Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Retired Missile Technician

I'll see if I can find and scan the picture of him setting up. The weather conditions were so bad you can almost see the wind!

Chas
Old 10-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Administrator

You're right. It was windy as hell that day, I was surprised that Matt even tried. He couldn't have nailed Gravagna any better if he wanted to. We can laugh about it now...well, actually I think a few people laughed then too.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:34 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
I'll see if I can find and scan the picture of him setting up. The weather conditions were so bad you can almost see the wind!

Chas

I've got a video of that somewhere, you can't hear what's being said because of the wind noise.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Buzz.....Can't find my parts list....What was the nose cone Carl used for the Centauri?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Buzz.....Can't find my parts list....What was the nose cone Carl used for the Centauri?
BC-20045
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 12-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Thanks Carl....
Old 02-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

I'm doing a bit of research on this model, to add mention of it on a web page I'm doing on the early R/C B/G's.

Is it pretty much just a conclusion that somebody, somewhere, flew it with R/C in the 1960's, because the plans or an ad said it was capable of it? So there would be no known specific person who flew it with R/C back then, but that it was the first R/C B/G?

I've not been on YORF enough to know who's who, at least as far as real names. I'd like to know who had the plans that were scanned, who scanned them , and which "Buzz" was working up the R/C model?

Did Buzz ever fly the R/C model? If so, what happened?

- George Gassaway
Old 02-01-2009, 07:04 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
I'm doing a bit of research on this model, to add mention of it on a web page I'm doing on the early R/C B/G's.

Is it pretty much just a conclusion that somebody, somewhere, flew it with R/C in the 1960's, because the plans or an ad said it was capable of it? So there would be no known specific person who flew it with R/C back then, but that it was the first R/C B/G?

I've not been on YORF enough to know who's who, at least as far as real names. I'd like to know who had the plans that were scanned, who scanned them , and which "Buzz" was working up the R/C model?

- George Gassaway
George,

The original plans were provided by Rocketflyer. I made three sets of parts from his plans and sent them out some time ago. Buzz (Eagle3) got one of the sets. As far as I know, none of them have been finished and flown.

If you want to try a set, I will send you one.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway

- George Gassaway

I suspect you are right. G. Harry just mentions in one remark that the Coaster Dynasoar could be flown with RC. He doesn't state that it had been flown with RC.

I don't think it was the first RC BG. I'm looking for 2 references on RC BG by G. Harry .

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showp...88&postcount=42

"As far as the RC Goes this from the 9/62 Am:

Tim Kendall of Phoenix, AZ builds Coaster-powered R/C R/G; not sure if this means he built the Dynasoar with RC or another scratch RC RG.

the 11/62 Am states;

.Menford Sutton flies Coaster Space Probe on demo flight at Lackland AFB, TX; he also flies Coaster Centauri B/G in a demo flight. This actually occured earlier in the summer of 62 at Lackland AFB in Texas."

I may be wrong, but I think Bernard Biales actually did the first public demo of RC BG followed by Doug Malewicki and his Snoopy RC BG.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showp...96&postcount=46 shows an ad with a RC antenna.

hth

terry dean
Old 02-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Carl wrote:
>>>>>
The original plans were provided by Rocketflyer. I made three sets of parts from his plans and sent them out some time ago. Buzz (Eagle3) got one of the sets.
<<<<<

I was wanting to give credit where credit was due, so I was looking for real names. Does Stine's Handbook list names like " Joebillybob1999"? If people want to be anonymous, fine. I tried. But I realize I have woken up a pretty cold thread here, and the Super Bowl is going on, and so forth (I have it recording on Tivo, and about to get to it when I finish sending this). So hopefully they will run across this soon and if nothing else contact me privately if they do not want their real names to be known on YORF.

>>>>>
As far as I know, none of them have been finished and flown.
<<<<<

Don (barone) mentioned flying his F/F version in message #124, on this page:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...3&page=13&pp=10

I saw the video, and things sure happened fast. He suspected the clips holding the elevons flat came off on boost. Perhaps. But after the first 180, that second 180 looks so tight that it made me think of unstable rather than just up-elevons.

What makes this bird so tough is the big heavy engine in the back, that it ejects. So if the CG is right for glide, it is tail-heavy with the engine in it. So, if it is tail-heavy enough, it could go unstable.

>>>>
If you want to try a set, I will send you one.
<<<<

Thanks for the offer, but my interest is for documenting whether this really was the first R/C B/G, or not (and if not, then who/what beat Malewicki, as it seems he was flying rudder-only pulse before Larry Renger’s SkyDancer).

It would make a good update of the history to show that somebody flew one these days, with modern R/C gear and a suitable composite motor. Possibly being the first in history to actually fly it R/C?

The F25 is way too hot for something like this, whether F/F or R/C. I flew my 1/72 shuttle stack (ET &SRB’s) with an F25, and it weighed 2.2 pounds plus the drag equal of something close to a 6” tube, and even with all that it flew so fast on boost it demanded 110% of my R/C reflexes. Yes, I said 110%, so I was only able to give it about 90% the control response it really needed during boost. Sort of the same thing when I flew my SkyDart 2X on an E11 reload, I was always “behind” in making boost corrections, it was a dream to boost on an E6.

It is too bad the old Aerotech F15 is not around anymore. In any case, a 32mm RC casing with an F13 would probably be very good for an R/C version of this, and if that worked out well, with its 3.5 second burn, then go to a G12 load with the 8 second burn.

Otherwise, a good first-flight motor for this bird would probably be an E15. Well, perhaps better would be a 24mm E12 reload (or F11 reload), or the 24mm R/C casing E11 reload. I am not that much up on Coaster engines, but for sure the FSI F100 and F7 were weak F engines, usually in the 50-55 N-sec range. And nothing says you have to make a first flight on the biggest engine that will fit in it. I never fly a new R/C model on the biggest engine it can use, I always do first boosts on lower power first to see if the boost trim is set well.

- George Gassaway

Last edited by georgegassaway : 02-01-2009 at 09:00 PM.