area. Carl carries a world of tube sizes that Estes never carried; I'm sure he's got something big and burly that a "D" can still lift (something over a BT-60 or ST-16 size...).

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Craftsman

[QUOTE=Thruster I was thinking of use Foam Board for the fuselage of the X-Wing, has anyone here done anything like this?[/QUOTE]

Foam board, when creased, does make some nice triangular and square/rectangular airframes. I have done a buttload of these all the way up to 6x8 for glider bodies. You'd be rather surprised how solid such constuction is, while also retaining frangibility.....these will literally *bounce* if crashed and usually not sustain too much 'accordianing'.

BTW, if you really want to save weight on your project, try to find a display case of Adams ReadiBoard at your local Dollar Tree store. This isnt available elsewhere, but it IS half the weight of standard foamboards.

Another idea, if you really want to build larger and still use like a D12, is to use meat tray foam, preferably from some of the largest 14x18 Genpak trays. These actually glue nicely with wood glue and are even lighter than any fmbd or balsa plank of decent size. Youd be amazed what is workable if you keep an open mind
Old 12-23-2007, 08:58 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Thanks for the info guys, the largest tube I saw on the semroc site is the BT 101 which is about 4" and coming soon. I was hoping there was some bigger ones, I'm not looking to make these rockets go too high because of the field sizes here on Long Island.
I have a big Slot Car track in my basement and have used the foam board to make a Tower and I love that stuff. Mike I'm going to check out some of the other board material you mentioned thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruster
Thanks for the info guys, the largest tube I saw on the semroc site is the BT 101 which is about 4" and coming soon. I was hoping there was some bigger ones, I'm not looking to make these rockets go too high because of the field sizes here on Long Island.
I have a big Slot Car track in my basement and have used the foam board to make a Tower and I love that stuff. Mike I'm going to check out some of the other board material you mentioned thanks.

Do a web search for Zeppelin Hobbies, that will take you to their web page. They carry a lot of rocketry items and will also direct you to METRA rocket club.

It seems that their listed web addres isn't working right now, but, if you do a web search, it will take you there.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Hey Doc, there is something wrong with that link, is there another way to get to that site?
Never mind.