Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Forum Information, Rules, Etc
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2016, 07:37 AM
Ciderwright

Default Picture uploads - scaling options?

Scott, I use YORF almost exclusively from a mobile. Especially when it comes to posting pics - since that's where the pics start.

I -can- run any pics I upload through PS Touch and rescale them to a smaller size. But that step is an extra activation energy I have to overcome to make a post.

I don't use any photo hosting services. Unless Facebook counts. I don't know how well the 'public' photo links work. Besides, I don't post all my rocketry projects there, nor want too.

I'm sure allowing bigger single files is possible - but is a loosing race for you. Cameras will keep making bigger files for some time.

Is there any way to add a scaling option to the upload page? Something that rescales (and maybe rotates) on the fly - between upload and database insertion?

Charles
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:18 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Hi Charles,

There probably is a way to do that, with the latest version of vBulletin. Unfortunately, the version I run is from 2005 and does not have that capability.

The reason I limit file size is due to the fact that each upload increases the size of my database. If I allowed full-size images to be uploaded I'd soon run out of my allotted space. As it is my database is about 11gb in size.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-10-2016, 09:28 AM
Ciderwright

Oh, I understand why you limit it. I was just trying to think of ways to make my life easier. Other than only posting builds on TRF
Ad Astra Tabernamque!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Dazed and Confused

Image hosting sites are now super easy. I use Photobucket, but there are many others available. You can set the size limit of the photos one time and it will automatically resize without you ever having to do it again. Once it's set, you can just drag-n-drop your pic into the Photobucket webpage and it will create the link for you to copy and paste. You end up doing two simple things with the mouse and you have it pasted into the text of the post and ready to go. It's as easy if not easier than the process used to attach images here.

Since you are posting on TRF, with image hosting sites you can just copy and paste your complete post from YORF to TRF and not have to attach images to both sites. The image links will do the work to put the photos in the second posting.